Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

PPF, need help.. take a look at these pics..

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Guys, just got PPF done to the challenger. These guys did a near perfect job. The only problem is.. when I look at it with a polarized lens from my Costas blue lens Sunglasses.. check this out and tell me why this happens? Some chemical or moisture caught under the plastic? Should I be worried about this? Or will it go away? Just got the car back a couple days ago.. didn’t think much of it at first.. but now I’m wondering.. first photo is naked eye.. the next ones are putting the camera phone under my glasses lens.. you guys see this?? What the heck is that color distortion under the plastic? Never saw this with the charger.. 1A2890B1-F8BF-47C4-94D2-38CF8B3170E5.jpeg 85B901A2-B627-4495-9D42-C9309B16EF14.jpeg 9738F0D1-2326-43B4-BC65-E3DC4EFBC9B2.jpeg 0C6129EE-A00F-497E-A5BB-4B968E43947C.jpeg you see the smuggeyness around the left hood scoop.. also in front of left headlight, a bit above right hood scoop (that tall acute triangle) a little and top left corner of hood.. and especially that one to the left of hood at the bottom (really bluish purple).. just above that you can see some discoloring fingerprints.. again this is all under the plastic.. pressing lightly on it or wiping on top does nothing.

Last edited:
OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
I drove it around out in the sun.. this made no difference.. these spots didn’t change color or nothing. Do I need to take the car back to the shop for them to peel it back and wipe it down and reapply? Kind of a shame.. because the work really looks good.. except looking at it under a polarized lens.. unfortunately I always wear my glasses too. So this really bothers me.. thoughts, advice please!!!

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
The shop doesn’t open until Monday. Wanted to get you guys input before I called them out on this. And send them an email of these pics..

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I have PPF on my GT350, but not my HellCat. I asked my guys who do my wraps and PPF and they said it's more to with the polarized lens than the film or the adhesives used.

Screenshot_20200223-064818(1).png

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
http://www.xpel.com/faqs/

This is a very common occurrence with Paint Protection Film of all brands. It has to do with the difference in refractive index between the layer of film and the paint on the car. It is most noticeable on compound-curved surfaces because the film must be stretched over these areas to allow it to be installed without wrinkles. When the film is stretched, it becomes slightly thinner in those areas which causes the phenomenon seen through polarized glasses.

It can also occur on flat surfaces when the installer needs to use a drying solution (as opposed to a slip solution) such as alcohol and water to get the needed bond to the paint. This is due to the difference in viscosity of the fluids and their effect on the adhesive’s properties.

Polarized glasses have this effect on a number of different multi-layer surfaces (not just paint protection film) made of glass or plastic.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
This is purely an interaction between light reflected from car surface through the film and polarized glasses. Light reflected from the surface is polarized in different direction and each polarization propagates through the film differently. This is an inherent feature of the film as it gets oriented to some degree during the installation. A good analogy would be looking at a screen of an ATM machine in polarized glasses – you can see a normal screen when you look straight at it and then you tilt your head and see a black screen

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
A good analogy would be looking at a screen of an ATM machine in polarized glasses – you can see a normal screen when you look straight at it and then you tilt your head and see a black screen
😂 The first time I experienced this was actually at a BNSF railyard picking up a load. It's all self service automated screens and both me and my trainee had polarized glasses on and all we saw was black screen. WTF? Then I took off my glasses...Crazy. 😳

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Cool, yeah I noticed a lot more on cold morning today.. I think once it’s hotter it will not show as much. Good to know nothing to worry about. Thanks guys.

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
I have PPF on my GT350, but not my HellCat. I asked my guys who do my wraps and PPF and they said it's more to with the polarized lens than the film or the adhesives used.

View attachment 13132
What you posted here is what came to my mind while looking at the pictures. Simply put what he sees are the stretch marks on the film due to it's inherent qualities.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Polarized lenses do weird things with films Have you looked at window tint and noticed the difference? Is that a seam that runs to the hood intake?

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Polarized lenses do weird things with films Have you looked at window tint and noticed the difference? Is that a seam that runs to the hood intake?
Yeah two Seams on both hood intake coming down.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point