Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Super Stock

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
This is a good article comparing Demon, SS and RE

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33015174/2020-dodge-challenger-srt-super-stock-revealed/

So the remaining diffs I see (besides limited production for the Demon) are:

Hood
Race fuel tune (840Hp)
Demon Crate
9.65 ET vs 10.5 ET (per Dodge). Despite "only 33hp diff" and maybe -20lbs (for equivalent single seat cars). The only thing I can think here is the suspension isn't quite the same for the SS. Also, Demonology had multiple dynos using Boostane only showing ~902hp at the crank on his Demon (not 840) so the hp diff may be more than +33 between the 2.
Lightening throughout (-220lbs if u got a 1 seater Demon). Though much/most? of that 220 can be attained in RE and SS by going 1 seat?
Badging, Demon nittos, and some external color differences

I'm sure DRAGRCR has a few more nuanced differences. I seem to remember RE (and maybe SS?) having hiccup during WOT that the Demon does not have.

Still a nice option for those who missed on Demon. My only concern is that the only variant not depreciating and still commanding above MSRP is the Demon, so longer-term, it might make sense to buy a used Demon than a new $100-105K SS.
9.65 is a record time VS the 10.5 is an expected time. So that is a once in a lifetime time VS everybody can do it time.

The RedEye/Super Stock will not get as light at a one seat Demon. Car for Car the Super Stock has slightly heavier front brakes, more sound deadening, 6 speakers instead of 2 and probably a few other small things like the rear park sense is deleted on a Demon etc. I have made my personal Super Stock as close as practical to a one Seat Demon. That is kind of how I judge my performance (comparing to my Demon on 808 tune when new). The Super Stock is faster. There are reasons for this, but it is just theory or rumor. But, both my RedEye and this car put up way better MPH comparatively.

I expect super Stock numbers to be quite a bit Less than the Demon unless they end up building them for years and years. Who knows maybe I am wrong and they will build them like crazy in 2021.

Not sure where you are getting that initial 20 pounds from. Pass seat is 57 pounds (and that is part of the 200 pounds weight reduction).

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
9.65 is a record time VS the 10.5 is an expected time. So that is a once in a lifetime time VS everybody can do it time.

The RedEye/Super Stock will not get as light at a one seat Demon. Car for Car the Super Stock has slightly heavier front brakes, more sound deadening, 6 speakers instead of 2 and probably a few other small things like the rear park sense is deleted on a Demon etc. I have made my personal Super Stock as close as practical to a one Seat Demon. That is kind of how I judge my performance (comparing to my Demon on 808 tune when new). The Super Stock is faster. There are reasons for this, but it is just theory or rumor. But, both my RedEye and this car put up way better MPH comparatively.

I expect super Stock numbers to be quite a bit Less than the Demon unless they end up building them for years and years. Who knows maybe I am wrong and they will build them like crazy in 2021.

Not sure where you are getting that initial 20 pounds from. Pass seat is 57 pounds (and that is part of the 200 pounds weight reduction).
Thanks, Ron. I was off a bit. Looks like the difference in weight savings for a Demon was/is 231lb if you ordered the 1 seater with no other options.

The following list below is a breakdown of how engineers reduced the curb weight of the 2018 Challenger SRT Demon to 1,922 kg (4,237 lb) over the 2,027 kg (4,469 lb) curb weight of the SRT Hellcat, a difference of 105 kg (231 lb):

• Removed front passenger seat and passenger seatbelt (−58 lb; seats available at a dollar)
  • Removed rear bench seat, seatbelts, restraints, and front and rear floor mats (−55 lb)
  • Removed 16 Harman Kardon speakers, factory subwoofer, amplifier, and all electrical wiring (−24 lb)
  • Removed rear trunk deck lid cover trim, trunk carpeting, and spare tire cover (−20 lb)
  • Used smaller, hollower front and rear sway bars (−19 lb)
  • Removed mastic, body deadeners, insulators, and foam (−18 lb)
  • Used lightweight, all-aluminum four-piston front and rear brake calipers and 360 mm (14 in) front and rear two-piece brake rotors (−16 lb)
  • Used lightweight aluminum front & rear alloy wheels & open-ended front & rear wheel lug nuts (−16 lb)
  • Replaced power-tilting/telescoping steering column w/manually-tilting/telescoping setup (−4 lb)
  • Removed front & rear ParkSense parking sensors & ParkSense front &rear park sensor module (−2 lb)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger#SRT_Demon

PS are you saying an untouched Super Stock is faster than a comparably equipped OEM Demon? Not sure I understand how that's possible, especially on the (conservatively estimated) 840HP Demon tune. Then again, maybe I misunderstood.

Last edited:

Slipaway16

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartle Skeet
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Trackhawk
He is saying gas tune to gas tune it is faster. Which means a good race tune would mean the same, imo.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I keep waiting for SRT to come out with the end all be all Challenger with a Hellephant variant in it. That's when I'll look to upgrade as that will be the final curtain I bet before it goes to some smaller platform and a twin turbo V6.
Couldnt agree more. I have zero doubt about that being the near future. It will without doubt be their swan song model, ADM and all.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Couldnt agree more. I have zero doubt about that being the near future. It will without doubt be their swan song model, ADM and all.
First of all I'm never going to be in the market for a $200,000 car .....second we're already in big trouble with the NHRA and I'm not going to buy a car that I have to modify just to run at the track so if it's an low 9-second or High 8 second car whatever it needs to have a cage etcetera so that we can race it, so it is a completely street legal streetable car like a demon but with a factory cage Etc to be NHRA legal all you got to do is get your license and you're good to go @Speedy!

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
PS are you saying an untouched Super Stock is faster than a comparably equipped OEM Demon? Not sure I understand how that's possible, especially on the (conservatively estimated) 840HP Demon tune. Then again, maybe I misunderstood.
Yes the red eye engine is the same engine as the demon and so the demon on 808 is the same engine as the red eye. Or super stock on 807 or 797 it's the same engine but you have to realize the original certification was all the way back in 2017 when the demon was being developed and the car has never been recertified because it costs money and I think the engines are making more power now due to manufacturing improvements the same thing has happened to the regular Hellcat engine it actually makes 747 horsepower or something like that but it's rated at 717 and then if you go by the actual Time Slips my Redeye is clearly heavier than my demon was and it's faster. Like over a tenth in the Eighth Mile and three to four miles per hour and in fact it's very comparable to my demon on its first 840 passes.