Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The New Corvette Z06 Unveiling

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Has anyone been following this? I know, I know, this is a MOPAR site. But come on, we are all car guys deep down and I gotta say this one intrigues me. It has a Demon anticipatory vibe to it too. In fact that part is on steroids since the dealers I spoke with are telling me teh wait to get one (once it actually becomes available to order in a few months) will be anywhere from 2-4 YEARS! part of that is the seemingly never-ending chip shortage but part of it is also limited production for all Corvettes (not exactly sure why that is). Anyhow, with GM clearly on the EV train (as they have promised a full phase-out of ICE by 2034) this may be the LAST HP that features a V8 and that's it. Speaking of "that's it", many were expecting a supercharged version. Somehow Chevy managed to put together a naturally aspirated small-block capable of 670Hp and an eye-popping 8300 RPM. Both numbers are mind-boggling. Most surprising of all (to me at least) is how this one looks. It really is attractive from all angles. That's not something I could say about ANY Corvette since the release of the 1969 L-88. I am so impressed that I decided to call all dealerships in Colorado to see about getting in line. Not surprisingly they all want BIG ADM to be put on their list. 35K was the lowest. Literally, the last dealership I called was the lone exception. MSRP and no deposit. Wow. I am all in was my insta-reply. What made it crazier still was I was teh final person they were taking. Number 25. They won't take more since I'd be looking at 3years before I'd actually take delivery. I know the guy was not lying since my brother tried the next day and he was shut out. If I found one in my state, hopefully, others will find a few similar non-greedy dealers Nationwide. if the Demon is any guide, they will be few and far between.

Anyhow, I would love to get your thoughts, including if you think we will see anything top this in the All-ICE realm for the Corvette. I know they are working on an EV Corvette as we speak. I suppose before then we could see a supercharged Z06 but I have heard that was nixed early on and why they went to the ultra-high revving flat-plane V8 with this release instead. I suppose an all new ZR-1 variant is possible but with a 2-4 year wait for the Z06 already in place, I seriously doubt that an all ICE ZR-1 happens.

PS Here is a (clunky) Z06 builder link GM put out this week. Very cool (when it's not crashing!)

https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui...=chevrolet&language=en&country=US&channel=b2c

Last edited:
OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Ah missed it...i repost my comment there i guess

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
IIRC, L-88 was 1967-1969. Awesome motor. (just picking nits)

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I played with the visualizer a couple times and each time there were new options! It's like the site wasn't done and they're updating it on the fly 🤣

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
IIRC, L-88 was 1967-1969. Awesome motor. (just picking nits)
u r right...69 last year...i think the ZL-1 might have extended into 70?

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
I played with the visualizer a couple times and each time there were new options! It's like the site wasn't done and they're updating it on the fly 🤣
Exactly! Like seat belt options i just noticed...its clunk for sure tho...but still cool..there are so many awesome-looking configurations. at least ill have 2 years to decide! lol

Member ID
Reactions
City
Port orchard
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
The 69 L88 was a bad ass engine. Chevrolet would install headers at dealership if asked and guys would run 10.80 at 125 with that aluminum head 427 with just headers and slicks. Engine made a honest 580 hp and was rated at 435 lol

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
The 69 L88 was a bad ass engine. Chevrolet would install headers at dealership if asked and guys would run 10.80 at 125 with that aluminum head 427 with just headers and slicks. Engine made a honest 580 hp and was rated at 435 lol
When I was a student at Eastern Michigan University in '72, a local non-student friend bought an ugly brown '68 L-88 Vette. Engine had been balance and blueprinted at the GM Tech Center, had huge open black side pipes, and (I believe) a 4:56 gear. Was said to have dyno'd 640 hp at the crank. With slicks, it ran 9's. Mighty impressive at the time.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI