Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Who said a stock 1320 couldn’t lift the front wheels?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I was at ATCO yesterday too, and I saw the car firsthand, in the flesh. Other than a wheel/tire swap, there is nothing else done to this car. And since the 1320 comes from the factory with drag radials installed, that narrows it down to just really the front skinny swap. There are no mods to his engine, suspension, transmission, body, etc.
I'd like to continue this discussion all day but Bigfoot is coming over to pick me up in his new spaceship, then we're gonna run over and hang out with the Loch Ness monster before he closes the pool for the winter.
The worst part is I was suppose to be at ATCO this weekend but due to a driveshaft failure I had to cancel . That's a huge bonus for the 1320 you don't have to worry about breaking driveshaft .

Say hi to nessie for me .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
The 1320 like the demon has 2 main advantages . The transbrake and the suspension. With any racing suspension is key . I have the demon spring and swaybars but I would really love to get the shock calibrations too . The transbrake would be interesting but I hear a lot of people don't use it or it's too complicated .

The transbrake is a pain to use. Dodge could've made it a one button affair, but instead you have to do a series of things in a certain order and if you mess up one thing in the process (which can be as simple as letting pressure slightly off of a button), then it cancels out and you have to start from square one in the process, you can't just repress that button and continue. So, most people don't use it for those reasons. Everyone wants to compare these cars to regular Scat Packs, and they aren't the same car...by several hundred pounds they aren't the same car. Then add in the suspension, torque converter, factory drag radials, etc, and you get something different, with different capabilities. We're even getting Scat Pack guys telling us our cars are the same just with different badges, and they are clearly not the same. Most people would really have to fight to pull 300 lbs of weight from their Scat Pack, whereas Dodge did it for us 1320 owners already, so that gives us an advantage right from the start. And if we start pulling more niceties from our cars, we are still ahead of the game. I don't have heated seats, power steering column, higher end sound system, cooled seats, or any of that other mumbo jumbo to start with, so I already have a weight advantage (well not me personally because I ate a trackburger and some chili cheese fries at the track yesterday), but you get my point. If my car is starting off 300 lbs lighter, and then I cutout even more by removing all of the trunk panels, and panels under the hood, I'll still be lighter because the regular Scat Pack owner would have to do major surgery to his car to get the same weight reduction, that Dodge did for me already.
I haven't invested the time in learning how to use my transbrake properly. I plan to do that, but I could get distracted.......

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #63
The 1320 like the demon has 2 main advantages . The transbrake and the suspension. With any racing suspension is key . I have the demon spring and swaybars but I would really love to get the shock calibrations too . The transbrake would be interesting but I hear a lot of people don't use it or it's too complicated .

I did not, and have not, used the Trans Brake in any run I've done in this car. I've practiced using it in an empty parking lot (and attracted the attention of a rather irritable State Policeman), but I find trying to effect the Trans Brake process in the staging lanes running a .5 Pro Tree too cumbersome and distracting. Further, I've spoken with many Demon owners who have said they get better results footbraking than they do with their Trans Brake.

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I did not, and have not, used the Trans Brake in any run I've done in this car. I've practiced using it in an empty parking lot (and attracted the attention of a rather irritable State Policeman), but I find trying to affect the Trans Brake process in the staging lanes running a .5 Pro Tree too cumbersome and distracting. Further, I've spoken with many Demon owners who have said they get better results footbraking than they do with their Trans Brake.
I hear that a lot . I'm probably too dumb to use it any way .

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #65
My car, just as you see it in the picture, weighs 4,050 lbs with a half tank of gas.

In this run, I had approximately 1/4 tank of gas, so subtract 27 lbs to get to 4,023...add in driver's weight of 225, and as shown in picture, this 4,248 lb monster lifted its front wheel at launch.

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #66
And for those questioning why only one wheel, and the driver's wheel at that, I don't know.

What I do know is that after this run, I had spun my tires on the wheel, and spent the rest of the past two days feeling "spin" at launch when no sign of the rear spinning could be seen...I believe I could have had even better runs than my 11.428 had the tires not loosened on the wheels.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

And the torque converter, we have a different one than you guys do. There's no one magical element here, it's a package of elements, most of which are some of the first mods people would do to their car for racing at the drag strip, which is what the 1320 is aimed toward. It's not aimed at road racing courses or other types of racing like Hellcats and Redeyes. Your cars are designed to cover various types of driving events, whereas we have more of a one trick pony. And for those of us that bought 1320's that's the trick we were interested in the most. I don't have any road race course near me, but I do have multiple drag strips within 90 minutes in all directions, not to mention the historical street venues that have been around since my father was street racing in the 1960's.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
The transbrake is a pain to use. Dodge could've made it a one button affair, but instead you have to do a series of things in a certain order and if you mess up one thing in the process (which can be as simple as letting pressure slightly off of a button), then it cancels out and you have to start from square one in the process, you can't just repress that button and continue. So, most people don't use it for those reasons. Everyone wants to compare these cars to regular Scat Packs, and they aren't the same car...by several hundred pounds they aren't the same car. Then add in the suspension, torque converter, factory drag radials, etc, and you get something different, with different capabilities. We're even getting Scat Pack guys telling us our cars are the same just with different badges, and they are clearly not the same. Most people would really have to fight to pull 300 lbs of weight from their Scat Pack, whereas Dodge did it for us 1320 owners already, so that gives us an advantage right from the start. And if we start pulling more niceties from our cars, we are still ahead of the game. I don't have heated seats, power steering column, higher end sound system, cooled seats, or any of that other mumbo jumbo to start with, so I already have a weight advantage (well not me personally because I ate a trackburger and some chili cheese fries at the track yesterday), but you get my point. If my car is starting off 300 lbs lighter, and then I cutout even more by removing all of the trunk panels, and panels under the hood, I'll still be lighter because the regular Scat Pack owner would have to do major surgery to his car to get the same weight reduction, that Dodge did for me already.
I haven't invested the time in learning how to use my transbrake properly. I plan to do that, but I could get distracted.......
Excellent points . I remember when the R/T guys said the same thing about the SRT8's. . And yes the weight thing is a huge deal . I'm working on some weight reduction for track events without getting to carried away . It's hard to find the fine line . Next year in full race trim my car will weigh in around 4000 lbs with out me in it. What does a factory 1 seat 1320 with no options weigh in at? The 1320 is a unique package that is different from the 392 cars the same way the demon is different from the hellcat .

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
And the torque converter, we have a different one than you guys do. There's no one magical element here, it's a package of elements, most of which are some of the first mods people would do to their car for racing at the drag strip, which is what the 1320 is aimed toward. It's not aimed at road racing courses or other types of racing like Hellcats and Redeyes. Your cars are designed to cover various types of driving events, whereas we have more of a one trick pony. And for those of us that bought 1320's that's the trick we were interested in the most. I don't have any road race course near me, but I do have multiple drag strips within 90 minutes in all directions, not to mention the historical street venues that have been around since my father was street racing in the 1960's.
I didn't mention the converter because that can be changed on the other cars but the transbrake and suspension are unique and as of now can not be duplicated .
And yes I also agree on the usage of the cars from the factory. I tried to get a demon because I'm a drag racer and not a road course guy. But I couldn't get a demon and refused to pay ridiculous markups . That's why I bough a hellcat and modified it the way I did . Drag racing and road trips for me.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Excellent points . I remember when the R/T guys said the same thing about the SRT8's. . And yes the weight thing is a huge deal . I'm working on some weight reduction for track events without getting to carried away . It's hard to find the fine line . Next year in full race trim my car will weigh in around 4000 lbs with out me in it. What does a factory 1 seat 1320 with no options weigh in at? The 1320 is a unique package that is different from the 392 cars the same way the demon is different from the hellcat .

It's going to be just over 4000, and definitely not over 4100. My car was 4146 shipped from Brampton. I have full interior and a sunroof. You can knock out @ 110 lbs or so removing the extra seats, i don't know what the difference is between the sunroof and all of its parts vs the regular roof steel but I'm sure the sunroof has to weigh more than a reinforcing rib and a piece of sheet metal.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
My car, just as you see it in the picture, weighs 4,050 lbs with a half tank of gas.

In this run, I had approximately 1/4 tank of gas, so subtract 27 lbs to get to 4,023...add in driver's weight of 225, and as shown in picture, this 4,248 lb monster lifted its front wheel at launch.
Interesting.... As of right now my car in race trim weighs 4150 lbs with a full tank of full. (Race wheels and tires , 1 viper seats and rear seat delete . I usually start my race day with a full tank of gas)

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
The car is not modified power wise. I remember him asking questions about suspension but even with any slight tweaks to the suspension, I believe the car to be very stock. It was probably driven 200 miles to Atco from N.VA and back. That really is great performance out of a stock 6.4!

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
It's going to be just over 4000, and definitely not over 4100. My car was 4146 shipped from Brampton. I have full interior and a sunroof. You can knock out @ 110 lbs or so removing the extra seats, i don't know what the difference is between the sunroof and all of its parts vs the regular roof steel but I'm sure the sunroof has to weigh more than a reinforcing rib and a piece of sheet metal.
I'm sure the seats done vary much between models .
Factory heated/cooled seats from my car

Drivers side 80lbs
Passenger side 60lbs
Rear seat and all the belts 59 lbs (the rear seat delete kit weighs 11 lbs added back if you install it)
I hear varying Info on Sun roofs 25-50lbs

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #74
The car is not modified power wise. I remember him asking questions about suspension but even with any slight tweaks to the suspension, I believe the car to be very stock. It was probably driven 200 miles to Atco from N.VA and back. That really is great performance out of a stock 6.4!
Questions were asked, but as of this date, no tweaks or modifications to suspension. Bone stock, as previously specified.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Questions were asked, but as of this date, no tweaks or modifications to suspension. Bone stock, as previously specified.
You are getting great traction. Are you running the original rear tires?

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I was curious about this also.
I have nitto NTO5R's and have had 60' issues.
I think my car has sub 12's in it but I could lose some weight and get better tires.And skinnies.
Not so spun up about the quicker times, just need to gain a little consistency/repeatability.

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #77
You are getting great traction. Are you running the original rear tires?
I was curious about this also.
I have nitto NTO5R's and have had 60' issues.
I think my car has sub 12's in it but I could lose some weight and get better tires.And skinnies.
Not so spun up about the quicker times, just need to gain a little consistency/repeatability.
No. Friday and Saturday was the first time I ran these MT E Street R's (305/45/18). The track prep was so good, I spun the tires on the rims and that's why I believe I wasn't turning in as many runs like my PB...now I have to wait an entire Winter before getting them back on after having them remounted, balanced, and glued into place (and yes, this time I'll know to chalk the rim & tire).

I gotta say, I really liked the way the 305/45's looked; that's a lot of beef back there!

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Congrats! A clear picture finally emerges. I was wrong the 1320 can lift the tire. I still find it a little hard to believe.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Congrats! A clear picture finally emerges. I was wrong the 1320 can lift the tire. I still find it a little hard to believe.
I agree. Congrats!

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Track closure is surely a bummer!
The weather is still pretty dry here so I am back to street jackassery.
Forgestar D5's on order with Hoosier's so next season should be fun!
The 1320's have inspired this fatbody to see what the 392 can do.