Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Red Eye "Torque Reserve"

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
From what I understand the "Torque Reserve" feature spools up the SC more efficiently for anti-lag off the line; and, when engaged gives the engine an "unusual sound".

Is the about right; and, how is it engaged?

Thank you !

Last edited:

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Cut and pasted:
Demon's unique exhaust sound is the product of an advanced torque reserve launch system—the first ever designed for drag racing in a production car. This system allows more air to flow through the engine before launch, building rpms in the supercharger without overwhelming the brakes and spinning the tires. Torque reserve is triggered when Launch Mode is selected and engine speed is greater than 1,000 rpm.
Torque reserve closes the supercharger's bypass valve to build boost, manages fuel flow to the cylinders, and varies spark timing. The change in exhaust tone is created by the engine controller briefly cutting fuel to certain cylinders in order to balance engine torque.

-There's no "spooling up" with a roots blower. It's always putting out some boost as long as it's turning. How much boost (and when it's applied) is controlled by a bypass valve...

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
" The system effectively holds onto 8 psi of boost from the 2.7-liter supercharger by closing off the supercharger's bypass valve. The supercharger is always spinning at a rate that depends on engine rpm because it doesn't have a clutch disconnect. By closing off the bypass valve, the air is not recirculated and it's on reserve for a launch instead."

Read more, here:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...eserve-work-on-the-dodge-challenger-srt-demon

Bob
Riverside, California

OP
Rollieman

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #4
Thank you all for the very much for detailed explanation.

To expand on this a bit; since the Red Eye does not have a transbrake then I assume the torque reserve feature only engages when the car is in launch control mode?

Apparently some folks seem to do better from a dig without launch control, thus I assume they receive no benefit from the torque reserve?

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Corrected thread title from "Reverse" to "Reserve"...

;)

OP
Rollieman

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #6
Corrected thread title from "Reverse" to "Reserve"...

;)
Thank you Bull !!!

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
Just like our cars don't have the trans brake feature from the Demon, I don't believe they have the torque reserve feature either. Maybe it's incorporated in with the launch control, but I don't think so. I've never used launch control and really don't plan to. Let us know if you find the TR

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Just like our cars don't have the trans brake feature from the Demon, I don't believe they have the torque reserve feature either. Maybe it's incorporated in with the launch control, but I don't think so. I've never used launch control and really don't plan to. Let us know if you find the TR

It's there, in a limited, and undocumented fashion...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Sorry, for the REs

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Redeyes can build boost at the line using LC. However, I have not been able to put that boost down successfully on a 28" small tire

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
It is my understanding that the quickest privately owned stock Demon (one seat- 9.71) was achieved by foot braking. I am not sure if anyone has had success with the transbrake, torque reserve or other launch options.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
It is my understanding that the quickest privately owned stock Demon (one seat- 9.71) was achieved by foot braking. I am not sure if anyone has had success with the transbrake, torque reserve or other launch options.
But we are under the impression that Leah used both the TB and TR to get the 9.65, right?

FWIW - The Trackhawk has the Torque Reserve, and it doesn't have the 2.7 or the transbrake. The new Hellcats will also come with Torque Reserve... and the Redeye was advertised as having it by several publications. It's there, isn't it?

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
But we are under the impression that Leah used both the TB and TR to get the 9.65, right?

FWIW - The Trackhawk has the Torque Reserve, and it doesn't have the 2.7 or the transbrake. The new Hellcats will also come with Torque Reserve... and the Redeye was advertised as having it by several publications. It's there, isn't it?
Jack,

I am not sure how Leah did it, based on my conversations with Ron his quickest passes were by foot braking it. Phasthemi has tried using it (his post is above).

The problem is that the supercharger makes soo much torque at low RPM that it very very difficult to get the tires too hook leaving at a high rpm (anything at or near 2,000 rpm). The stall on the Demon/RE is higher than on a hellcat, the stall on a Hellcat is 1,800 rpm or so.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Jack,

I am not sure how Leah did it, based on my conversations with Ron his quickest passes were by foot braking it. Phasthemi has tried using it (his post is above).

The problem is that the supercharger makes soo much torque at low RPM that it very very difficult to get the tires too hook leaving at a high rpm (anything at or near 2,000 rpm). The stall on the Demon/RE is higher than on a hellcat, the stall on a Hellcat is 1,800 rpm or so.
Redeyes have it on LC. We have datalogged it and know it is there. Even setting it to leave at 1100rpm, the car is traction challenged on a 305/45/17 radial. Better results can be obtained using it with a taller, wider tire like a 305/45/18 or 315/50/17.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I live in a fairly populated, busy suburban city. No places really, to practice Line Lock, Torque Reserve, Launch Control. For the most part, I would need to practice with that stuff on a Wednesday night grudge race where I can only get in about 3-4 practice runs. However, the starters are always rushing everybody up to the line to keep it moving, moving, moving. I don't have a big problem with launching off the brake. However, I'd much rather do my burn outs with the line lock. That would be a much cleaner, effective burn out without the wear and tear on the Brembos. I'm committed to practicing with the buttons for the line lock before my next trip to the track. I'm at about 10.67 and want to get down to at least 10.50 before the end of the season. That would be sweet!

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Wilson
State
WY
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Trackhawk
Trackhawk guys get better results from foot brake in sports over launch control as well FWIW.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Dodge is doing some really ingenious stuff lately. It really is impressive what a bunch of engineers can do when a company quits handcuffing them.

Last edited:

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
My 18 charger has LC and TR. Both logged and observed.

Empty parking lot testing in Mexico...of course.