Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thinking of selling my Hellcat

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
It’s the third Time I’ve thought about it in the past 2 months.

im so into road racing now, im gonna buy a second track car soon also. That’s not the reason im selling Hellcat.

I Just don’t drive it as much, I have my TRX and it is beyond a blast to drive. It’s the ultimate truck. Fast, comfortable, holds all my gun shit. Holds my mountain bikes, everything.

I want something that turns corners, it’s beyond intoxicating. Driving my Hellcat on the street is nice, but for the occasional straight line smash, it’s nice, but so quick. I destroyed a lambo a few weeks ago by 2 bus lengths, he wanted a second go and he got smashed again. He got beat so bad he followed me to my office to check under the hood and ask wtf is going on with my car. Gotta love that stuff.

every week i get to do 130-170 mph 20-40 times. And race wheel to wheel with cars of all types, 1.3 million dollars Mclaren sennas, porche gt3 and gt2, Ferrari, lambo, vette, bmw, yadda yadda, and it’s way more fun. it desensitizes you to street driving.

you also start to appreciate the difference between a straight line car and a car that can handle. The Hellcat, at least the way I have mine setup is built for one purpose, straight line acceleration. It lacks on all the other performance statistics.

I’ve got probably 60-70k in my Hellcat over the years. I don’t need to sell it, and I still love it. But it’s the only performance car I’ve be considered selling. Probably could get 65-75k with the mods I have in it, maybe more?? I don’t know for sure. Might put a feeler out.

I’d like to get an ACR viper. Although they want stupid money for them right now.

just throwing it out there. Curious if your thoughts in Hellcat land.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

im so into road racing now, im gonna buy a second track car soon also. That’s not the reason im selling Hellcat.

I Just don’t drive it as much, I have my TRX and it is beyond a blast to drive. It’s the ultimate truck. Fast, comfortable, holds all my gun shit. Holds my mountain bikes, everything.

I want something that turns corners, it’s beyond intoxicating. Driving my Hellcat on the street is nice, but for the occasional straight line smash, it’s nice, but so quick. I destroyed a lambo a few weeks ago by 2 bus lengths, he wanted a second go and he got smashed again. He got beat so bad he followed me to my office to check under the hood and ask wtf is going on with my car. Gotta love that stuff.

every week i get to do 130-170 mph 20-40 times. And race wheel to wheel with cars of all types, 1.3 million dollars Mclaren sennas, porche gt3 and gt2, Ferrari, lambo, vette, bmw, yadda yadda, and it’s way more fun. it desensitizes you to street driving.

you also start to appreciate the difference between a straight line car and a car that can handle. The Hellcat, at least the way I have mine setup is built for one purpose, straight line acceleration. It lacks on all the other performance statistics.

I’ve got probably 60-70k in my Hellcat over the years. I don’t need to sell it, and I still love it. But it’s the only performance car I’ve be considered selling. Probably could get 65-75k with the mods I have in it, maybe more?? I don’t know for sure. Might put a feeler out.

I’d like to get an ACR viper. Although they want stupid money for them right now.

Just my opinion from my experience…

When I sold my last Hellcat, I thought the same thing. Thought the next car I would get would be more along the lines of a M3/M4/911 etc., something fast but also something that handled really well.

I drove them all and never pulled the trigger, just wasn’t into them enough I guess. You might have seen but I purchased another Hellcat. Just something about it, it’s just got some cool muscle car vibe to it that none of the other cars do and I guess that aligns more with my personality.

If you can keep it and get another car your thinking of, I’d do that. Then spend some time away from it and see how you feel. If you don’t miss it, sell it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It's all about what you are into. I have rode around a road coarse with a few people one being Jack Roush Jr and it is pretty cool. I have been saying for many years I would get a set of tires for going to a road coarse but never have pulled the trigger. I had a '03 Evo and '13 Mustang. I drove the Mustang on parade laps at lunch time having a little fun.

Myself if I wanted to do that I would buy some tires and use the Hellcat. More interesting to have something not everyone else has. Plus I don't have any interest owning any of those cars you mentioned other then a Viper maybe

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Don'twant to do sumtin you regret later. Either to sell or not. Give it a second and third thought. Kinda like my ex girl friends. Sum times time away may not feel the void. Of the insurance, gas, tags, vacations, dinners out, jewlery,,,, oh that is the other ones. One life to live but many choices.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I'll give you $5000 cash money, and even come pick it up to save you shipping.

So....... do you need the garage space? Sounds like you have a small fleet with a number of different vehicles to suit your needs. If you like this one for the aspects you mention, and money is not the driver, then why not keep it for those things you like about it? Not saying don't sell it. Just trying to better understand the reasoning.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yea,,, what he said but I will bump it up $50, a dozen oysters, 2 lobstahs, and 3 lbs of fresh stoned crab claws. Beat that Maggie. Bettah take the deal before I get the estimate on my car tomorrow.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB

Well, you know my bias. If you can get that for the HC sell it. Do your best to get a C8 Z06. Viper can ONLY be used on track with any comfort, but the Vette can be driven down the street also, AND probably will do fairly well at rolling races also, which will stroke your acceleration bug.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
C8 as long it's not lime greene. Like my Doc's.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I'm on Hellcat number 3 and with the crazy used market have considered selling mine. I also have a supercharged Boss 302 Mustang and prefer driving the Hellcat the majority of the time. I just can't bring myself to sell the Boss because as you know the problem with modified cars is getting the money back out of them. If you can live with the amount you have in the car vs what you'll get out no point in keeping a car if there is something else you would enjoy more.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Only you know when its time to sell..It's not like your gonna pursue a hobby in needle point..your track endeavors and TRX will fill the bill..move on if it's time..you can always get another one..

OP
WhipCat

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
These are the 3 cars on my mind.

The new C8 z06 as @DGatzby said. I’ve been eying it.

viper ACR

The new Cayman gt4 RS

I’m already 99% I’m on buying a 2022 heritage gt500 CFTP to compliment my gt350R heritage model. I just need to secure the deal when allocations are issued this month. My wife mentioned she would drive the gt500 because it’s automatic, and it would actually get her on the road course. I’ve been wanting her to come out with me, my trailer holds 3 cars and it works out so my dad and wife can all be racing together. It also makes sense to get another mustang since we already race my dads GT500 CFTP, we have similar parts, wheels and tires can rotate etc. it helps having same parts!

im definitely out of garage space at home, the hellcat and TRX are at my houseI store the rest of my cars at my dads play property. It’s where we store all our trailers and work on cars and shit.

just thinking about it is all, I guess I should try and take it out more and drive my Hellcat, but the urge hasn’t been there lately. I’m head first in the road racing game and I can’t imagine getting back into drag racing, at least for a while. 26 minutes of WOT while braking and turning is insanely more fun than an 8-9 second acceleration burst. I mean I was at Daytona a couple weeks ago running the same track as the Rolex 24 hour. I was on both banks of the oval doing 176 mph with 2-3 cars trading places, then hitting an almost u turn into the road course, all while rowing the gears and keeping the RPMs up.

I have considered doing a refresh on my hellcat engine and then having another race motor built and for a swap out. After that, I would have my current motor in the hellcat refreshed and probably stroked out to 426. Then …. maybe dropping the 426 refreshed motor into my TRX and dropping a whipple 3.8 in it. Then I would have a spare hellcat long block I could have built and set aside as a spare for either car.

44A514B2-32E2-43ED-97A9-BE5205188C66.jpeg B85F23BF-FCB0-4041-946B-5C4EBF2F565B.jpeg 4B07C84F-6E74-49AB-A5F4-D73210C8AD62.jpeg 34539B28-A36F-4523-966F-933B40EC6090.jpeg E08DC0BC-87D6-4EA2-BF7A-FFD2447A57AC.jpeg A2339AE3-4DCC-4DEA-9CEC-A76F427EDA85.jpeg 00D8EDE9-5445-4705-A818-6A15EA5FEE84.jpeg 332D99F2-53EA-41D1-B3F7-A26AB71B32F7.jpeg B1224C52-7402-4242-9FD4-743C5EDEEB47.png 8C8B9E32-F1C2-4234-87E0-61A4F67D3478.jpeg

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
You can't beat the used car market at this point Espicially with the new cars changing over to the Energizer plug and go cars. Every time I go to the dealer for service the resale price gets higher. I have thought about it but how long am I going to wait till I can get what I want?? Cruised the car lots this past weekend and nothing. Not that I wouls purchase off the lot but tells me the supply and demand. $$$

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Very nice set up. Impressive.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle

viper ACR

The new Cayman gt4 RS

I’m already 99% I’m on buying a 2022 heritage gt500 CFTP to compliment my gt350R heritage model. I just need to secure the deal when allocations are issued this month. My wife mentioned she would drive the gt500 because it’s automatic, and it would actually get her on the road course. I’ve been wanting her to come out with me, my trailer holds 3 cars and it works out so my dad and wife can all be racing together. It also makes sense to get another mustang since we already race my dads GT500 CFTP, we have similar parts, wheels and tires can rotate etc. it helps having same parts!

im definitely out of garage space at home, the hellcat and TRX are at my houseI store the rest of my cars at my dads play property. It’s where we store all our trailers and work on cars and shit.

just thinking about it is all, I guess I should try and take it out more and drive my Hellcat, but the urge hasn’t been there lately. I’m head first in the road racing game and I can’t imagine getting back into drag racing, at least for a while. 26 minutes of WOT while braking and turning is insanely more fun than an 8-9 second acceleration burst. I mean I was at Daytona a couple weeks ago running the same track as the Rolex 24 hour. I was on both banks of the oval doing 176 mph with 2-3 cars trading places, then hitting an almost u turn into the road course, all while rowing the gears and keeping the RPMs up.

I have considered doing a refresh on my hellcat engine and then having another race motor built and for a swap out. After that, I would have my current motor in the hellcat refreshed and probably stroked out to 426. Then …. maybe dropping the 426 refreshed motor into my TRX and dropping a whipple 3.8 in it. Then I would have a spare hellcat long block I could have built and set aside as a spare for either car.

View attachment 60761 View attachment 60762 View attachment 60763 View attachment 60764 View attachment 60765 View attachment 60766 View attachment 60767 View attachment 60768 View attachment 60769 View attachment 60770
Road America May 14-15. Bring up the truckload and drive them. Me and the Redeye are in. Hope the power upgrades are out by then.

Get yourself up by late Friday for Check-in, your wife will love staying at the Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake and visiting the track about five minutes away.

That Hellcat is bad ass.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

viper ACR

The new Cayman gt4 RS

View attachment 60761 View attachment 60762 View attachment 60763 View attachment 60764 View attachment 60765 View attachment 60766 View attachment 60767 View attachment 60768 View attachment 60769 View attachment 60770
You’re in a much different phase of life, financially speaking, than I haha. Actually, we’re not even playing the same game! I’d still say that there aren’t as many cars that are perfectly suited for cruising town or driving cross country as the Hellcat. And @DGatzby is definitely working to prove it as a road course car.

That being said, I’ll use a bit of an analogy for me. I’m a part time USAF pilot now with the Reserves. When I’m not flying, I don’t really think about it too much or “miss it” necessarily.

But, for the 5 days every month I go fly, every time I get into the cockpit I’m reminded how awesome that experience is.

You’ve got plenty of choices. If you don’t get that same feeling when you get in the Hellcat, then sell it!

Last edited:

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Join a forum like this one for something you are looking at. I was convinced I wanted a gt500 until I joined the forum asked some questions and was talked out of it. But my favorite part about the hellcat is the raw power and muscle car feel.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
You’re in a much different phase of life, financially speaking, than I haha. Actually, we’re not even playing the same game! I’d still say that there aren’t as many cars that are perfectly suited for cruising town or driving cross country as the Hellcat. And @DGatzby is definitely working to prove it as a road course car.

That being said, I’ll use a bit of an analogy for me. I’m a part time USAF pilot now with the Reserves. When I’m not flying, I don’t really think about it too much or “miss it” necessarily.

But, for the 5 days every month I go fly, every time I get into the cockpit I’m reminded how awesome that experience is.

You’ve got plenty of choices. If you don’t get that same feeling when you get in the Hellcat, then sell it!
Oh Lord, thanks, but, I know the boat is not the best at it. But, it is what I have. It has a good balance of comfort, acceleration and brakes, so if a guy can, he can almost keep up with others. It does okay, it can pass about anything which gives a guy some fun on the straights, but then I know to watch my mirror depending on what/who I just passed. I am sort of where he is also. I am hoping to be able to swing keeping my Hellcat (for street driving) and purchasing another toy to take to the road courses in the next year or two. He already has a bunch of cool toys, so if he can off the Hellcat and recover the cash, great IMO, plus he got the utility of fun the past few years from it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Join a forum like this one for something you are looking at. I was convinced I wanted a gt500 until I joined the forum asked some questions and was talked out of it. But my favorite part about the hellcat is the raw power and muscle car feel.
road coarse you don't have to have power. I lower hp car that handles gets around the track faster.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
road coarse you don't have to have power. I lower hp car that handles gets around the track faster.
I was just saying my experience when I was looking for a change.
I wasn’t looking at road course. As you know I’m only a couple miles from a straight line track so naturally that’s what I choice for a hobby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Road courses are not equal to Hellcats. We won’t look good at all at a short track for example like Hallet in OK. But run a high speed much longer course (RA or BIR Long) and a lowered powered car will not have faster laps, been there and done it on both kinds of tracks.