Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Sweet Baby Jesus the HK sound system blows goats!

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
(* Disclaimer, NO blasphemy intended in my thread title.)

I realize this is a slow(-er) subforum and haven't seen much about this system. It is mind boggling that Dodge charges nearly $2K (*edit, price corrected) for the "privilege" of having your vehicle equipped with this dumpster fire of an audio system. While I did not spec it out when I originally ordered my '22 from my local dealer (which I've since canceled, thank you very much!), it came equipped on the one I bought from Koons so I didn't have a choice in the matter (other than not buy it!).

Don't get me wrong, my days or rattling doors/windows/trunks/etc. have long since passed and that's hardly my desire as I much rather hear the supercharger/exhaust. However I'm just about deaf and tend to listen to music, podcasts, etc. at a higher volume level and I have to crank it nearly to it's max setting to hear it. This is direct contrast to my Gladiator Mojave that came with the Alpine system that pounds at much MUCH lower volume levels.

Aftermarket is ALWAYS better than stock/OEM, even with these upgraded systems (I had a Kicker upgrade of some type or another I think in my 300 SRT back in the day and recall that being plenty loud...?) but I'm nonplussed at how incredibly underwhelming this system is. I'd typically replace the speakers and call it even and hope I can avoid the expense of replacing the amp or adding a signal processor or similar interface, I'm just agitated that I even have to consider doing this after having paid for Dodge's "premium" sound system...

/rant

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm very happy by the way mine sounds. I believe it was a 2k upgrade on my car. Our '18 Challenger has the Alpine and it is ok. The Daytona I had, had the Beats and that also was good. Not sure if it would be worth the money for a HK over the Beats though

You want junk, my '13 mustang had 4 speakers no amps, truly horrible.

The way we hear is different person to person. I haven't had a hearing test at work in many years but the last couple were almost all 0 (0 the best and going in increments of 5) I had 1 5 on the test. I wear ear plugs all day at work and the difference from my 1st hearing test and 2nd after wearing hearing plugs was night and day difference and that was 25 years ago. I would say my hearing is very good and that may make a big difference in what sounds good to me and to you and how loud we listen to it

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

I realize this is a slow(-er) subforum and haven't seen much about this system. It is mind boggling that Dodge charges nearly $3K for the "privilege" of having your vehicle equipped with this dumpster fire of an audio system. While I did not spec it out when I originally ordered my '22 from my local dealer (which I've since canceled, thank you very much!), it came equipped on the one I bought from Koons so I didn't have a choice in the matter (other than not buy it!).

Don't get me wrong, my days or rattling doors/windows/trunks/etc. have long since passed and that's hardly my desire as I much rather hear the supercharger/exhaust. However I'm just about deaf and tend to listen to music, podcasts, etc. at a higher volume level and I have to crank it nearly to it's max setting to hear it. This is direct contrast to my Gladiator Mojave that came with the Alpine system that pounds at much MUCH lower volume levels.

Aftermarket is ALWAYS better than stock/OEM, even with these upgraded systems (I had a Kicker upgrade of some type or another I think in my 300 SRT back in the day and recall that being plenty loud...?) but I'm nonplussed at how incredibly underwhelming this system is. I'd typically replace the speakers and call it even and hope I can avoid the expense of replacing the amp or adding a signal processor or similar interface, I'm just agitated that I even have to consider doing this after having paid for Dodge's "premium" sound system...

/rant
Try setting the equilizer to flat. Set the fade a notch or two towards the rear, and then set the bass to where you like it. That worked best for me.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Try setting the equilizer to flat. Set the fade a notch or two towards the rear, and then set the bass to where you like it. That worked best for me.
About how mine it. Didn't like that surround sound or what ever it is and turned that off. Also have treble down

OP
Ronin

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
I futzed with the EQ settings a lil bit and it's amazing how different the two systems are (the Alpine in my Gladiator and the HK in my Challenger) especially considering the Jeep's much lower system cost. It just galls me that I might have to modify (i.e.; spend money!) a $2K (*edit, price corrected) "premium" audio system because its output is pathetic...

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
You are not the first one here @Ronin to complain about the HK. There have been previous threads on this but the fact is most are happy with it. Maybe there is just something wrong with yours?

OP
Ronin

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Yeah @SilverBillet I'm hardly the first to bitch about but other folks seem plenty happy, and I wouldn't discount their experience/opinion. I had access to a pretty sick/legit lab quality db meter when I was working which would be great to test actual loudness. I will say the Infinity system in my '12 Jeep JK/Wrangler that we just sold was insanely loud/clear with tight bass. That system definitely spoiled me as it was my DD just a few months ago...

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
My complaint with it is a glare or hardness to the upper midrange that can’t entirely be EQ’d out.

OP
Ronin

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
I just spent a while messing with it again and I appreciate the suggestions; I definitely got it to sound better but only at a high volume level. For a dude whose practically deaf I'm picky AF, that's for sure. To say my musical taste is eclectic is an understatement; I was listening to White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane in between Hustlin' by Rick Ross and everyone's favorite Hellcat song, Kick Start My Heart by Motley Crew...! :ROFLMAO:

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
I definitely feel it’s a mids problem. Bass and treble overpower, but some has to do with music genres and sources of music input as well.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
@Diboblo can surely offer some guidance and options in this arena. He's our resident evil scientist.

evilscientist.gif

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've heard some say that the source makes a big difference (radio versus BT, etc...)

Try different sources and report back...

OP
Ronin

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
I've heard some say that the source makes a big difference (radio versus BT, etc...)

Try different sources and report back...

Funny you should mention that, the latest iPhone update was crashing my CarPlay so I ended up using BlueTooth until I got the CarPlay issue figured out (it was a VPN conflict) and the CarPlay sounds much better than the streamed BT audio actually...

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I realize this is a slow(-er) subforum and haven't seen much about this system. It is mind boggling that Dodge charges nearly $3K for the "privilege" of having your vehicle equipped with this dumpster fire of an audio system. While I did not spec it out when I originally ordered my '22 from my local dealer (which I've since canceled, thank you very much!), it came equipped on the one I bought from Koons so I didn't have a choice in the matter (other than not buy it!).

/rant
Wait, WHAT ?? You're telling me these things came with some sort of sound system for music ?? The only sound system I'm ever interested in is the one under the hood & out back. Sound levels & track are controlled by that skinny pedal under your right foot. :unsure::whistle:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Funny you should mention that, the latest iPhone update was crashing my CarPlay so I ended up using BlueTooth until I got the CarPlay issue figured out (it was a VPN conflict) and the CarPlay sounds much better than the streamed BT audio actually...

Well and for me (Android), the audio settings on the phone directly affect the sound on the radio, so it's not just sending a basic signal level source to the radio, it's sending any/all sound levels to the radio, so keep that in mind as well.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I use Sirius

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
It would be nice if the on-board EQ had more than three controls. Kind of archaic. That said the HK in my 16 HC actually is respectable with a good source (e.g. high rate files on a memory stick). It was standard in 2016MY.

OP
Ronin

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #18
It would be nice if the on-board EQ had more than three controls. Kind of archaic. That said the HK in my 16 HC actually is respectable with a good source (e.g. high rate files on a memory stick). It was standard in 2016MY.
I was surprised to see that as well. Comparing it directly to my Gladiator with the Alpine system that sits across from it in the garage and there's NOTHING the HK does better. When I ordered mine (since canceled...) I specifically went with the base/upgraded system just based on everything I've ready about the HK system, not to mention the insane cost and figured I'd upgrade it on my own. I'm not looking to win any db drags but this system is substandard for a base system, nevermind a "high end" one with a $2K (*edit, price corrected...man I was REALLY ranting over that $3K price!) price tag, and having to spend money to get it listenable is aggravating to say the least...

Last edited:

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
@Diboblo can surely offer some guidance and options in this arena. He's our resident evil scientist.

View attachment 84747
Honestly, if it is pretty close to what you want, I would add some capacitors, to the highs, or mids and see if that cleans it up, for you.

There are some very good sites, like:

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/caraudio.asp

that go over how to do this.

The front doors are responsible for mid-bass delivery. The 6x9's are mid bass speakers and the cabin amp is configured to only throw mid-bass frequencies, at them.

The dash speakers are mid/high and there are highs, from the various components (tweeters).²

If you want more bass, out of the mids, you can add a choke, to those speakers.

There isn't much room to work with, power wise. About 75 watts, per speaker (rms). A choke will diminish power, a bit. Capacitors will not load down the highs/mids.

You can certainly tweak the system, without adding all new equipment. The HK, specifically, is designed like the old Boston Acoustics, in the older LX models. Cheesy bass. Highs and mids heavy.

I used to install the OEM Kicker 6x9 mid-bass in the front doors of cars, with BA systems and it made a world of difference, for example.

It is my opinion that the HK system performs at its power limit and can be prone to distortion. This is due to their "green" technology. Cheap, light weight magnets, with near peak power thrown at them. See my write-up, on upgrading the HK subs. There is a photo of how minuscule the magnets are, for so called subs.

Yeah... it can be tweaked. For not so much, too.

Sent from my SM-G666 using Tapatalk

OP
Ronin

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
I read the wiki before and wasn't surprised at all at how pathetic the HK's subs are...I'd prefer to delete the subs all together and just use high quality components, pretty sure they'd sound better that the dumpster fire that's in there now. Reminds me of the old Monsoon system like my Firebird had, divying up the frequencies to a half-assed cobbled together collection of speakers and calling it a high end system. There's a proper way to do that and this $2K (*edited to reflect corrected price) HK system ain't it...

Last edited: