Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye vs Hellcat and HP

bobn

Member ID
Reactions
City
Belgrade
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
WTB: Challenger RE standard body
I used to own a 2016 HC M6. Recently I test drove a 2021 RE; and since the sales guy was with me I was being respectful but getting on it gently, if that makes sense. And WOW I was impressed with the responsiveness. I just don't remember my HC have the same responsiveness when I would hammer down on it.

Is the difference due to an auto vs a manual? How much of the difference is hp? Gearing in RE was stock.

Is a HC A8 going to have similiar responsiveness as the RE? As looking at purchasing and if I get a HC I don't want to be regretting not getting a RE.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
707 vs 797

Some credit to the 8sp vs 6sp

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I owned a regular Hellcat and now own a Redeye and I can't really tell a difference until I run somebody. Yeah the RE is worth it. No desire for a manual transmission because the Hellcats A8 transmission is just spectacular to say the least.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I have owned both with autos. It is not radical different. Yes Re is faster but it’s not like your gonna smoke a HC and be way down the road. I had the narrow body HC 16 and then the WB RE. I kinda missed the crazy bust loose feeling with the HC versus the Sling Shot feel with the WB RE. RE for sure will always be the talk now but at the end of the day there both fun and can’t go wrong either way. And auto HC is more responsive as well over the Manual.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I think a lot of what you are feeling is the auto vs. manual, the performance potential of these cars with the auto transmission is just more period.

I've raced a few regular Hellcats in my redeye, and by the top of 2nd gear and through 3rd gear the redeye pulls away. It has a higher redline and different personality in the upper rpms, it likes to be there more. The redeye really exaggerates the need for better rear tires on these cars, and I also don't think the redeye is any quicker with the 3.09 gears, the 2.62s really suit the powerband well, better than the regular Hellcat IMO.

OP
B

bobn

Member ID
Reactions
City
Belgrade
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
WTB: Challenger RE standard body
Thread Starter #6
I have owned both with autos. It is not radical different. Yes Re is faster but it’s not like your gonna smoke a HC and be way down the road. I had the narrow body HC 16 and then the WB RE. I kinda missed the crazy bust loose feeling with the HC versus the Sling Shot feel with the WB RE. RE for sure will always be the talk now but at the end of the day there both fun and can’t go wrong either way. And auto HC is more responsive as well over the Manual.
I like the felling of the torque in the seat of the pants in the low to mid range section, not a top speed guy. Pretty similar feeling in the HC (auto of course) and RE?

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I like the felling of the torque in the seat of the pants in the low to mid range section, not a top speed guy. Pretty similar feeling in the HC (auto of course) and RE?
If your RE has capable traction (good tires for it), it pulls harder. Otherwise with the same tires etc. it will break loose even more easy.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Redeye has more HP and torque with a larger supercharger and a better bottom end.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I used to own a 2016 HC M6. Recently I test drove a 2021 RE; and since the sales guy was with me I was being respectful but getting on it gently, if that makes sense. And WOW I was impressed with the responsiveness. I just don't remember my HC have the same responsiveness when I would hammer down on it.

Is the difference due to an auto vs a manual? How much of the difference is hp? Gearing in RE was stock.

Is a HC A8 going to have similiar responsiveness as the RE? As looking at purchasing and if I get a HC I don't want to be regretting not getting a RE.
If your RE has capable traction (good tires for it), it pulls harder. Otherwise with the same tires etc. it will break loose even more easy.
Agree with @DGatzby post above. My '15 Hellcat had summer Pirelli's and did what I call "the squirm" when you laid into it on the street. I'm sure traction would have been better with DR's.

My '19 REWB has the crappy Pirelli all-seasons, and I get the same "squirm" (rear end going side-to-side a bit trying to dig in) even worse when I lay into it, but keep in mind it has wider crappier tires....but it does seem to pull slightly harder overall and a bit longer than the HC did. And no, I don't just hammer the throttle to the floor for a smoke show, I gradually lay into it for both cars. -And both had/has the standard 2.62 rear gears.

Either car has more power than you really need for the street for sure...but it's FUN!!!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
707 vs 797

Some credit to the 8sp vs 6sp
Give it all the credit you like...is it faster:unsure:...of course..how much...half a second maybe ... so yer worried bout the half a second longer its gonna take to get to the finish line...I'm more interested in the hours more of a fun factor the M6 is to DRIVE.....now if you just wanna steer and mash the throttle...the A8 is a wonderfully marvelous choice for you fellas...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I have both..a Demon..and an M6 HC..both with drag radials..I regularly drive them both back to back in the same day...the differences are more than subtle..the Demon launches hard..(over a year to get the launch down)..paddle shifters are useless when racing..the HC's no slouch..and with DR's I get respectable launches ...but the HC is no match for the Demon...If pressed to keep just one...I keep the HC...I'm a driver..paddles are great.in a canoe....fortunately I can keep both...the back to back jaunts are a lotta fun...

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I'm sure traction would have been better with DR's.
You don't need drag radials to get excellent traction. I've never owned drag radials and my fastest 0 to 60 in Street radials is 2.9.
I have walked many of Corvettes from a dig, actually I have never lost from a dig from any vehicle. If you know how to feather the accelerator and set up a car for drag just about the only thing that will get a hint of a lead is a AWD vehicle but only for a second.

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
I ordered a regular WB Hellcat Challenger a couple months ago. I wanted a Redeye but Dodge stopped taking orders supposedly because they have to catch up on the orders they already have.

I’m very excited. I sold my ‘19 Scat Pack Charger last summer just to upgrade to a Hellcat. I’m sure upgrading from a Scat Charger to a WB Hellcat Challenger will be a huge difference. Lol. And I heard Wide Body’s handle better because of the wider tires.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I’m sure upgrading from a Scat Charger to a WB Hellcat Challenger will be a huge difference.
Oh, yes it will be.

You won't have to hesitate about which door to use to get into the driver's seat, for example. And people won't try to flag you down for a ride to the airport.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I will add to this conversation that we had our annual State St Cruise last Saturday and a buddy of mine brought his M6 SRT8 to the cruise and about two hours into riding around in stop and go traffic, with stopping for the constant burnouts (city allows it this one day only) traffic lights and just a slow roll over our 4 mile stretch with a large car show at each end his knee was worn out riding the clutch ( I told him at the end that he has neutral:))

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
The only real difference is u can push it harder with the Redeye before it blows up lol. A Whipple 3.0 will make more power than a Redeye can handle. The chiller is a great add-on tho especially when u upgrade to the FI ull get ur temps down to 35 degrees!

The Redeye is perfect if ur plans are to make a 1000 hp safely. And forget the stick shift it will just slow u down smh.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Oh, yes it will be.

You won't have to hesitate about which door to use to get into the driver's seat, for example. And people won't try to flag you down for a ride to the airport.
But, but... I've met some really nice people who have mistaken me for a Uber.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I will add to this conversation that we had our annual State St Cruise last Saturday and a buddy of mine brought his M6 SRT8 to the cruise and about two hours into riding around in stop and go traffic, with stopping for the constant burnouts (city allows it this one day only) traffic lights and just a slow roll over our 4 mile stretch with a large car show at each end his knee was worn out riding the clutch ( I told him at the end that he has neutral:))
Now that guy ....should have an A8...ya ride a horse,,,,not a clutch..

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
But, but... I've met some really nice people who have mistaken me for a Uber.
Uhhh..what else have they mistaken you for...eh:unsure::unsure:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Uhhh..what else have they mistaken you for...eh:unsure::unsure:
Their wife's ex boyfriend, the 1 who she stills calls out his name...