Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stock exhaust on Hellcat vs. RE - Worth modifying?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooklyn
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I never know what I’m listening to unless I talk to an owner or can see a car on a rack, so I never like to assume what someone’s done to their exhaust. I’ve also never had a chance to listen to a SP, HC, and RE all at the same time with the cars in the same environment, etc.

Some of you guys have owned them all or are at least apart of clubs where you’re constantly exposed to Chargers with differing trims and exhaust setups, so here’s my question: is the stock RE louder than the Hellcat? I know many of its internals are different, but does that translate to a louder exhaust at idle, under throttle, or both?
What about the SP? Shortly after I bought mine, I had 3” Jones Flow Pack mid-mufflers installed to produce a throatier note at idle and under load. I’ve ordered a REJB that should be here by April or May, provided it ever gets built, and I’m wondering if I’ll need to do anything to produce a similar exhaust note. I’m also not sure if the Jailbreak’s exhaust will be different at all, though I doubt it. I don’t want the car to sound outrageous, but the stock SP was just a tad subdued for me, particularly at idle.

And feedback would be appreciated.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I highly don’t there is any difference between the two exhausts that’d make one louder than the other

OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooklyn
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, Jon. Just curious.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
What is an REJB?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
My RE stock exhaust is perfection. Hard to believe stock sounds this good. Ive had people ask me what I did to it because it’s pretty loud. I never understand the need to be even louder than this unless you want to be THAT GUY in your neighborhood lol. People say ‘throatier’ but most usually just mean ’louder’.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
My RE stock exhaust is perfection. Hard to believe stock sounds this good. Ive had people ask me what I did to it because it’s pretty loud. I never understand the need to be even louder than this unless you want to be THAT GUY in your neighborhood lol. People say ‘throatier’ but most usually just mean ’louder’.
I agree, It is quite a bit louder than what you experience inside the car, it shoots the sound out the back and it's louder than you think it is, especially when you are on it! I go to work early, couldn't do the muffler delete to my neighbors ;)

If you do want to modify, the smart thing to do seems to be deleting the mid mufflers with either a straight pipe or race bullets. The stock mid mufflers are pretty tiny already though.

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
I agree, the RE exhaust perfect - good sound, not obnoxiously loud. I'm with @EricG, I leave way too early in the morning to do anything louder to my neighbors.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
I think the stock exhaust sounds great. I’ve had numerous people tell me much they like it when they hear me go by and jump on it.

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
So is the RE exhaust louder or deeper than the Non RE Hellcat Exhausts and the SP exhausts is the question. Most certainly agree they all sound good but the SP I had was just a little too much subdued for me which seems to be about same as the Hellcat. Never have had the pleasure to hear the stock RE . Maybe the stock cat backs coming off a RE from one who has took off the stock RE Hellcats, just be may be the perfect sound for some us we would prefer and help a little with the RE owners who swapped out?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
So is the RE exhaust louder or deeper than the Non RE Hellcat Exhausts and the SP exhausts is the question. Most certainly agree they all sound good but the SP I had was just a little too much subdued for me which seems to be about same as the Hellcat. Never have had the pleasure to hear the stock RE . Maybe the stock cat backs coming off a RE from one who has took off the stock RE Hellcats, just be may be the perfect sound for some us we would prefer and help a little with the RE owners who swapped out?
I think the active exhaust catback used on the Scat Pack and Hellcat/RE now is all the same. I think it changed over the years a little, but since 2019 I think the mid-mufflers and rear resonaters have all been the same. IMO the Hellcat is a little louder than the Scat Pack, especially at WOT, and the redeye is a little louder/bumpier than the regular Hellcat because it does have a little bigger cam in the motor. If you really like to hear your exhaust, I don't think the stock catback will be enough for you. I would just resist significantly cutting up the stock system because it is so good.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
I'd take a look at replacing the mid mufflers with Vibrant 1793 or 1794s. The 1793s aren't raspy and will deepen the tone of the exhaust without adding too much volume. The 1794s are a bit raspier and louder.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
The Redeye has an entirely different engine and it sounds that much better. It is deeper and louder. Its’ components look the same as my old Hellcat. I have owned both like others here. I cannot imagine I want to change anything on my RE exhaust, IMO I agree with my RE friends above, it sounds as good as it runs, great!

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
I'd take a look at replacing the mid mufflers with Vibrant 1793 or 1794s. The 1793s aren't raspy and will deepen the tone of the exhaust without adding too much volume. The 1794s are a bit raspier and louder.
Great Thought! Thanks for the information. It sounds great and really like the new Ride but would like just a little deeper sound but not a great deal....Agree with EricG for sure not much if any Difference from a 2018 Scat Pack to 2021 Hellcat at all both sound really good when you stomp it but a little deeper at non WOT would be nice.

The Redeye has an entirely different engine and it sounds that much better. It is deeper and louder. Its’ components look the same as my old Hellcat. I have owned both like others here. I cannot imagine I want to change anything on my RE exhaust, IMO I agree with my RE friends above, it sounds as good as it runs, great!
Thanks for letting us WB HC owners and Scat Pack owners know our Rides are just much inferior to yours do you feel much better now that you got that out of the way?

Last edited:

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
all sounds the same to me

Member ID
Reactions
City
Not telling
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat challenger
The exhaust is unchanged. I just took my AWE touring exhaust with the quad tips back off, since it was to loud and just sounded to raspy. Installed the oem exhaust again and questioning myself why I ever took it off? There is no power difference, and it sounds so much better with the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust is also illegal in Europe and won’t pass emissions and noise regulation. Lol

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Why all the hand wringing now? Just wait for the car to show up, listen to it and then decide what you want to do.

OP
C
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooklyn
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Why all the hand wringing now? Just wait for the car to show up, listen to it and then decide what you want to do.
Meh. Just wanted to get an idea of where I’ll stand. Mental preparation and all that jazz :ROFLMAO:

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Meh. Just wanted to get an idea of where I’ll stand. Mental preparation and all that jazz :ROFLMAO:
Good point. Id be trying to forget I ordered it or Id be watching the damn clock every day painfully waiting.
FWIW my 15 HC was a good bit louder than my 18 and 19 SP. Had to put mini bullits in for the mid mufflers on the SP and keep the valves open to get it where I wanted it. HC seemed loud enough as it was. I always see people comment that the RE is a little louder. Good luck deciding