Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

One of the 1st 1,000 whp Charger builds

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
For some of you who followed me on the other site will remember back 2 years ago when we hit the 1,000 whp mark. I'm not sure I will re post everything but I was a huge RND guy for everyone back then. If anyone has questions about my build I would be happy to share what I have found that worked and what didn't. I have seen many guys going down the same road I already went down only to find the hard truth about what works and what doesn't. Save your money as these cars don't need much to make them fast.

I'm at almost every hemi race event in the Midwest and East coast. I will be in Virginia on Sept. 6th for the next race. Then off the Atco in November to close the year out.

I have raced this car at the Drag Week events for the past 2 years and will be doing the same this year after the Virginia hemi race. I'm always glad to meet new people along the way. Stop by and say hi if you see me at any events. You can't miss my car with the big reflective cat on the side.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Not sure if you saw my recent YT vids on what happened to mine, but curious if you have input if you did? Mine seemed to rip the wrist pin out of cylinder 7 at basically 800RWHP. Theories have been it was a weaker than average piston and maybe too many RPMs. It shifted about 7,000 a few times (like 4 times actually) but wonder if that was enough.

OP
Hellion

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #3
Not sure if you saw my recent YT vids on what happened to mine, but curious if you have input if you did? Mine seemed to rip the wrist pin out of cylinder 7 at basically 800RWHP. Theories have been it was a weaker than average piston and maybe too many RPMs. It shifted about 7,000 a few times (like 4 times actually) but wonder if that was enough.
Over revving or shifting at high rpm (6800 to 7K) has proven to do this on multiple motors. We made power up to 7K rpm on the dyno but turned it back down for the roads and track as a load on the motor will put more stress on the stock parts at that rpm. I have watched sever of your YT videos. Keep them coming as it helps a lot of people.

The next phase of my build is having a billet motor built over the winter. This will cut over 100lbs off the front of the car and be able to push the motor harder.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Whew, a billet motor....cha ching! Can't wait to see how it goes. Any thoughts on trans limit?

OP
Hellion

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #5
Any thoughts on trans limit?
The stock trans is incredible. My car weighs 4,670lbs with me in it and has made a ton of 9 sec pass over the last couple years with no problems. My personal thoughts are the stock trans is good to 1,100 as long as it is tuned correctly. Some tuners take to much torque management out and that kills the trans.

I have the DSS aftermarket axIes, 9", and driveshaft in my car. I have gone through a few axles and one driveshaft, but I will say DSS has always taken care of me on all the problems I have encountered. But never had a problem with my trans.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
The stock trans is incredible. My car weighs 4,670lbs with me in it and has made a ton of 9 sec pass over the last couple years with no problems. My personal thoughts are the stock trans is good to 1,100 as long as it is tuned correctly. Some tuners take to much torque management out and that kills the trans.

I have the DSS aftermarket axIes, 9", and driveshaft in my car. I have gone through a few axles and one driveshaft, but I will say DSS has always taken care of me on all the problems I have encountered. But never had a problem with my trans.
You've broken DSS axles?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Sub'd

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
Hellion

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #8
You've broken DSS axles?
Yes, a couple of them and bent one driveshaft. DSS has always jumped to get me taken care of.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
What caused them to break, just too hard of a launch? Hell the stock axles have held up on a lot of cars. I got my DSS's for a steal, so it makes me curious when I see others have damaged them.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Had a chance to meet @Hellion at a Mopar event last summer, great guy and beautiful car.

OP
Hellion

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #11
What caused them to break, just too hard of a launch? Hell the stock axles have held up on a lot of cars. I got my DSS's for a steal, so it makes me curious when I see others have damaged them.
I broke the Cv joint. Not sure why but the Whipple makes so much torque down low. I'm at 800 torque at 1800 rpm. Carlyle Racing has helped a bunch with pulling a lot of power out down low to soften the launch.

Had a chance to meet @Hellion at a Mopar event last summer, great guy and beautiful car.
Jack, It was great meeting you last year. I figured I would have seen you again this year at the event. I'm sure our paths will cross again. You should come out to Atco in November.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Bought a truck and a toy hauler this year, so priorities changed a little. Went to Hershey PA so didn’t need to do Cedar Point again...
Next year I won’t have the HC anymore, but I’d like to go with some of the local guys who will have some fast ones and meet up again!

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I broke the Cv joint. Not sure why but the Whipple makes so much torque down low. I'm at 800 torque at 1800 rpm. Carlyle Racing has helped a bunch with pulling a lot of power out down low to soften the launch.

Jack, It was great meeting you last year. I figured I would have seen you again this year at the event. I'm sure our paths will cross again. You should come out to Atco in November.
Did you put a diesel in there??

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger

I'm also running a "new" launch tune that leaves on very low timing. Hopefully that plays well with them. My car makes a lot of torque as well for a stock blower.