Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Skinny reps?

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Does anyone make a “Slingshot” rep that qualifies as a front skinny? I have 10.5 reps and 555Rs coming for the rear. Wondering if a complete “stealth look” is attainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Does anyone make a “Slingshot” rep that qualifies as a front skinny? I have 10.5 reps and 555Rs coming for the rear. Wondering if a complete “stealth look” is attainable.

I've been trying to find something similar for the same reasons. I'd like my wheels to match front and back. I've even thought about getting a front set the narrowest I could get them and then having them narrowed to what I want, but that starts getting expensive. I really don't like the skinny offerings from Weld or others for our cars. I had hoped that the companies making Demon wheel reps would make a front skinny, but I haven't found one yet. And Race Stars don't do much for me either.

OP
DaveB

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I wonder what it would cost to narrow up a cheap 9.5 rep...? Like take 4-4.5 inches out of the inside. Is it even doable since they are cast?

There’s a member on here who has a rear set (1 of 2 sets made apparently) of 18” Slingshots. Custom made deal. I wonder who made them and would they consider doing more....18” rears and 18-20” narrow fronts. Maybe a group buy thing would help price...?

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I wonder what it would cost to narrow up a cheap 9.5 rep...? Like take 4-4.5 inches out of the inside. Is it even doable since they are cast?

There’s a member on here who has a rear set (1 of 2 sets made apparently) of 18” Slingshots. Custom made deal. I wonder who made them and would they consider doing more....18” rears and 18-20” narrow fronts. Maybe a group buy thing would help price...?

I was thinking along the same lines and had the same concerns with the cast wheel. I saw that posting as well about the 18 inch Slingshots. I think he mentioned that Alcoa had made them, but not 100% positive. I've thought about buying some take off Dodge wheels to see about having them narrowed for a set of front skinny tires. I'd want to keep everything from the hub to the outside untouched to benefit from the offset and eliminate brake clearance issues.
I'm not versed in the art of welding, so I don't know if the cast rep wheels could be effectively welded back together or not. I would hazard a guess that there is enough knowledge here on the subject of welding who could give us the answer....

looking at you @motorhead, and @BULL :)

and I'll put in my apologies now for any welding or knowledgeable persons that I skipped over....it wasn't intentional :)

Last edited:

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
WeldCraft in Michigan added 1.5" to my wagon's Ronal R15s (pricey German castings), gave them a 4" lip.

20190723_193146_HDR.jpg

They can narrow most any wheel. It will cost a bit, but it is custom work.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
WeldCraft in Michigan added 1.5" to my wagon's Ronal R15s (pricey German castings), gave them a 4" lip.

View attachment 12914

They can narrow most any wheel. It will cost a bit, but it is custom work.
I wasn't sure if the castings might be too porous for welding as opposed to forged wheels.

and that wagon brings back memories of my mom's car in high school.....'79 Malibu Classic wagon.....I used to love taking my girlfriend out in that car because it had working a/c.......and plenty of room ;)

OP
DaveB

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I guess before we get all nuts about narrowing a 20” wheel....is there a narrow tire that is appropriate? A 165-175 would be preferable I would think?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I guess before we get all nuts about narrowing a 20” wheel....is there a narrow tire that is appropriate? A 165-175 would be preferable I would think?

BMW i3 and M/T just released a new 20" front runner.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6622

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

It's scary how much we're on the same track. I hadn't checked for a skinny or thinner 20 inch yet, but I figured there would be options in the 18 inch range. I just really started thinking about this in earnest since this past weekend. I was looking at the useless all seasons on my car now, and then looking at the condition of my factory drag radials, which don't have much left until the wear bars hit. I found a guy that has the same wheels that came on my car for sale, that when I started thinking about narrowing a set of factory 20's.
Then I started thinking about widening a set of factory 18's for the back, and using a set of 18's on the front. The problem I run into with factory 18's is that they won't fit over the Brembos.....so....now it really starts to get expensive if you start reconstructing those. Might as well buy a set of Welds.....but we come full circle to the lack of like for the Weld offerings.
I'm gonna start looking at what options there are for a thinner 20 inch tire......let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Macedon
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
It's scary how much we're on the same track. I hadn't checked for a skinny or thinner 20 inch yet, but I figured there would be options in the 18 inch range. I just really started thinking about this in earnest since this past weekend. I was looking at the useless all seasons on my car now, and then looking at the condition of my factory drag radials, which don't have much left until the wear bars hit. I found a guy that has the same wheels that came on my car for sale, that when I started thinking about narrowing a set of factory 20's.
Then I started thinking about widening a set of factory 18's for the back, and using a set of 18's on the front. The problem I run into with factory 18's is that they won't fit over the Brembos.....so....now it really starts to get expensive if you start reconstructing those. Might as well buy a set of Welds.....but we come full circle to the lack of like for the Weld offerings.
I'm gonna start looking at what options there are for a thinner 20 inch tire......let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same.
FYI, Factory Demon 18” wheels fit just fine

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
FYI, Factory Demon 18” wheels fit just fine
Yeah....and I've tried 3 different ways to get them but everytime I do, I get stonewalled needing a Demon VIN and buyers order. I tried just giving them a VIN....no go....need to see that I actually own the car. I wish Dodge would make those skinny wheels or something similar available because I don't care about the little devil tail on them.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
I recently ordered a set of Welds for my upcoming Redeye. For the fronts, I didn't want a fragile "track only" wheel like the Alumastar so I went with their 20x7 S71 wheel in the front and a 17x11 for the back

I haven't been able to figure out which tire people are running on these wheels so far, but I'm going to order a Bridgestone Potenza S011-I in a 195/50R20 sizing. This may be the tire Motörhead is talking about, I dunno.

What I DO know is...
- it's a "max perf summer tire"
- load rated at 1,521 lbs/tire. That should be sufficient.
- speed rated to 168, basically the same as a typical drag radial

I'll post up how that goes when it all comes together

srtdusty

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Mound
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
8FFE492C-C121-4639-B503-80B53243B549.jpeg 28DBA9A2-4EAB-49C8-A404-56A8B5E02FA9.jpeg 80ABB5B7-88DA-4FAE-9F67-0941C4A9600F.jpeg

OP
DaveB

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Talk to us....narrowed reps...custom made?

there made by triumph wheels an its called the MX4 2.0...……...I have the same ones 18 by 4.5

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
A couple of skinny reps.
ilhan-omar-aoc.jpg
Sorry.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

srtdusty

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Mound
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
Talk to us....narrowed reps...custom made?

yes sir just as oilburner said i have a set of Triumph MX4’s in 18” (18x10.5 and 18x4.5)