Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Two-piece rotors clicking

Hellcat Girl

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat
Hi,

Has anyone noted an issue with a rotational clicking on the two-piece rotors? I had it on the front right rotor which was replaced. I now have it on the front left. Is this a known issue?

[dunno]

RonHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I've read over on the SRT forums about people having premature warped brakes but so far I have no issues with mine. How many miles do you have on yours?

Member ID
Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger
No issues with my brakes either.

OP
H

Hellcat Girl

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #4
I've read over on the SRT forums about people having premature warped brakes but so far I have no issues with mine. How many miles do you have on yours?
I'm at 2500 miles. I'll mention the brake warping issue when I take it in to the tech. Thanks for the info.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Yes my Redeye is getting the rotors replaced this week.

steven_sbs

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Southern
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Plum Crazy 2019 Redeye Widebody
Yes my Redeye is getting the rotors replaced this week.
This may be an old thread, are you having this issue?

STAR Case number S1522000002

Release Date: 12/15/2015

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Click Sound Heard From Front Of Vehicle During Turning At Low Speeds

Diagnosis:

An audible “click” sound may be heard in the front of the vehicle during low speed turning in forward or reverse directions. This clicking noise may be caused by a dirty wheel surface mounting area.

Note: This applies to 2 piece and traditional 1 piece rotors.

Repair Procedure:
1. Clean the wheel matting surfaces on the back of the wheel and front face of the rotor hat

using a finger bristle disc such as a yellow 3M Scotch-BriteTM Roloc 07525 with holder 05539, and/or Scotch-BriteTM Brake Hub Cleaning Disc Kit 07547 or equivalents .

Contact the STAR Center for assistance if no solution is found

Attachments

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Yes dealer is replacing both front rotors.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
Hi,

Has anyone noted an issue with a rotational clicking on the two-piece rotors? I had it on the front right rotor which was replaced. I now have it on the front left. Is this a known issue?

[dunno]
Since you have a 2015, make sure you have a look at this also...I thought mine was the rotors and ended up being my rear differential.

Attachments

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Don't let the stealership take your warranty money. Clean the contact surfaces where the wheel bolts to the hub first. Might as well do a rotate while you're at it. Maybe go to a different shop too.

Never mind. Just noticed this is an old post :)

Stl376

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
O'fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat A8
I know this is an old thread... but I had a ticking/clicking on my 16 392, from the front brakes, especially at low speed turns. I took off the wheels and found that the shocks both had a 3in or so label stuck to them that protruded and would hit the wheel (think baseball card in your bike spokes). I cut those off and the sound was gone.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Mine clicked during turns and lug nuts weren't torqued to spec from factory. Problem solved.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Don't let the stealership take your warranty money. Clean the contact surfaces where the wheel bolts to the hub first.
lol what? Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. The manufacturer holds the warranty $, not the user. And if the manufacturer has a process that they are going to pay the 'stealership' to perform on the car to remedy the situation at no charge to the customer.....why would the customer do it themselves?

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
lol what? Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. The manufacturer holds the warranty $, not the user. And if the manufacturer has a process that they are going to pay the 'stealership' to perform on the car to remedy the situation at no charge to the customer.....why would the customer do it themselves?
I know. What I'm saying is some stealerships look for non-existent issues to fix and get paid for under warranty.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
I know. What I'm saying is some stealerships look for non-existent issues to fix and get paid for under warranty.
That doesn't last long when a store goes down that path. All manufacturers perform audits of their franchises that trip red flags. They compare labor operation frequency against peer groups and warranty costs-per-unit-serviced-averages (among other metrics).

When a store trips a red flag, the manufacturer goes up their ass with a microscope and charges back repair orders that don't meet their validation criteria. Those chargebacks can be be in the hundreds of thousands. Once the store is in the audit process, there doesn't even have to be an unnecessary repair performed to add to the chargeback total. The tech might not have time-stamped the RO or even something as stupid as improper documentation will cost the store money. Either way, high warranty costs start the ball rolling...they'll just pile on EVERYTHING they find along the way. It's usually very messy for the operation when things get to that point.

The few dealers that persist even after that kind of smackdown then run afoul of their franchise agreements and lose their operation. That type of thing is rare, for obvious reasons. Dealers get the point real quick after an audit chargeback.

I get that everyone mistrusts the dealership and that's never going to change. However, having a dealer perform unnecessary warranty work should be the least of anyone's concerns. The manufacturers aren't about to throw millions of dollars a year at unnecessary warranty and they have powerful tools to combat the practice. If anything, there will be a fight to get the dealer TO DO something under warranty if they are running hot with a particular labor operation. No one wants to be on the radar.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Had my rotors replaced under warranty. 818C5781-C9FC-445D-85CD-195EC47427AE.jpeg BD99D1A1-9653-45DC-9997-6C2004EA8D06.jpeg

Greengohellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
York Region
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
My rotors were replaced under warranty for pulsing upon braking application.
The new rotors began to do this click sound as soon as l got home. I went to this site and found what others had done with the click and followed suit. I took off the wheels, scotch-brited the rear of the rims a bit voila! No more clicks, been 2 years...
Had that not worked, I would've followed up with the dealer again...

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
^^^ Simple fix everyone should be aware of.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
My rotors were replaced under warranty for pulsing upon braking application.
The new rotors began to do this click sound as soon as l got home. I went to this site and found what others had done with the click and followed suit. I took off the wheels, scotch-brited the rear of the rims a bit voila! No more clicks, been 2 years...
Had that not worked, I would've followed up with the dealer again...
Yeah... there's a TSB for that and that's exactly what they recommend :)

Bob
Riverside, California