Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Think I have the 1320 Trans Brake process right...

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
I spent about an hour in an empty parking lot (okay 45 minutes; the other 15 were spent convincing the Statie I wasn't doing burnouts or being reckless).

Correct me if I mis-state something, or am missing something please:

The Trans Brake process while actually racing:
1- Roll out of burnout, allow yourself to come close to staging lights, but don't stage yet;.
2- Come to stop; pull both paddles back and apply brake with left foot;
3- Reach minimum RPM activation and hold; let off of brake enough to pre-stage;
4- When it's your turn, let off brake slightly to fully stage then brake hard (in other words, "bump into the light");
5*- When double bulbed, press hard on brake, release 1 paddle and when EVIC indicates, release brake;
6- Be ready to launch.

* - it appears there is a required time delay between releasing the first paddle and then the brake. A couple of times I released the brake almost immediately after the first paddle, and got an error message cancelling the Trans Brake.

What initially had me confused was I thought you had to start the process already staged. By practicing in the parking lot, I was able to read the messages and noticed one of them stated "proceed to staging" or something like that.

Have I missed anything?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I spent about an hour in an empty parking lot (okay 45 minutes; the other 15 were spent convincing the Statie I wasn't doing burnouts or being reckless).

Correct me if I mis-state something, or am missing something please:

The Trans Brake process while actually racing:
1- Roll out of burnout, allow yourself to come close to staging lights, but don't stage yet;.
2- Come to stop; pull both paddles back and apply brake with left foot;
3- Reach minimum RPM activation and hold; let off of brake enough to pre-stage;
4- When it's your turn, let off brake slightly to fully stage then brake hard (in other words, "bump into the light");
5*- When double bulbed, press hard on brake, release 1 paddle and when EVIC indicates, release brake;
6- Be ready to launch.

* - it appears there is a required time delay between releasing the first paddle and then the brake. A couple of times I released the brake almost immediately after the first paddle, and got an error message cancelling the Trans Brake.

What initially had me confused was I thought you had to start the process already staged. By practicing in the parking lot, I was able to read the messages and noticed one of them stated "proceed to staging" or something like that.

Have I missed anything?
I found this online a few months ago. It's the Demon supplement and it has some good info that we should've gotten with our cars:

http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2018/2018-Challenger-Demon_SU-2nd.pdf

What did you tell the cop as to what/why you were doing?

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
What I have found with the launch on my Scat is the KISS theory really seems to apply.
It is a lot of button pushing and for me the power brake method seems to work best in the burnout box and staging.
Also, my 60' times are not as good using launch as I can not get a dead hook.

JMO of these FCA gimmicks.

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
What I have found with the launch on my Scat is the KISS theory really seems to apply.
It is a lot of button pushing and for me the power brake method seems to work best in the burnout box and staging.
Also, my 60' times are not as good using launch as I can not get a dead hook.

JMO of these FCA gimmicks.
I only have 29 runs with my 1320, and of those only the first 9 were on a well prepped track...and then I was foolishly trying to go slower to qualify for the 12.50 index class...

...in other words, I haven't been able to really launch this beast well, so I totally agree with the K.I.S.S. principle.

I do want to try and become proficient enough with the Trans Brake to utilize it, because of the potential benefit of the Torque Management at launch. That said, my best run(s) have come when using minimal loading on the footbrake, so I have to wonder whether the TM really does anything or if it exists at all in the 1320's.