Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil hose recall

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
A couple of weeks ago my 2018 charger HC blew an oil hose making a complete mess. It has very low miles 36,000, I was told it was not part of the recall that the 2015 -2017 model years had.
While my car is a 2018 model, it was built in Sept 2017. So should this have been part of the recall? I asked the same question to the service dept and they had no reply. Otherwise what the hell would cause a 100% stock low mileage vehicle,(driven at slow speeds at the time it happened may I add) to blow out the hose just as it describes in the recall notice about 1250 hellcats having this problem to come in and get the revised hoses installed, and not have my car on that recall. Anyway, they did repair it but I was upset about the mess that took 3 days to clean up. My opinion is it should have been included in the recall.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I can only speculate, but my suspicion is that they went out of their way to limit the vehicles included in the recall based on whatever data they had to make the determination in the first place.

Build lot or manufacturing date or something.

You could try and submit something to Dodge (not the dealership) and see about reimbursement, or possibly getting the recall expanded.

Ruptured oil lines spraying 7 quarts of hot oil onto a hot engine is a pretty serious event!

@DodgeCares

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If this happens to me when I'm at 180mph in the Standing Mile, I'm going to be Melba Toast...

:mad:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I had that great recall experience. Hoses made in Costa Rica. And Dodge did not keep an individual Parts serial number record of what went on which car so if you were one of the mysterious few if they suspected might have one of the bad hoses you had to go in and have them take the car part to visually inspect the hose and determine whether it was included in the list.
I personally feel, since it looks like they have just one big bin and mix them all together, that it is absolutely possible that you got one of the bad ones that worked it's way to the.bottom of the bin. there does not appear to have been a way for them to track exactly which ones went where which in this age of manufacturing data logging is actually pretty shocking

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Anyone have a link to that recall ?? I knew there was an issue with select 15's, but didn't think it went beyond the 1st year.
I have never been notified by FCA ??

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
It was production during late 2016 first half of 2017 if I remember correctly.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I can only speculate, but my suspicion is that they went out of their way to limit the vehicles included in the recall based on whatever data they had to make the determination in the first place.

Build lot or manufacturing date or something.

You could try and submit something to Dodge (not the dealership) and see about reimbursement, or possibly getting the recall expanded.

Ruptured oil lines spraying 7 quarts of hot oil onto a hot engine is a pretty serious event!

@DodgeCares
I didn't get charged anything, I was just wondering why it was not included in the recall. The funny thing is on the work order it stated "pinhole found in oil hose" lol, it was much more than a pinhole!

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Anyone have a link to that recall ?? I knew there was an issue with select 15's, but didn't think it went beyond the 1st year.
I have never been notified by FCA ??
Magnified got it right,it just sucks if your vehicle isn't on the list and you have to wonder if it has the bad hose, which I hope not in your case.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Magnified got it right,it just sucks if your vehicle isn't on the list and you have to wonder if it has the bad hose, which I hope not in your case.
No issues so far, but my June 23, 2016 build date leaves me wondering .......................

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
A couple of weeks ago my 2018 charger HC blew an oil hose making a complete mess. It has very low miles 36,000, I was told it was not part of the recall that the 2015 -2017 model years had.
While my car is a 2018 model, it was built in Sept 2017. So should this have been part of the recall? I asked the same question to the service dept and they had no reply. Otherwise what the hell would cause a 100% stock low mileage vehicle,(driven at slow speeds at the time it happened may I add) to blow out the hose just as it describes in the recall notice about 1250 hellcats having this problem to come in and get the revised hoses installed, and not have my car on that recall. Anyway, they did repair it but I was upset about the mess that took 3 days to clean up. My opinion is it should have been included in the recall.
I had mine replaced on the recall right after I bought in March 2017, didn't have a leak at the time though.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I had mine replaced on the recall right after I bought in March 2017, didn't have a leak at the time though.
Is there a way to find out if any recalls have been done? Don't know if @SilverBillet did it before I owned the car or if one was even issued. Mine was build 3/16

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
No issues so far, but my June 23, 2016 build date leaves me wondering .......................
Well if I were running those mile runs, I would just buy the hoses and have them put on just to eliminate the unknown.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Is there a way to find out if any recalls have been done? Don't know if @SilverBillet did it before I owned the car or if one was even issued. Mine was build 3/16
I believe if you go to the Mopar site and register your vehicle, it will alert you to any recalls. www.mopar.com
edit: there is also a Check For Recalls button.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
No recall issued while I had the car.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Only one I have that needs to be done is the cats

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Only one I have that needs to be done is the cats
I have that one too & the cruise control one also, not doing either one since I'm tuned.
If dealer will do cats without the reflash which they said they would but that could change by now, I'll do that someday.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Cruise was done. I may do the cats before tuning it

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Cruise was done. I may do the cats before tuning it
That would be best.
Then tune their reflash shit out of it.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I had the cats and flash done. I can’t tell a bit of difference in performance. If anything, there’s a bit more crackle and pop on throttle lift. There is an odor for a few hundred miles as the labels burn off the new cats.