Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Race cool down mode

Member ID
Reactions
City
Nicktown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 hellcat
Hey guys, I have a 2019 Hellcat. I'm having an issue with my race cool down mode. It always says the battery status is not met when trying to use it at the track. I've charged the battery and had it to the dealer. They said the battery is fine, there's no software updates and they don't know what is wrong with it. Has anyone seen this issue? I've found other forums where they say replace the battery. I'm cool with that if it will fix the issue but the dealer said there's nothing wrong with it.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Do you have the hood closed ? I think it has to be down & don't think it works below 55*.

OP
B
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nicktown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Yep, the hood was closed. Everything was checked in the green circle to indicate they were compliant except the battery status. Battery status is always orange and has an exclamation point on it. The ambient temp that day was about 80 and the intercooler temp was well over that after each pass. Race cool down mode has worked in the past but developed this battery status issue toward the end of last season.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I know with auto stop start on cars the car monitors the battery and will not work if it feels the battery isn’t right.
If taking the ground off and putting it back on doesn’t work you may need a new battery.
To anyone who doesn’t know the built in race cool down does a readiness check and shows green check marks if it is met.

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
I run into the same issue with my 2020. Most of the time it works fine, but many times it says battery status

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
When It works do you guys have good luck with the cool down?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Hey @BIG CAT HELLCAT glad you made it over. Good knowledge here and welcome.

OP
B
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nicktown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

OP
B
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nicktown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 hellcat
Thread Starter #9
Jonx96,
The feature does work really well. (When it does work) it helps to keep your et lower and consistent. The fans run to cool down the intercooler and circulate coolant as it does. The engine itself also benefits from this because the coolant in the rad is being cooled while the fans are running.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
2018 Demon.
I start my car once the fourth car ahead of
Me in the staging lanes is at the stop sign before the water box.

I watch the IC temperature in my dash cluster
As It drops. I log that number before I enter the water box,
And try to repeat for the next pass.

I never use the cool down feature.
Ive never had enough battery anyways.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
The thing I didn't like about the cool down was the hood had to be closed. I did find you could pop the hood and it would still work.
Unknown to me until this morning but the 19s you have to use track mode to use the chiller which is unfortunate. Cooling this things is a choir.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
The thing I didn't like about the cool down was the hood had to be closed. I did find you could pop the hood and it would still work.
Unknown to me until this morning but the 19s you have to use track mode to use the chiller which is unfortunate. Cooling this things is a choir.
Yeah forces the suspension to be in track mode, however I was high 1.5 60 footing pretty easy in track mode the last time I raced, which was earlier this spring, I've been meaning to get out more and experiment because I felt I could do better, but just haven't had time to race lately.

I do like running with the chiller on and I also think it works really well. Funny this is coming up because when I did race this spring, I also had trouble getting the fans to run in cool down mode, I know I've had them working on other occasions.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Yeah forces the suspension to be in track mode, however I was high 1.5 60 footing pretty easy in track mode the last time I raced, which was earlier this spring, I've been meaning to get out more and experiment because I felt I could do better, but just haven't had time to race lately.

I do like running with the chiller on and I also think it works really well. Funny this is coming up because when I did race this spring, I also had trouble getting the fans to run in cool down mode, I know I've had them working on other occasions.
I have found to activate while it is tuning and then turning it off works best for me.
I could try track and see how traction is. But I need all the traction I can get when I put timing to it. I cut a 1.3 60ft. Then I was on my way to a better 60ft after I bumped power up. Wheels came up and then hopped really bad so I let off.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
My former 19 Redeye did this , the battery was replaced under warranty . The battery monitor status has a quick disconnect pigtail, disconnect it for five minutes and hook it back up ! That might cure your issue. Sorry don’t have a picture.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Makes sense w hood closed.

And not to sidetrack, but any flak from tracks for the chiller dropping water on the surface?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
So do cat converters.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
Makes sense w hood closed.

And not to sidetrack, but any flak from tracks for the chiller dropping water on the surface?
There is an absorbent pad under the chiller to catch the condensation.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
That I did not know

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
That I did not know
F34317A9-5077-40E1-AC82-3816B95F6682.jpeg If the adhesive fails and pad is out of place under the chiller.
Your car can turn into a one wheel wonder
If it gets hot out and the water drips down through the plastic covers on to the track.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
That is going to be put to the test Monday on a road course, with the balance of the cooling systems. Expected 90+ degrees and dew points over 73!! It either survives or it will be for sale. It has come down to one more chance for the RE.