Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil Cooler Line Failure

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
On my way to work, last Thursday, I smelled oil burning. I had my performance pages up and oil pressure was good, so I pulled over, but let it idle. Greeted by oil pissing out the front right corner, of the bumper. Immediately ran back and shut it down.

After a quick tow home, I pulled the maintenance cover and under bumper cover (what an oily mess, that was). The oil was centralized to the area just below the oil filter, where the oil lines turn into rubber hose, then, back into aluminum lines. Now, these lines have expandable PET, on them, so I couldn't really "see" the damage. However, after thoroughly looking at where the oil was, I was pretty confident the oil lines were the culprit.

These things were a pain, to find, but East Coast Moparts came through. Took a week to get them, but I have other cars, so that was fine.

Today, I pulled the lines. You need a low profile hose release tool, 3/4". These hoses are quick disconnect and pop in and out of place, with said tool.

After doing the job (both lines) and an oil change, I took my air hose, to the lines. Short line was fine. Held pressure. Long line... wow! That thing aerated oil like one of those Victorian perfume bulb spritzers! There are like one thousand microscopic holes, in the hose, right next to the crimp. This is on the end that goes into the oil filter boss.

Here is a close up of the damaged rubber hose section:

My Hellcat is MY15, so not part of the recall... Be attentive. If you are MY15, or MY16, check your oil lines, or just replace them. Cheap insurance. Cost me $150, with shipping.

So, problem solved. Few hours of work... Mostly cleaning up the oil mess. Turns out that Dawn Powerwash spray is perfect, for cleaning up oil messes. Spray on. Let it sit. Rinse off. No scrubbing necessary.

Just a public service announcement, friends. Don't let this happen, to you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
On my way to work, last Thursday, I smelled oil burning. I had my performance pages up and oil pressure was good, so I pulled over, but let it idle. Greeted by oil pissing out the front right corner, of the bumper. Immediately ran back and shut it down.

After a quick tow home, I pulled the maintenance cover and under bumper cover (what an oily mess, that was). The oil was centralized to the area just below the oil filter, where the oil lines turn into rubber hose, then, back into aluminum lines. Now, these lines have expandable PET, on them, so I couldn't really "see" the damage. However, after thoroughly looking at where the oil was, I was pretty confident the oil lines were the culprit.

These things were a pain, to find, but East Coast Moparts came through. Took a week to get them, but I have other cars, so that was fine.

Today, I pulled the lines. You need a low profile hose release tool, 3/4". These hoses are quick disconnect and pop in and out of place, with said tool.

After doing the job (both lines) and an oil change, I took my air hose, to the lines. Short line was fine. Held pressure. Long line... wow! That thing aerated oil like one of those Victorian perfume bulb spritzers! There are like one thousand microscopic holes, in the hose, right next to the crimp. This is on the end that goes into the oil filter boss.

Here is a close up of the damaged rubber hose section:

My Hellcat is MY15, so not part of the recall... Be attentive. If you are MY15, or MY16, check your oil lines, or just replace them. Cheap insurance. Cost me $150, with shipping.

So, problem solved. Few hours of work... Mostly cleaning up the oil mess. Turns out that Dawn Powerwash spray is perfect, for cleaning up oil messes. Spray on. Let it sit. Rinse off. No scrubbing necessary.

Just a public service announcement, friends. Don't let this happen, to you.

Part number for hoses and tool???

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Thanks for sharing and happy to hear you caught it before doing any harm! Lisle kit 22990 ( https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/4-pc-low-profile-jiffy-tite-disconnect-set ) I just bought recently for an upcoming trans. job, but I recall the 3/4" size being optional and not included, and me wondering if I would ever need that size lol. I'm checking on this and have added the hoses to my strategic parts wish list!

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Part number for hoses and tool???
Lisle 22970 low profile disconnect tool.

5181869AD Oil Cooler Inlet Hose

5181876AE Oil Cooler Return Hose

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
Actually you don't need the tool. Just pull back the plastic clip retainers off and then with a small screw driver pull the wire c-clips out of the hose adapter nuts and simply pull the hose ends out. They are the same design as on the transmission lines.

images.jpg

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Actually you don't need the tool. Just pull the plastic clip retainers off and then with a small screw driver pull the wire c-clips out of the hose adapter nuts and simply pull the hose ends out. They are the same design as on the transmission lines.

View attachment 82381
Yep, I just use a pick to slide under the clip and then maneuver it right off!

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
That works too.(y)

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Sticky or Wiki worthy.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
I would advise making a flat spot, on one edge, of the tool. It looks like a top hat, knurled, along the outside edge. For the long line, there is no space, for the tool to fit, between the aluminum line and the plastic cooler baffle.

The tool is hinged. I would make the flat spot, where the tool splits apart. After it is properly installed, you will have enough space, to rotate it and release the oil line.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I did notice the area around those lines on the oil filter block was pretty filthy today when changing the oil but I just cleaned it up and checked to make sure the fittings weren’t leaking.

Didn’t think to look at the hoses themselves because there wasn’t any obvious evidence. Now I gotta go back out in the morning and check!

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
After I was into it, I realized that was totally doable. I'm a tool guy, so I erred on the side of caution and bought the tool.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
After I was into it, I realized that was totally doable. I'm a tool guy, so I erred on the side of caution and bought the tool.

I’m also a tool guy but more so, I’m an impatient guy and I didn’t have the tool haha.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
I did notice the area around those lines on the oil filter block was pretty filthy today when changing the oil but I just cleaned it up and checked to make sure the fittings weren’t leaking.

Didn’t think to look at the hoses themselves because there wasn’t any obvious evidence. Now I gotta go back out in the morning and check!
You'll need to slide back the expandable PET and use a good light. If the hoses are wet, change them. It's tight, up there. Take your time.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You'll need to slide back the expandable PET and use a good light. If the hoses are wet, change them. It's tight, up there. Take your time.

I (we) all know you didn't need to take the time to share this, but I think it goes without saying that it is much appreciated!

1/2 the battle is just knowing what, and in advance is always a big help too!

; )

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yeah this is great info. I need to check mine as well.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
What brand is the “tool” line release?

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
What brand is the “tool” line release?
Lisle.

I have a spare, if anyone needs a loaner.

Sent from my SM-G666 using Tapatalk

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Thank you sir! I love tools.😆

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Me too. My hoses and Lisle 22970 on the way :)

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Actually you don't need the tool. Just pull back the plastic clip retainers off and then with a small screw driver pull the wire c-clips out of the hose adapter nuts and simply pull the hose ends out. They are the same design as on the transmission lines.

View attachment 82381
Do you just pull and slide down those light colored/white plastic clip retainers with your fingers? First.