Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

POWER TILT STEERING COLUMN RACE SEAT WORK AROUND

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I am working on this. This "work around" will make the Power Tilt and Telescoping Steering Column operable again if you have removed the Driver Seat to put in a Light Weight Racing Seat or other Aftermarket Seat.

STEERTNG COULMN HARNESS.jpg

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Interesting. With these mods though the car becomes unstreetable right (won't pass inspection)? Won't matter to those who need to do it, but just thinking of the ramifications.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #3
Interesting. With these mods though the car becomes unstreetable right (won't pass inspection)? Won't matter to those who need to do it, but just thinking of the ramifications.
I guess I did not make it that clear. I am trying to make the Power Tilt & Telescoping Steering Column operable again after someone removes the Drivers seat to install a light weight racing seat.

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
nope

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I am working on this and I am at a point where I need a car to test on. I am in Pasadena California and was looking to see if anyone had a need for this that is close to me. This "work around" will make the Power Tilt and Telescoping Steering Column operable again if you have removed the Driver Seat to put in a Light Weight Racing Seat or other Aftermarket Seat.

I also need to get your ideas.

It might be able to be made extremely simple where you are responsible to insert some pins in a connector and then tape everything up. The cost probably would be minimal if I can get a cheap supply of pins.

Second choice will likely be I supply a connector that you plug in and that is it. This option will most likely be $125 to $150.

It is possible that neither of the above choices will work ( I have not been able to test this out yet), and in that case a Harness/Connector AND a module will be needed.
In this case if you used the module out of your original seat the price would be in the $175-$200 range. A redundant module to work with this setup would cost $75 more.

It's possible it would be advantageous to do this at the same time as a driver side Airbag Light bypass harness and allow the cost of that to be a little less (usually $175).

I might be able to test remotely if someone had a Car and the need and was really good with a meter and can follow detailed instructions.

View attachment 18187
You need the module from underneath the seat . I started looking into this a while back but put it on the shelf for a later date . It was getting expensive , the demand wasn't high enough and I didn't need it as I never use the electric column controls anyway.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #6
You need the module from underneath the seat . I started looking into this a while back but put it on the shelf for a later date . It was getting expensive , the demand wasn't high enough and I didn't need it as I never use the electric column controls anyway.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
I honestly think it might be possible to do it without the module. FCA prints can be confusing because the nomenclature changes depending on what that the desired effect is and the differences in the hardware/devices. I am only trying to do this because several people have asked me for it. It would also be a nice option to have with the Bypass harnesses I make to turn off the Airbag light.

I am 99% sure it can be done with the module and a seat wiring harness. But if my theory is right, it could be extremely simple. I just need a car to measure some circuts on and do some very careful testing. That Steering Column Module is $300 and I bet it would be a bitch to change. If I had a power steering column on my RedEye this would be ready by now. I would have no problem testing on my own car.

My other project is for my Friend Hellcat Dan. He wants the ventilated Driver seat to work when the Pass seat is removed. Even though it costs more we went with a New Seat Harness and a New Redundant Module to fix his problem. Parts are on order. This way the Seat Fans along with the seat Heater and Steering wheel heater will run using the Radio screen just like OEM and no other wires or switches need to be added to the car (it's a Demon). Plus he would not let me test on his car.....Gulp:rolleyes:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I honestly think it might be possible to do it without the module. FCA prints can be confusing because the nomenclature changes depending on what that the desired effect is and the differences in the hardware/devices. I am only trying to do this because several people have asked me for it. It would also be a nice option to have with the Bypass harnesses I make to turn off the Airbag light.

I am 99% sure it can be done with the module and a seat wiring harness. But if my theory is right, it could be extremely simple. I just need a car to measure some circuts on and do some very careful testing. That Steering Column Module is $300 and I bet it would be a bitch to change. If I had a power steering column on my RedEye this would be ready by now. I would have no problem testing on my own car.

My other project is for my Friend Hellcat Dan. He wants the ventilated Driver seat to work when the Pass seat is removed. Even though it costs more we went with a New Seat Harness and a New Redundant Module to fix his problem. Parts are on order. This way the Seat Fans along with the seat Heater and Steering wheel heater will run using the Radio screen just like OEM and no other wires or switches need to be added to the car (it's a Demon). Plus he would not let me test on his car.....Gulp:rolleyes:
Fantastic.I hope you get it to work. Like I said I tried awhile back but shelved it. Keep us posted.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #8
Dan's Driver Seat Vented workaround should be tested soon. I have the new parts in stock and will make his harness soon. He will have an integrated workaround that will include the airbag light / seat belt light and his Driver Seat heating/cooling with the Pass Seat removed.

Thanks to @Marc W I now have the parts to test the Power Steering Column workaround. I paid for another day on Tech Athority and did more research. I am going to test some other possibilities but the safest and most likely workaround will be to include the module. I hope to get this done Tuesday if my Friend is still down to do it.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #9
OK, I now have the setup to get the Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column to work again when removing the Driver seat. I finally tested it today and it works.

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Good job Ron. Always looking out for our Hellcat Community.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
On the subject of race seats..... Ron... is making some great advances to allow these to work. Here’s another one.... Pro Car Innovations. I talked to him today about the Hellcat. He does not have a layout available but would like to make it. Real race seats are side bracket mount and these are designed for those. They are adjustable by changing the position of the seat and locking it down. Much safer than weak ass sliders. I’ll attach a pic and you can see how that would work. This place is in Chino, Calif. not far from you Ron! He would love to get a Hellcat in there and design one for us. 714-243-8526. D314FAA3-7EA6-40FE-9672-73276E437CC5.jpeg

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
Can you post the wiring diagram? Could have a CAN or LIN bus that needs to be present.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #13
I guess I should also say that I have successfully made the workaround to enable the operation of the Drivers Seat Heat and Ventilation when the Passenger seat is removed. The one I made for Dan works perfectly.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Keeping your butt cool is the first step to going fast! :)

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #15
I also have just heard back from a 2008 SRT8 Challenger owner that removed both fronts seats and replaced with a racing seat. The setup I made for him to get rid of the airbag light and the seat belt light worked perfectly.

Last edited: