Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rubber in wheel wells driving me crazy...HELP!

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
So I have gone twice to the track with my Redeye since I got it. I love going to the track and want to go lots more but the rubber everywhere is driving me insane. I have a 6"x100' roll of Trakk Tape on the way as we speak to keep the paint on the quarters is protected so fenders are good. The problem is wheels wells. I thought I had the problem solved when I had the wheel lines ceramic coated. It worked well the first time the rubber came off pretty easily but I think the rubber and the heavy pressure washing removed the coating. I used heavy duty bug and tar remover and scrubbed the wheel liners and power washed the shit out of them. I got them 90% clean. Does anyone know a way to get the rubber off of the wheel wells. I have heard some people use WD40. Some use Armour all. Some use PAM. Please let me know what works the best.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Heโ€™ll Cat
I found Lift Off adhesive remover works excellent. Next outing after applying tape spray the hell out of wheel wells with pledge. Stop at car wash on the way home, spray down with lift off, let sit 5 minutes and power wash it all away.

OP
Markp

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #3

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
So I have gone twice to the track with my Redeye since I got it. I love going to the track and want to go lots more but the rubber everywhere is driving me insane. I have a 6"x100' roll of Trakk Tape on the way as we speak to keep the paint on the quarters is protected so fenders are good. The problem is wheels wells. I thought I had the problem solved when I had the wheel lines ceramic coated. It worked well the first time the rubber came off pretty easily but I think the rubber and the heavy pressure washing removed the coating. I used heavy duty bug and tar remover and scrubbed the wheel liners and power washed the shit out of them. I got them 90% clean. Does anyone know a way to get the rubber off of the wheel wells. I have heard some people use WD40. Some use Armour all. Some use PAM. Please let me know what works the best.
Just buy new inner fender liners after every race weekend!

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
Markp

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #5
Just buy new inner fender liners after every race weekend!

I honestly was already thinking of buying new liners. Swapping them out on race day....I am serious. Yes I have issues I know.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I honestly was already thinking of buying new liners. Swapping them out on race day....I am serious. Yes I have issues I know.
........ You and me both .

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
WD-40 works pretty good

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I found Lift Off adhesive remover works excellent. Next outing after applying tape spray the hell out of wheel wells with pledge. Stop at car wash on the way home, spray down with lift off, let sit 5 minutes and power wash it all away.
For an extra cool effect, hold a match to the stream of pledge and then to the stream of lift off.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
I've left the inner wheel well liner alone. Figure I'll either clean it at the end of race season (used WD40 on last car) or I will just replace the wheel liners over time. I'm sure I look like a goof at the track but I tape up my wheel well lips with painters tape as well as my OEM splash guards. I used track armor on the quarters and bottom bumper plastic (worked well, but the track armor doesn't like to stick to plastic, so painters tape works better). My local track has tons of rocks due to crummy blacktop, so the armor helps a ton! After I pulled off the tape/track armor I had a few spots to clean on the trunk lid/rear window from wind blowing it up there, and some to clean off the exhaust tips. Overall the better your prep the less you gotta deal with after you race.

I also bought some Mothers R3 rubber remover, but I haven't had much time to test it with so far. If you look underneath your car the rubber gets on the underside of your bumper past the slits on the plastic wheel well. It's definitely the most annoying part of racing! lots of prep for 3 runs lol.

Like the OP though I like my car clean and I'm trying to keep it as beautiful as possible, for as long as possible. The rubber on the inner plastic doesn't bug be much. Just let it go and clean it later lol. Last time I spent 1-2 hours each side end of season and my hands were black as night lol.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Heโ€™ll Cat

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Mark...โ€ฆโ€ฆ.soak a micro fiber cloth in gasoline, comes right off.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Wear it as a badge of honour!

Honestly I would just get a couple cans of Plastidip, pull the liners off, put a heavy coat on them, do massive burnouts, and peel it off at the end of race season.

EDIT: I also have a couple cans of Duplicolor SHIELD that I have used on the quarter panels in the past (only issue is it is water soluble); this assuming you can find it - I believe it is discontinued.

http://www.derek.com.au/holts.html

Last edited:

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
I feel your pain...

This is what I have to clean up tonight:
IMG_4369 (1).JPG

This was suggested to me to use in lieu of taping; it's water based so it should not hurt any ceramic coating, or the plastic wheel liner:
download.png

I've also tried slathering the liners with Mother's "Back to Black" while changing wheels; it seems to help prevent the track-prep spray from clinging too hard to the liner, but you still have to knock out all the rubbler shards.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@Speedy! has some techniques as well.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I feel your pain...

This is what I have to clean up tonight:
View attachment 3198

This was suggested to me to use in lieu of taping; it's water based so it should not hurt any ceramic coating, or the plastic wheel liner:
View attachment 3197

I've also tried slathering the liners with Mother's "Back to Black" while changing wheels; it seems to help prevent the track-prep spray from clinging too hard to the liner, but you still have to knock out all the rubbler shards.
Now THAT'S a lof of f'in rubber - NICE!!!

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I have used vaseline in the past - on the painted surfaces for other cars. It worked very well - just a light coat, then wax and grease remover to clean up when I am do e racing. I run street tires and an M6 (minimal burnout right now) on the Hellcat so the the rubber I do collect comes off with minimal rubbing (on the liner).

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Lots of good suggestions. If I'm going to the track a lot I'll coat the quarters with clear Plastidip, that makes cleaning those up easy. The wheel liners are a bit more tricky. I've found spraying them with Pledge, Honda Polish, and WD40 all work, the key for me has been to wipe the out when changing tires before leaving the track. Pisses off your buddies who aren't bothered by nasty wheel liners, but it's peace of mind for me LOL.

I may try some of that Burnout Gaurd on them to see how that does.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@Markp.
Just to help with your ocd. Take a look inside your rear bumper near the tailpipes as well as the floor near the mufflers.๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.
I spray mine with Stoners trim shine. It helps.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
@Markp.
Just to help with your ocd. Take a look inside your rear bumper near the tailpipes as well as the floor near the mufflers.๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.
I spray mine with Stoners trim shine. It helps.
That's just evil....now I'm antsy to check there on my car....you @#$%!& ;)