Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What do I need to know before buying?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I wood have to agree. Even though reverse is tough sum times. Not enough miles in reverse ,, yet. Try again tomorrow on the beach sweep after the garage. Guy down the street has a 6.1 425 HP Challenger. Did I dream this??

Member ID
Reactions
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
17 Charger Hellcat
Get a 17+ ideally 18+ as it had some changes to axles, DS and blower. Add in the cost of wider rear wheels and better tires or a full new set of wheels and tires. You will want them if you like to use the car as its supposed to be used .

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
What I would like to know is, what do I need to know before deciding on a car?
All you really need to know is common knowledge:

The dually fenders look kinda funky and M6s are slow. Aside from that, just pick a color you like.

Davoo376

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 Hellcat Challenger
43A45A21-9D2F-4B19-A283-2011AA11E090.jpeg I love my manual cat! You really need to upgrade the shifter to a Barton shifter and delete the clutch delay valve to make the car feel the way it should from the factory. I believe the 15’s had some issues with supercharger bearings but I haven’t heard of any other issues with other years. If you can find a manual in the used market you can probably find a pretty good deal. Good luck!
You can get the M6 from the factory with flares but there are also aftermarket options

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I own a 15 Hellcat and a 19 Redeye. Both are awesome cars. Just don’t buy one that’s been beat to hell.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Welcome aboard and good points so far which is always helpful to ask others upon making decisions. I personally don't think you can go too wrong on any year Hellcat since they are really a good car. And for the last 5 years following the Hellcats and I have now owned 4 the Supercharger bearing early on was the only thing that really jumps out at me. I have heard stories of the Manual having issues but nothing radical being your not racing her. I would feel the manual option will narrow your options since the manuals was not the bigger produced model. And from the get go I am assuming you are looking at the Challenger since thats the only Manual option between the Hellcats. I own the Charger and Challenger Hellcats and love the auto. I also own the new Mustangs as well with the Manual and autos and yes the Manual is fun but slow, slow. slow to me. I would look for a 10k or less Hellcat 2-3 years old since this will be the garage queen owner and you get the enjoyment of a really nice car at 20k plus less. You should be in the low to mid 40s for a really nice Hellcat. And the economy is getting ready to take a dump which you just may luck out and even find a 2018 or so for high 40s with little to no miles. Patience is tough but the real story of the economy is not right now. But if your in hurry go for it and good luck.
Good point about the economy NOT taking center stage. 40M (!) out of a job and the stock market (and media) dont seem to "get it". This shit is scary AF. When do you think "reality" will hit? The FED is printing money, sure, but with THAT many people out of work and so many businesses dead or at least dying on the vine...

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
If you get the Auto A8 you won’t be disappointed either. I typically only shift the gears myself with the paddle shifters.. you can bark short shifts off on this car and it sounds like a gun shot. Over 5k Rpm gear rips are insane thus the term hellcat. In a tunnel it’s one of the best sounding cars I’ve ever heard. The A8 is just an amazing transmission/Experience and in my opinion only one small step under a Porsche PDK and a proper dual clutch. It makes all the right sounds and can go from driving like miss daisy in street mode/econo to in an instant a full out nascar sound especially over 4100 when exhaust valves kick open.

OP
Highway308
Member ID
Reactions
City
Everett
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
None yet
Thread Starter #28
So, I took a road trip from PA to IN to pick up this 2016 with 8K miles. So far, so good. Thank you for all of your help!

The only thing on my list so far will be to upgrade the shifter. I want to drive it awhile before I swap it out so I get a better appreciation for the change.

Any other "must have" upgrades?

Attachments

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Extended warranty and or pre nupt. I went for the car 3 times and won. Car and bank account.
That's the most sense you've made in years...;)(y)(y);)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
So, I took a road trip from PA to IN to pick up this 2016 with 8K miles. So far, so good. Thank you for all of your help!

The only thing on my list so far will be to upgrade the shifter. I want to drive it awhile before I swap it out so I get a better appreciation for the change.

Any other "must have" upgrades?
Congrats....gonna have alotta fun with that ride...you did good;););)