Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Power stop brake squeal

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
One of my front DTC-70’s
One day BIR
Flip - little day at local track
Then; One day RA

I never find any paint on my pad backing plates, only flakes and some larger areas that just peel away.

E905CE7F-ACB3-4D27-B023-276E05C24CDE.jpeg
These wore real well, they have some life remaining. Like TD these will go into a box of used. I did put a set of one day at BIR fronts for this past Sunday at RA also. That was such a short and wet day, they will survive for one more day somewhere.

39D1FAEB-4B3C-49C1-9206-463E3E834068.jpeg

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Ok, who wants to see a dyno run video???

(For those that haven't already seen it.)
Me! Me! Me![lockdance]

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

This is out of context, so don't try to put too much into what it is or isn't. The one point I will say is that it is not a CDT rotor, but it is a test that we developed.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Holy crap! The sparks are a flyin’

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
This is out of context, so don't try to put too much into what it is or isn't. The one point I will say is that it is not a CDT rotor, but it is a test that we developed.
Fascinating video of the test, Bull. So that replicated a lap at BIR (more or less - understand not to read too much into it).

I saw another test of brake pads on YouTube a while back, but it didn't look as hellish as this one!

One of my potential takeaways (chime in, anyone) from watching this is if I want to come off track early before the "cool down" lap is...to consider driving my own cool down lap. Call it an easy lap with minimal braking, while trying not to get in the way of other drivers, so my car doesn't catch on fire *grin*. Dang!

Do people come off track with red hot rotors?? Those look like they'd melt the tire, or maybe the asphalt under the car.

Thanks for sharing...I think!

Last edited by a moderator:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Fascinating video of the test, Bull. So that replicated a lap at BIR (more or less - understand not to read too much into it).

I saw another test of brake pads on YouTube a while back, but it didn't look as hellish as this one!

One of my potential takeaways (chime in, anyone) from watching this is if I want to come off track early before the "cool down" lap is...to consider driving my own cool down lap. Call it an easy lap with minimal braking, while trying not to get in the way of other drivers, so my car doesn't catch on fire *grin*. Dang!

Do people come off track with red hot rotors?? Those look like they'd melt the tire, or maybe the asphalt under the car.

Thanks for sharing...I think!

The test circumstances that caused this to happen are a unlikely, but possible scenario.

Firstly, don't use a "street" pad to race at this level! The CoF for this pad in this scenario was nothing short of horrendous, ~.15-.20. (The reasons for why this particular test was done with a street pad and not a track pad are "complicated". :unsure: )

Also, I'm still waiting for the final report/data from this test. Frankly, I'm not entirely confident that the test lab set up the parameters correctly or as specified. The good news is that if that ends up being the case, changing/correcting them is relatively easy.

Also, the dyno instrumentation is really good about outputting the actual conditions that it applied, regardless of what you intended or programmed. For example, and this is critical, the actual energy in, and the duration of each specific event is documented. One example of this is if you program 150mph but the dyno motor either under or over speeds the inertia disks, the actual speed (energy) is recorded each time. (FYI, it gets very close, usually within a couple of tenths mph.)

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
One of my front DTC-70’s
One day BIR
Flip - little day at local track
Then; One day RA

I never find any paint on my pad backing plates, only flakes and some larger areas that just peel away.

View attachment 45169
These wore real well, they have some life remaining. Like TD these will go into a box of used. I did put a set of one day at BIR fronts for this past Sunday at RA also. That was such a short and wet day, they will survive for one more day somewhere.

View attachment 45170
We shall call you "Hawk, The Destroyer".

Of brake pad paint!

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Bull,

Thanks for the video.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
"Firstly, don't use a "street" pad to race at this level! The CoF for this pad in this scenario was nothing short of horrendous."

I have stated my appreciation for the shared expertise on this forum before, but you stressing this caution is a service to people who haven't gotten the word about brake pads. Fortunately for me before I went to the road course I learned of this forum, and this subcategory about tracking our heavy cars. I was warned never to go to a road course with street brake pads. Lucky me.

Any person new to the sport of road course tracking, perhaps even the drag race scene, is going to see marketing/branding of brake pads with "Extreme", "Performance", even "Street/Track" labels. To the uninitiated they would have little idea that these mostly ceramic-based pads are unsuitable, even dangerous, for 20-30 minutes of near constant hard braking.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Man you guys are hard on brakes. Slow down and they will last longer:)

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Man you guys are hard on brakes. Slow down and they will last longer:)
I keep telling @TrackDay that, and he keeps telling me to press it harder for better times. Darn it, he IS right, is the problem.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger

I've pulled off at Brainerd and Road America before and seen smoke coming from my front wheels. It's always been when I come off without a chance to do a cool down lap. That reminds me to go through the parking lot or access roads at 20 mph or greater if possible and stay off the brakes for a few minutes.