Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Optimal transmission temperature

sc4.6

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Stanley
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Challenger Redeye
Is there an optimal temperature that our A8 transmissions should be at for drag racing? I live a short distance from my local track, close enough to where my trans temp is very low if I drive straight to the track, I'm thinking it would be good to get it to a certain temperature before racing, so I'm curious what that temp should be.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yes there is. I'll have to go look at the tune but too cool it pulls power same as too hot. 170F is in my head.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
all I can think about is how jealous I am that your close to 2 tracks:cautious:
agree with speedy on the temp.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I see I have a pic of US flag today, seems to switch back an forth not sure what that`s all about.
maybe a moderator can answer

OP
sc4.6

sc4.6

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Stanley
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #5
Yes there is. I'll have to go look at the tune but too cool it pulls power same as too hot. 170F is in my head.
It would be appreciated if you could confirm the temps. My car gets quicker after I get a few runs in if I go straight to the track from my house, I'm thinking the trans temp is the reason for it.

all I can think about is how jealous I am that your close to 2 tracks:cautious:
agree with speedy on the temp.
I have 3 tracks within 2 hours of me that I have raced at; St Thomas Raceway is 15 mins away, Grand Bend Motorplex is 1hr 15 mins (or 45 mins from my office), and Toronto Motorsports Park is 1 hr 45 mins, it's one of my favorite things about living where I do.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
It would be appreciated if you could confirm the temps. My car gets quicker after I get a few runs in if I go straight to the track from my house, I'm thinking the trans temp is the reason for it.

I have 3 tracks within 2 hours of me that I have raced at; St Thomas Raceway is 15 mins away, Grand Bend Motorplex is 1hr 15 mins (or 45 mins from my office), and Toronto Motorsports Park is 1 hr 45 mins, it's one of my favorite things about living where I do.
been to all 3 over the years, I live in central ontario, small town north of lindsay. group of us go to napierville quebec.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I see I have a pic of US flag today, seems to switch back an forth not sure what that`s all about.
maybe a moderator can answer

It is based on the location if your IP address, or where it thinks your IP address is anyway.

The usual suspect for what causes the change is using a VPN server that is located elsewhere from your actual location.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
What I was remembering is Engine Oil Temp. Here's the table from HPT for a 2020 Super Stock. I didn't see anything in the trans section that lead me to believe there's temp based tq mgmt there.

1682094140599.png

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
What I was remembering is Engine Oil Temp. Here's the table from HPT for a 2020 Super Stock. I didn't see anything in the trans section that lead me to believe there's temp based tq mgmt there.

View attachment 103952
Maybe so but a cold trans will give you a slower et. If I remember correctly @jonx96 posted something about that. I try to have my trans above 130-140 for the first hit.
If I can run back to back my second pass is .03 quicker pretty much everytime. Done dozens of times with the same result.
Then it just stays consistent after that.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'd think by the time the engine oil got to 176F the trans would be at least "warm"? I usually drive my car to the track (over an hour) so it's plenty warm when I get there but when I trailer to an event I make sure to drive around and monitor both ECT and Trans to get them up to a reasonable temp before making passes.

@jonx96 in case he's seen something in the trans tune for temps.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
My car is always faster on the 2nd run if I don't let it cool down.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
No instrumentation, and only on the street, and just a plain HC, but i seemed to find that around 190-200 felt good for my particular car.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'd think by the time the engine oil got to 176F the trans would be at least "warm"? I usually drive my car to the track (over an hour) so it's plenty warm when I get there but when I trailer to an event I make sure to drive around and monitor both ECT and Trans to get them up to a reasonable temp before making passes.

@jonx96 in case he's seen something in the trans tune for temps.
I usually take the car for a drive then trailer it to the track. Once there if trans is cool I take a couple of drives down the 1/8 mile track next to the big one to get temps up. We have 4 lanes but the 1/8 are used for other events.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
yes around 130 degrees as a low for trans fluid temp. @Speedy! shift timing table. Fill and ramp time get quite a bit more aggressive as the trans gains a little heat. A ton of the shift timing tables are temp based.

OP
sc4.6

sc4.6

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Stanley
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #15
yes around 130 degrees as a low for trans fluid temp. @Speedy! shift timing table. Fill and ramp time get quite a bit more aggressive as the trans gains a little heat. A ton of the shift timing tables are temp based.
@jonx96 , this is good info, thanks for sharing.