Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Unknown Noise

Member ID
Reactions
City
ELLENBORO
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HellCat
2016 auto. Going for a cruise - everythings normal. After 30-40 mi. I get this noise that you first notice as you come to a stop. It sounds like it could be something in the tire, but it's not. You slow down, it slows down, you speed up it speeds up. But you can only hear it it very slow speed. The longer you drive it, you can hear it at normal speed. No vibration or anything else strange, just noise. Any suggestions?

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
STAR Case number S1522000002

Release Date: 12/15/2015

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Click Sound Heard From Front Of Vehicle During Turning At Low Speeds

Diagnosis:

An audible “click” sound may be heard in the front of the vehicle during low speed turning in forward or reverse directions. This clicking noise may be caused by a dirty wheel surface mounting area.

Note: This applies to 2 piece and traditional 1 piece rotors.

Repair Procedure:
1. Clean the wheel matting surfaces on the back of the wheel and front face of the rotor hat

using a finger bristle disc such as a yellow 3M Scotch-BriteTM Roloc 07525 with holder 05539, and/or Scotch-BriteTM Brake Hub Cleaning Disc Kit 07547 or equivalents .

https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/two-piece-rotors-clicking.243/#post-6018

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
2016 auto. Going for a cruise - everythings normal. After 30-40 mi. I get this noise that you first notice as you come to a stop. It sounds like it could be something in the tire, but it's not. You slow down, it slows down, you speed up it speeds up. But you can only hear it it very slow speed. The longer you drive it, you can hear it at normal speed. No vibration or anything else strange, just noise. Any suggestions?
What kind of noise..scrape..bang..grind..click..howl..what kinda noise you talkin about,,:unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Sounds like the noise of a small child in the back seat. The noise gets louder the faster you are going and turns into a soft grumble as you slow down. Similar in loudness to the female sitting next to you but completely different look on the faces:unsure:

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
ELLENBORO
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HellCat
Thread Starter #5
Best I can describe is something between a clicking and rubbing. It's low freq. Again, it don't do it for about the first 30 mi. Then becomes noticeable as your stopping. Can't feel it, but can hear it (slight noise) in the car. Wife says she can't hear it outside as I roll by. The more you drive it gets to where you can hear it as your traveling 60 mph. It's definitely rotary, and worsens as things heat up. Crazy question - Can tires be expanding as they heat up and causing a rub? I've raised the front end, spun the tires, nothing loose, no noise, slight brake drag (as normal)

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Best I can describe is something between a clicking and rubbing. It's low freq. Again, it don't do it for about the first 30 mi. Then becomes noticeable as your stopping. Can't feel it, but can hear it (slight noise) in the car. Wife says she can't hear it outside as I roll by. The more you drive it gets to where you can hear it as your traveling 60 mph. It's definitely rotary, and worsens as things heat up. Crazy question - Can tires be expanding as they heat up and causing a rub? I've raised the front end, spun the tires, nothing loose, no noise, slight brake drag (as normal)
Post #2 may be what you are hearing

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Post #2 may be what you are hearing
I don't know after post #5. Shouldn't be able to hear it at 60 MPH. However, it's super easy to pop the wheels off and clean those surfaces to be sure. Make sure to properly torque the lug nuts 111 ft/lbs too.

OP- unless you're running really wide aftermarket wheels/tires, normal thermal expansion won't cause a rub.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Video of the sound?

Perhaps both from inside the car, and from a helper as you drive by?

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Does your Hellcat have any after market Mods?

Linda :)

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
ELLENBORO
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HellCat
Thread Starter #10
I don't know after post #5. Shouldn't be able to hear it at 60 MPH. However, it's super easy to pop the wheels off and clean those surfaces to be sure. Make sure to properly torque the lug nuts 111 ft/lbs too.

OP- unless you're running really wide aftermarket wheels/tires, normal thermal expansion won't cause a rub.
Stock tires and wheels. I'm not sayin' it ain't brakes, or the mating surfaces, but I don't believe it is. Noise speeds up with the car (after 25-30 miles) and sounds like something rubbing on rotation. I was wondering about something going on in the drivetrain. Is something happening when fluid reaches a certain temp (I surely hope not).

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
ELLENBORO
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HellCat
Thread Starter #11

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Take a look underneath and look all the way along the driveshaft and make sure there are no score marks going around in a circle.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
do yourself a favor an check wheels for torque, so it can be ruled out.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
do yourself a favor an check wheels for torque, so it can be ruled out.
agreed...then check every visible moving part,for some kind of wear marks..keep a log of everything you rule out..,

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
ELLENBORO
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HellCat
Thread Starter #15
I will give it a good inspection. Thanks for your time and input. I will post findings