Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Whoopsies

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Saw a Vette break a wheel like that at the TX Mile. Car barrel rolled at over 200mph. Driver lived because the car had a jungle gym cage.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
"The RFS1.7 wheel is manufactured using the newest and latest German manufacturing process that utilizes pressurized rollers to stretch the wheel to the desired specifications. By doing this we can achieve a lightweight multi-spoke wheel with pleasing aesthetics and aggressive fitments for European, Asian, and American made vehicles. "

I take it these are cast wheels, but the "stretch" property sounds concerning to me.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Yep. I know of that possibility. @TRIUMPH made my track set of wheels to extraordinary specifications so that the last thing I need to worry about is one of my wheels breaking.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Years ago was doing an autocross and some dude broke a wheel like that. However, he was running lightweight drag wheels that weren't meant for taking high-G corners like an idiot. 🤦

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
"The RFS1.7 wheel is manufactured using the newest and latest German manufacturing process that utilizes pressurized rollers to stretch the wheel to the desired specifications. By doing this we can achieve a lightweight multi-spoke wheel with pleasing aesthetics and aggressive fitments for European, Asian, and American made vehicles. "

I take it these are cast wheels, but the "stretch" property sounds concerning to me.
They are rotary forged which still means a cast center piece. The outer rim or barrel is forged. This allows them to be lighter than cast for the same load rating but the weak point is still the center hub and spokes.
To be frank, I also run a rotary forged wheel and have for 2 seasons now. I inspect them religiously after each track day though and do a lot of low speed testing before driving hard on them if it's a new set. It's been a budget thing for me as I've been upping wheel width every 2 seasons or so but now I'm settling down with a final combo and may very well get a forged wheel this winter. I'm looking at about 5k for the set.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
But the alternative my 18 yr old son is behind is to spend that 5k on a track prepped car that we can at least time attack with if not road race. Forks in the road.
When I was young I had no support for a car hobby. I've tried to make sure his life is different. He's winning his class in autox events in a car that is by no means a class killer and now he's doing well enough in sim racing that he's going to a regional Playstation event this month. Might be time for my hobby to take a back seat and see where his talent can take him.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Good fer both of ya's. Couldn't get my dad to come watch Tennessee win the Little League World Series in 69, in Montgomery, Ala. We won and the whole team got together 3 years ago. Missing 2 players. Keep up the fun.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
But the alternative my 18 yr old son is behind is to spend that 5k on a track prepped car that we can at least time attack with if not road race. Forks in the road.
When I was young I had no support for a car hobby. I've tried to make sure his life is different. He's winning his class in autox events in a car that is by no means a class killer and now he's doing well enough in sim racing that he's going to a regional Playstation event this month. Might be time for my hobby to take a back seat and see where his talent can take him.

But a 390mm rotor won't fit inside of a tiny little wheel like that...

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
It's freaking simple physics people. Don't go cheap automatically. Do the math; do the science; don't watch youtube; don't blindly trust the retailer (these people can lie - it's like that stupidass form to enter the United States that has the question "Are you a terrorist?" (I paraphrase) - if they'll blow up women and children, they'll also lie! I know it's hard to believe, but there it is. The retailer can be greedy, or stupid, or just ignorant. There ass is also in a ringer now, potentially, because if they said "yes, use THIS wheel for XY and Z and lied about its construction, they're going to need a good lawyer).

Personally, I'm surprised we don't see more this ridiculousness. "but ... but ... this guy on youtube said..!!!!!"

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
They do but don't pay attention to the prinicipials of the 1st starts. Why knot??? Look at it and pay attention.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
But a 390mm rotor won't fit inside of a tiny little wheel like that...

:unsure::unsure::unsure:
We haven't picked a car yet.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
It's freaking simple physics people. Don't go cheap automatically. Do the math; do the science; don't watch youtube; don't blindly trust the retailer (these people can lie - it's like that stupidass form to enter the United States that has the question "Are you a terrorist?" (I paraphrase) - if they'll blow up women and children, they'll also lie! I know it's hard to believe, but there it is. The retailer can be greedy, or stupid, or just ignorant. There ass is also in a ringer now, potentially, because if they said "yes, use THIS wheel for XY and Z and lied about its construction, they're going to need a good lawyer).

Personally, I'm surprised we don't see more this ridiculousness. "but ... but ... this guy on youtube said..!!!!!"
I know the vendor. I don't believe they had dishonest intentions. I believe it's a case of a vendor who sells street wheels who was paired up with a customer who had not done their research. It's a bad pairing. There was no malintent here.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Wouldn't have thought you could break a wheel like that, that was not in an accident. I wonder how much had to do with the weight of the car? You road coarse guys see this very much?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have seen it before on non-heavy cars. Shit breaks on lighter vehicles too, they corner even faster. Yes, it can happen and because I use the high speed tracks because we get a bit of our weight handicap diminished, no flipping way am I going to use anything questionable.

Saw a Corvette hit a wall one day, and I had to dodge the broken rolling wheel myself.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Stock wheels are usually better quality than their “race” counterparts… is that the case here?