Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ripples / Die Marks in doors around mirrors.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Maple Plain
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack
Are slight ripples / die marks on the doors around the mirrors common on these cars?

The ripples/die marks are most noticeable when looking down the side of the car from behind.

I have them on both the DS & PS doors on my Aug19 built WBSP.

I can attach pictures later today if that helps.

Thanks,

Eric.

Bkuz

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat

This was on a 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8.

BKuz

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Are slight ripples / die marks on the doors around the mirrors common on these cars?

The ripples/die marks are most noticeable when looking down the side of the car from behind.

Thanks,

Eric.
Have not noticed anything. But will look into now.
Thanks!:eek::mad::unsure::cautious:;):cool:

OP
X
Member ID
Reactions
City
Maple Plain
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I’m using the horizontal beam from a storage rack in the background and the reflection off the paint to show the extent of the ripple / die mark under the DS mirror (similar concept to the lighting the PDR guys use to find dents).
The beam is straight but the ripple makes it appear bent in the reflection under the mirror.

I apologize in advance if this brings similar issues to light on other people’s cars.

I’m just trying to gauge whether I should do something about it (PDR) or accept it as a know issue that really isn’t hurting anything.

Eric.

Attachments

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

Thanks,

Eric.
Not on my original body built Nov 2018.

OP
X
Member ID
Reactions
City
Maple Plain
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6

This was on a 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8.

BKuz
Assuming the car in the video was yours, what was done to correct the issues?
I saw the “fixed twice” note on the back of the car and cringed a little bit as I’ve already had my car at the PDR shop once to remove a small dent in the hood behind the heat extractor of unknown origin and two small dents in the roof that I was unaware of until the car was under their lights.

Eric.

Bkuz

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes the car was mine. I noticed the dents after major temperature swings here in Florida. A couple of days after it really got hot I saw the first dent on the roof. It was fixed and then I noticed the second one on the roof in December after we had a cold snap.

Over time more and more dents developed. The first time Dodge accused one of my kids throwing a ball against my car. I told my kids we’re grown up and not living at home. The second time I brought the car in, Dodge accused my wife, who was mad at me, beat my car with a rolling pin. I told them my wife doesn’t bake and does not have a rolling pin.

I had enough of Dodge’s BS and contacted the Florida Attorney General and after that Dodge wanted to sand down the whole car and put bondo on all the dents and then re-paint the car. I said no and contacted the BBB and sent this video to every Dodge Executive and Car and Track, and other car magazines. Within one week Dodge decided to buy back my 2011 Challenger and give me a 2012 Challenger. Dodge never told me what was causing the dents.

BKuz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Do not over scrutinize the bodies and paint on these vehicles. You will be disappointed. I do high end detailing on the side and personally have owned a 16 challenger hellcat and now a 19. Both have had slight ripples in the roof pillars and front fenders. If you get down low and look at the bottoms of the doors you can see where high spots from the paint running down and settling creates ripples. Both were purchased new and most I’ve seen were like this or else I would’ve turned it away and had them build another one for me from the factory. I would’ve never taken delivery of one had I done that since I’ll find something wrong with any of them.

Bkuz

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
45FA0E59-B2C8-42D3-89CE-9614B5CC5358.png

The 2012 Challenger SRT8 I got in return for the 2011 had none of these dents or ripples. I was not going to accept a vehicle with over 20 defects in it body.

BKuz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Yes 20 is excessive, but I'm sure I can find something wrong with any of them.

OP
X
Member ID
Reactions
City
Maple Plain
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Has anyone had success having the ripples under the mirrors and above the door handles removed by a PDR shop?

Thanks,

Eric.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
I don’t know that I would try and mess with that. Especially if you have the ripples or slight dents in the pillars because you can’t get to the back of those reinforced areas. Just know you aren’t the only one!

OP
X
Member ID
Reactions
City
Maple Plain
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Update: Over the last few weeks I’ve stopped at a number of dealerships to look at other new and used challengers. Every single challenger that I looked at has the same ripples / die marks on the doors. The features seem to stand out a lot more on the plum crazy and black cars.

I no longer have any intention of addressing these issues on my car as I have confirmed that they are nothing more than a characteristic of the car.

Eric.

Last edited:

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
I have the slight ripple under the door mirrors. I just pretend it is not there

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
These cars are not perfect, regardless of the price point they are at. I accepted that a long time ago, starting with a '10 model that had a lot of dust nibs in the clear coat that had each been sanded and buffed. Had to be in just the right lighting and look close, but my "Eagle Eyes" could spot them. My '15 model Scat Pack Shaker had very consistent paint, but a couple of ripples in the fenders you could see if you looked close enough. My first Red Eye had a quarter panel problem that had been fixed and repainted before being shipped from the factory. My second Red Eye is as near perfect as I can expect. Very nice paint, with minor defects in the metal, here and there that you have to look specifically to find / see.

Enjoy your car. If you have someone "fix" the problems, they just may make it "different" or even worse.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Amen! Don’t scrutinize these cars. It will give you anxiety!