Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Question about 4.5 vs 115 lug circle…

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Anybody here mounted a set of our 115mm pattern wheels on a 4.5” circle hub? I’ve been told that they are so close that it can be done with no issues. I’ll be checking this out for myself next week but wondering in advance on what to expect. Thanks.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Some have put mustang wheels on their Dodge which are 114.3mm or 4.5" . 115mm is 4.52" May not even notice. They work that way so probably work reverse. Would I do if I'm taking my car to the track, NOPE

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Would have made more sense for the late model Dodge to have stayed with 4.5" but nope they had to reinvent the wheel, literally:unsure:

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #4
I’m changing my front brakes to the DragPak setup and those hubs are 4.5. My Billet Specialties front runners are the 115’s for the Hellcat. I would expect that .02” would be a issue with shanked lugs but these use acorns so I’m hoping they will snug up nice and tight. I’ve had so many people just laugh and say it’s not a problem so we’ll see.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I’m changing my front brakes to the DragPak setup and those hubs are 4.5. My Billet Specialties front runners are the 115’s for the Hellcat. I would expect that .02” would be a issue with shanked lugs but these use acorns so I’m hoping they will snug up nice and tight. I’ve had so many people just laugh and say it’s not a problem so we’ll see.
I wouldn't do the back but that is me. You may be fine with just doing the fronts. Like I said you may not even notice they are different when test fitting them

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #6
If I don’t like the way they go then I certainly won’t be doing that. I was just wondering if anybody here could share an actual experience with it.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
A member on the other forums did it with 114? vs 115 (I forget the exact Delta he was playing with)

He had torque retention issues regardless...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It was the same guy, I think, that put the 2.62 gears in his M6

:rolleyes:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
What could possibly go wrong with slightly bent wheel studs?
Just use a more powerful impact wrench.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I would personally not do this and buy new wheels. But if I were backed into a corner, logic would tell me that I want to put one stud at 6 o'clock and tighten that one first. Just snug. The then upper two and the last 2 then tighten in steps from there as evenly as possible. Or maybe install aluminum hub centric rings. Just thinking out loud.

I do know from watching equipment with rotating shafts and using hand tools that when something is eccentric and running on bearings it will tolerate only so much......then all hell breaks loose. Yes the tire sidewall will flex and maybe a race car can never even reach that critical speed in this case. Maybe.

The Guy that makes the hub centric rings is looking for a clearance/tolerance of .002. So one tenth of that.........

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #11
I already have the Ford version of the Billet Specialties frontrunner identified and a buyer that is interested in the Hellcats with my M/T Sportsman tires. The Fords are probably going to need a .25” spacer for the different backspace. My shop has some machine capabilities and we’ll see once and for all what the deal is with this question. The issue isn’t really the cost of replacing what I have with a new set. The question is…. How long is that going to take? Probably a year the way things are going.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #12
Well I made the decision to go with the Mustang (😳) wheels on the front in order to run my DragPak brakes. I had some machining options for the 115mm wheels, but in the end it’s just a lot easier to sell them to my buddy Primetime so he can match the rears I sold him. I may end up running a 3/8” spacer due to the Mustang back space difference but I’m betting I don’t.

Last edited:

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
It all depends on your standards and definition of fit:

Yes, you can slide the wheel on over the studs. However, you cannot tighten all the lugs without the wheel moving off center. The best example is when you use lug nuts with a shank that goes inside the lug bore. The first one will fit as it centers in that bore. The rest will get progressively harder to turn into the bore. If you do it by hand and a socket wrench you’ll see what I mean. If you use an impact gun, it’ll have no problem. However, your wheel won’t be centered, some of the studs will have bent slightly. As far as I’m concerned, either the wheel is right for the car or it’s not. 114.3 is not 115 and vice versa.

Some people will say “aw, it’ll be ok” but I live with a higher standard when it comes to wheels, tires, brakes and suspension. Too easy to kill yourself or someone else when those items fail.

Don’t compromise. Do the job right...