Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Question regarding nitrous and Hellcat motors

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
How do these motors handle a nitrous shot using a fogger for example? If it was primarily for air charge cooling, say 50 or 60 shot, would the motor and the computer be able to handle it without tuning for it specifically?

School me (I am not a nitrous guy)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Nope

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
thats some good teaching right there:LOL:
You have to have a tune.

What else can you say?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
How do these motors handle a nitrous shot using a fogger for example? If it was primarily for air charge cooling, say 50 or 60 shot, would the motor and the computer be able to handle it without tuning for it specifically?

School me (I am not a nitrous guy)
It does cool but you are also adding a lot of oxygen so you need more fuel and depending on octane less timing to compensate

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
You have to have a tune.

What else can you say?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's what I suspected, but thought I'd ask you guys. Never used nitrous (more into forced induction), never even considered it until now.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That's what I suspected, but thought I'd ask you guys. Never used nitrous (more into forced induction), never even considered it until now.
You can buy a supercharger cover with spray bars in it. Sends it directly to the rotors which helps with cooling.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Playing Devil's Advocate here...

Why can the motor "self-tune" for radical changes in DA, but not for something like a small shot of nitrous?

(Assuming that you haven't already maxed out your injectors)

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
That was my initial thinking, but there are.lots.of quirks, at least.to me, in this otherwise we'll programed and we'll sensored motor.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Playing Devil's Advocate here...

Why can the motor "self-tune" for radical changes in DA, but not for something like a small shot of nitrous?

(Assuming that you haven't already maxed out your injectors)
You can do some searching and may find the answer. My biggest thought was the added oxygen, not air, oxygen leaning the engine out. I was never a fan of it. I had seen too many times the "experts" that used it all the time even have issues. It is to unstable with too many things to go wrong

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Seen people do it before but those engines weren't as touchy as this one. Keep it small and the changes might not pushbit beyond the tuning envelopes ability to compensate. But as noted this motor is oddly limited in some areas at least too me.

Anyway, it's a good discussion

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
1662986916442.png

This is the system that is used for "Top Cat" Challenger. the description gives some good info about how NOS is set up.
https://highhorseperformance.com/ni...wk-ram-trx-durango-srt-hellcat-6-2l-00-10158/

Description

Flow Up To 400HP. This system comes out of the box with everything you need to spray 200HP, but can spray up to 400HP with additional jetting.

Superior Atomization. This injection plate has 6 specially designed nitrous and fuel discharge ports that completely saturate the air intake charge with the best atomized mixture possible. For higher horsepower levels proper distribution into the air stream is critical for even cylinder to cylinder distribution.

Wet Nitrous Plate. This system includes a billet aluminum plate to fit the Dodge Hellcat supercharger snout and is capable of flowing up to 400 HP of nitrous. Each billet plate has a black anodized finish with CNC engraved logo and fuel/nitrous labels.

Vehicle Specific. The Nitrous Outlet Vehicle Specific Nitrous system is the safest, best fitting, and most tuner friendly system available.This system is designed specifically for the all new Dodge Hellcat, including an intake specific solenoid bracket, fuel rail adapter for aftermarket fuel rails, and application specific hardware for the best fitment and cleanest install on the market.

Complete System. This system includes all of the necessary components; billet aluminum nitrous plate, 50-100-150-200 HP jetting, hardware, and wiring to properly install a wet nitrous system on your vehicle.

Wide Open Throttle Activation. This system includes a wide open throttle (WOT) switch that only allows the system to be activated when the motor is at full throttle. This safety feature will help prevent engine damage.

Application. This system is specifically designed to fit the 2015+ Dodge Hellcat Supercharger snout and has vehicle specific solenoid brackets.
Flow Up To 400 HP Anodized Billet Aluminum Nitrous Plate 400+HP Solenoids Fuel Rail Adapter E85 Compatible With Different Jetting All Hardware, Electrical, Bracket, and Jetting Included Includes Jetting for 50-100-150-200 HP
Texas State Residents will be charged Sales Tax.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
At the track you need to have a bottle warmer and other knowledge of how to use it. Otherwise your Supercharger will Blow up!

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I mean for a 50 shot I wouldn't pull any timing on my own car. But as Linda said above nitrious isn't as simple as opening the bottle.
Nitrous pressure alone I've seen a lot struggle with.
Did you buy a new hellcat you plan on racing?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
…Did you buy a new hellcat you plan on racing?
You have good insight!:rolleyes::D

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Otherwise your Supercharger will Blow up!

We've never seen that before....

How many times did he do that?

; )

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Nitrous back fire are always a fun thing:LOL:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I had a gas backfire with a 426 Hemi back in the day. It broke the removable single 4BBL intake top and almost blew the top off of the “Rat Roaster” intake and blew one of the fastening bolts through the garage ceiling! It also broke the ear off of the base on my 850 Holley double pumper! My wife came running out to see if I was still alive! It sounded like a bomb went off! I put a stock intake on it after that!:ROFLMAO: 3BF69439-6807-4E14-BA87-BB0610520D50.jpeg

Last edited:

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
We've never seen that before....

How many times did he do that?

; )
Well, I heard of 5 but it's probably more. " I have plenty of superchargers " he said!
The one I saw happen is the 1st picture and that SC blasted right through the hood and that Car which also had a brand new wrap on it! Totally grenaded, because he forget to turn off the NOS during a Burn out! The small shots like 150 is really max, But he was "Max effort", in seeing how many he could blow up.I think he holds the World record for the most blown up superchargers.
That 1st one the guys vacuumed everything up and he went home and got another one. They had that installed, but he missed his race and was done and out. But he got his very own Meme! I'll have to find the hood pic.

1662999900563.png

From another time Wrong NOS company for the Hemi cars too Nitrous Outlet is the better product to use.
1662999949422.png
And another time
1663000020588.png

But seriously people get NOS addicted like a drug addict and they keep going for more.
There are other superchargers that have blown up from too Much Nos. But the World record has not been broken!

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
My next supercharged 6.2 will have a bottle attached to it. When you top out the stock blower, it’s the best way to cool it down and add more power while you’re at it.