Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Traction / Stability Control

Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I feel like I sometimes beat this topic like a dead horse... but I can't help but wonder. For those that haven't (or have) read my other concerns on this forum and past forums, my Redeye is my first "sports car" that has had traction control. My 04 & 06 SRT-10 Ram's and my 06 & 08 Viper's had no save your ass gadgetry. Anyhow, even when I turn my traction/stability "full off" I still seem to feel some type of interference at times, slight but felt. Additionally I have heard others mention that their line lock feature did not like driving around the water box and backing into place while trying to heat the tires. I have also felt that if I back out of a driveway, put the car in drive (while in full off mode) and mash the gas pedal it will not always let the tires spin. I could drive a little, come to a full stop and do the same thing and the car will incinerate the tires, clearly. Has anyone noticed that the car will not function at its fullest capabilities from these scenarios? Thanks in advance! Sincerely, Mr. Extra-Sensitive-Butt-Dyno

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I can't help with anything other than the line lock issue. The answer is actually a simple one: TAKE YOUR TIME. Every time the car is given an instruction regarding the line lock you must give it a bit for that command to activate. Not giving the car time to 'get there' is the issue most of the time.

There are three overall things necessary from the driver to make the line lock work properly every time:

1 - give the car time to activate each command
2 - get brake pressure over 1300 psi
3 - push only the OK button when setting the line lock.
(a big ol' thumb pushing hard on that button can easily
touch another button, this will deactivate the line lock.
I use my index finger and push with normal pressure.)

And as for your other butt dyno issues... hopefully someone else with as sensitive of a butt dyno as yours can chime in here and help.

PJO

Member ID
Reactions
City
Louisville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Perhaps this quote from Jim Wilder, vehicle development manger with SRT, although it was in relation to a 2020 Charger HC review in Autoweek, explains why it seems even in Track Mode, there is a little traction control: “Some people tend to use the gas pedal as a light switch, and with these cars, you have to be progressive,” “So, we put a little traction control back in as a safeguard.” The quote was specific to track mode.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I can't help with anything other than the line lock issue. The answer is actually a simple one: TAKE YOUR TIME. Every time the car is given an instruction regarding the line lock you must give it a bit for that command to activate. Not giving the car time to 'get there' is the issue most of the time.

There are three overall things necessary from the driver to make the line lock work properly every time:

1 - give the car time to activate each command
2 - get brake pressure over 1300 psi
3 - push only the OK button when setting the line lock.
(a big ol' thumb pushing hard on that button can easily
touch another button, this will deactivate the line lock.
I use my index finger and push with normal pressure.)

And as for your other butt dyno issues... hopefully someone else with as sensitive of a butt dyno as yours can chime in here and help.
AND, the steering wheel needs to be at 0 degrees.
The line lock on my Redeye works a lot better than my Scat.
Also, when I push the traction control button to the "traction control off" message it is truly terrifying!!!!!!
I'm not sure when you would use it unless you were on an airport tarmac(lots of room for error) or a closed course set up for drifting.
Linda sez I will use it at the strip but I'm thinking traction is going to be an issue there as well.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I get the quickest times on the street in default modes except for track tranny, and the "progressive" press from start to somewhere in second gear @WOT. That is done by listening to the tires IMO. I hope with different rear bushings I can launch harder without a hop, we will see.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
And there is turning off the SC and TC AND TURNING IT OFF! I don't have a Red Eye. But the Hellcat TC button must be held until it chime's to turn fully off both functions. And then your on your own. And you can tell !

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I have still been running on dampish sort of dry but not really asphalt but am really looking forward to practice runs on warm dry surfaces.

Probably two months out on that...

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Perhaps this quote from Jim Wilder, vehicle development manger with SRT, although it was in relation to a 2020 Charger HC review in Autoweek, explains why it seems even in Track Mode, there is a little traction control: “Some people tend to use the gas pedal as a light switch, and with these cars, you have to be progressive,” “So, we put a little traction control back in as a safeguard.” The quote was specific to track mode.
This sounds like what I have experienced.
Track mode still manages tire spin on the Redeye where as the traction control button.... Boy Howdy!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Like I have posted before only once on a street in my '15 did I explore the difference in totally shutting off the traction and stability control with the "chime". I never tried it again. No reason to even try it on the RE IMO.

OP
N
Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #10
Sorry if I mislead... I used the line lock reference to see if others had issues with going from reverse to forward and wondering if this had anything to do with not allowing the tires to fully spin. As if it is a built in safety feature as we have all seen examples of people getting a little too hot on the throttle with cold tires. Additionally I am holding the traction button down until the traction display on the screen turns red and stated that it is off. Not to sound childish (although this car does make me a little giddy) but there have been times where I have left a friends house after restarting the car after stopping for a minute (car still at full temperature), backed out of their driveway, come to a full stop, put the car in drive and floored it (traction also full off) and the car acted as if the traction control is on. You could then drive down the road a little ways, stop and mash the gas and the car does seem like the traction is full off. I am so curious if there are added safety measures built into the PCM for a car that was just started or backed up.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Sorry if I mislead... I used the line lock reference to see if others had issues with going from reverse to forward and wondering if this had anything to do with not allowing the tires to fully spin. As if it is a built in safety feature as we have all seen examples of people getting a little too hot on the throttle with cold tires. Additionally I am holding the traction button down until the traction display on the screen turns red and stated that it is off. Not to sound childish (although this car does make me a little giddy) but there have been times where I have left a friends house after restarting the car after stopping for a minute (car still at full temperature), backed out of their driveway, come to a full stop, put the car in drive and floored it (traction also full off) and the car acted as if the traction control is on. You could then drive down the road a little ways, stop and mash the gas and the car does seem like the traction is full off. I am so curious if there are added safety measures built into the PCM for a car that was just started or backed up.
I have not tried it like this.
I did not have skinnies for my Scat so I was driving around and backing in to the burnout box and the line lock most definitely did not like that and I finally gave up and just used the foot brake.
The line lock on the Redeye, actually the whole car seems less glitchy than my Scat.
As far as the traction control, it would not surprise me if FCA didn't still have some overrides in certain situations like you described.
The weather is supposed to dry up a couple of days next week so we will have to do a little scientific testing...

OP
N
Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #12
I have not tried it like this.
I did not have skinnies for my Scat so I was driving around and backing in to the burnout box and the line lock most definitely did not like that and I finally gave up and just used the foot brake.
The line lock on the Redeye, actually the whole car seems less glitchy than my Scat.
As far as the traction control, it would not surprise me if FCA didn't still have some overrides in certain situations like you described.
The weather is supposed to dry up a couple of days next week so we will have to do a little scientific testing...
Hello, I believe you were the one I remember saying this about the water box and backing in, I could not remember where I read it. Thanks for chiming in. My car will be tucked away for about another couple months as the weather up here stinks. If you do some experimenting I would love to know your results, please post them in this thread. For me it has happened enough times to where I know I'm not imagining it. I have also felt even when driving around with the traction "full off" I have felt mild interference, especially when on a slightly choppy road surface and aggressive cornering while heavy on the throttle. The car will start drifting but as soon as it shifts gears (1-2 or 2-3) in the middle of the drift and the bumby'ish road it seems to pull power. I commonly drive around in my custom setting which is, trans -track, traction - sport, susp - street, steering - sport, then I hold the traction button down for 5 or 6 seconds until it chimes and shows the traction go to off and turns red. Trying to be as detailed as possible. I swear there are protective measures you cannot turn off in there somewhere, especially as I had noted coming from reverse or park into drive.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
So, I tried this today and I agree with you on this scenario.
When I was in custom mode all track except for the suspension which was street I put the traction control in full off and then backed up and turned and hammered it and it was just as you described.
The car monitored and corrected as if it was in track mode.
But when I shut it off and was not turning /backing it was full on holy shit!!
Go figure, FCA saves us from ourselves!
Next time use the line lock and your friends will most definitely be impressed!

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Actually mine is the opposite, I've never noticed the traction control to do anything on my car. I've had many cars with traction control and all of them have intervened when tire spin was detected, but this car just loves to light them up with no interference at all. I question is the stability control does anything on this car either since I don't have any confidence that the traction control does anything.

OP
N
Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #15
So, I tried this today and I agree with you on this scenario.
When I was in custom mode all track except for the suspension which was street I put the traction control in full off and then backed up and turned and hammered it and it was just as you described.
The car monitored and corrected as if it was in track mode.
But when I shut it off and was not turning /backing it was full on holy shit!!
Go figure, FCA saves us from ourselves!
Next time use the line lock and your friends will most definitely be impressed!
Maybe it has something to do with the steering wheel not being straight. I will need to figure out if it still happens when going from reverse to forward if the steering wheel is perfectly straight. One time that really surprised me was when I gave a friend a quick ride, stopped to drop him off near the end of his driveway and then went to take off like a bat-out-of-hell and the car did not fully spin the tires. I did have the wheel turned a little bit but never put it in reverse. I wonder if there is something with reverse, park, or even a door opening, that changes something in the stability control. I am on a mission to figure this out. Not like I need to sound like a maniac, and not that I need to leave a smokey trail everywhere I go, but it is rather embarrassing when all your buddies chant you on for a smokey burnout and you can't do it with 800HP on tap. Lol! I also know that once the car does allow for a full-out smoke show I can smoke the tires for hundreds of feet while applying corrective steering at speed and that does not stop it from spinning.

OP
N
Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #16
Actually mine is the opposite, I've never noticed the traction control to do anything on my car. I've had many cars with traction control and all of them have intervened when tire spin was detected, but this car just loves to light them up with no interference at all. I question is the stability control does anything on this car either since I don't have any confidence that the traction control does anything.
Interesting. I wonder if something has changed with the traction/stability control in the newer models. Do me a favor if you don't mind... Backup for 30, 40, or 50 feet, then assure that your car is not dead straight when you start to roll forward and then mash the gas (maybe a 10* turn). Be sure to have the traction full off. Let me know if it simply incinerates the tires even coming out of a slight turn and then straightening, or if it seems to apply some traction control.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Interesting. I wonder if something has changed with the traction/stability control in the newer models. Do me a favor if you don't mind... Backup for 30, 40, or 50 feet, then assure that your car is not dead straight when you start to roll forward and then mash the gas (maybe a 10* turn). Be sure to have the traction full off. Let me know if it simply incinerates the tires even coming out of a slight turn and then straightening, or if it seems to apply some traction control.
Ok.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Sharpie.

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Big arm twist to go burn rubber eh? Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Big arm twist to go burn rubber eh? Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would do a double like on this post if I could!