Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thoughts on Octane Edition?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I currently have a fully optioned 2018 Hellcat Charger. I have a deal ready to go to trade her in on a black Octane edition fully optioned. I’m only trading because I like the better door panels and dash over what I have.
What do you all think, pull the trigger and get rid of my 18 pitch black with black calipers, brass monkeys, sunroof and HK for the Octane Edition with Sunroof and HK?

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I wouldn't do it...I like the look of the Octane edition other than the cloth seats, but wouldn't go from an 18 to a 19. If you really want an upgrade why not go for a 2020 Widebody Charger. I'm not a fan of the widebody on the Challenger but think it looks pretty good on the Chargers.

OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I wouldn't do it...I like the look of the Octane edition other than the cloth seats, but wouldn't go from an 18 to a 19. If you really want an upgrade why not go for a 2020 Widebody Charger. I'm not a fan of the widebody on the Challenger but think it looks pretty good on the Chargers.
I agree with you on the seats. I ended up signing the papers tonight. It’s supposed to be in Tuesday. The seats will be recovered in black leather perforated center with red stitching to match the Octane stitching with hellcat logo. Katzkin was part of the deal and I keep the originals Incase I decide to sell or trade in. I’m also getting different factory rims and keeping the originals too. I’m not a fan of the current widebodies. They look like cars with Ram fender flares right now. The Charger front fascia and rear look good but wish they redid body panels instead of stick on flares.

The big thing for me trading in my 18 is I wasn’t a fan of the plastic elephant skin. I traded in a ‘12 300 SRT for my current Hellcat. The interior was incredible. Leather dash and door panels. The ‘19 Interior doesn’t have the plastic elephant skin. I get line lock, a chiller and the octane has the center armrest in the rear seat that lowers again, like the older Cats did. The big thing is I have a newer car that’s loaded that I paid less for than my ‘18. They gave me more than I owed for my ‘18.

I was in going into finance last week with an Octane. The dealer was getting the car out of a dealer in Clearwater Florida. The options I wanted were very hard to come by. The GM of the dealer who had the car called the dealer I was buying from and told him he couldn’t have the car now. They just sold it to a MLB Baseball player out of TX. I was pissed but ended up getting an even better deal. I looked at the sticker of that car that I was going to buy and found out it was missing the power convenience group option. I had missed it.... I got one that had Every option. Very thankful.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I'm ok with the cloth (if I was buying one) and I like the red stiching/belts, but I'm not ok with paying $1500 extra for cloth seats w/o ventilation. The stripes, blacked out badges, and 1320/Daytona wheels definitely don't add value to me compared to the standard HC features.

OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
I'm ok with the cloth (if I was buying one) and I like the red stiching/belts, but I'm not ok with paying $1500 extra for cloth seats w/o ventilation. The stripes, blacked out badges, and 1320/Daytona wheels definitely don't add value to me compared to the standard HC features.
The Octane Edition has both heated and ventilated seats in the front and heated in the back. Center Armrest comes down again too in the back seat.

Attachments

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Here is my sticker. I’ll guess I’ll find out Tuesday. The one I test drove at Lakeland Dodge did have ventilated seats but no sun roof.

Attachments

OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
That link you showed look closer, it says it has leather seats too.

Attachments

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
The description that the dealer wrote is wrong, yes. The window sticker created from the VIN shows exactly as yours does: cloth vented seats included. However, every single real world pic I've found of Octane Editions clearly shows heated seats only on the Uconnect screen, despite what the window sticker says. Kind of a bummer. I can 99% guarantee that yours will be the same when it shows up, but it would be great if I was wrong. Screenshot_20191117-213619_Drive.jpg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
You keeping those chin guards?

OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Funny you said that. I told them not to take them off or if they do, put them in the trunk. They were gone on my 18. I lost out selling them. Not this time, they are going on eBay!!! I still have my 18 until I pick up my 19 Tuesday. I bought Scrape Amor when I took delivery of my ‘18. I’m taking it off and installing it on the ‘19. It kept the underneath of the fascia from getting scraped up.

https://www.scrapearmor.com/product...MIw6DNhu7y5QIVEF8NCh3_Vwf_EAQYAiABEgJZdvD_BwE

OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
The description that the dealer wrote is wrong, yes. The window sticker created from the VIN shows exactly as yours does: cloth vented seats included. However, every single real world pic I've found of Octane Editions clearly shows heated seats only on the Uconnect screen, despite what the window sticker says. Kind of a bummer. I can 99% guarantee that yours will be the same when it shows up, but it would be great if I was wrong. View attachment 6844
It’s not a deal breaker for me if it’s the case. I had them in my ‘12 300 SRT and have them in my ‘18 Charger Hellcat. Living in warm weather I hardly used them. I have arthritis in my lower back and hips from years of abusing my body. When I used the vented seats for more than 15 minutes, I ended up in pain. I use the heat even in summer.

I really wanted pitch black with the options I wanted. Saturday I went to look at one with Demonic Red Laguna that has just landed. Was on the fence on the red leather but in person looked great. Only problem was it had the base Alpine 6 speaker system. Pitch black optioned out how I wanted was nearly impossible to find like this one. My ‘18,is pitch black. I had to search 3 states to find that one in ‘17to find one optioned how I wanted. Ended up going 7 hours to buy that one.

I agree about the seats. That’s why I’m doing the leather but keeping the houndstooth to restore to stock when I trade in some day. The blacked out Hellcat badging in person looks good. The octane red brembos with black brembo look great. I wasn’t a big stripe fan but these look great in person with the red accents. The knurled bead seated rims it comes with will get drag radials. I have low gloss black 5 spoke factory rims ordered for normal use.

Last edited:

WildCat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kakastan
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
OP, the basic cloth seats on my 2015, that had dry day weekend use of only 8,000 miles after 3yrs, wore about as good as a a fur coat in Mojave desert. If your getting Laguna, be glad. They were slippery to sit on as well.