Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Next generation tuning.

Go Goody

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 Hellcat Challenger

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Well, it had to happen.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Pffft. There'll be a way around it. Everyone thought the current gen was the end of tuning and look where we're at now. If Dodge were smart they'd offer an "unlock" service for a fee, void the warranty, and let the owner have at it as they so choose.

2019 and 2020 already have to phone home across the internet, which is a PITA. Makes me thankful for my 2016 which is pretty simple.

These changes "may" be related to warranty claims, but I bet it's more security/EPA stuff. Cars getting hacked got some press lately.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Why can’t manufacturers get the hint? We are driven to mod. How about just one car that’s built for modding? Even the C8 appears to be locked up.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Well, not only that warranties are only good for a specific period of time. Past that the manufacturer has limited liability to perform repairs. Owners should be free to mod if they so choose.

I modify just about everything, and every time I buy a car I always ask them to rebate the car and cancel the warranty since I won't be using it. That usually gets me a couple thousand off the car, but it's not a direct warranty cancel thing.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lafayette
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 hellcat widebody
you can get tuner and unlocked computer for about a thousand now
just put stock computer back in car for any service work

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Pffft. There'll be a way around it. Everyone thought the current gen was the end of tuning and look where we're at now. If Dodge were smart they'd offer an "unlock" service for a fee, void the warranty, and let the owner have at it as they so choose.

2019 and 2020 already have to phone home across the internet, which is a PITA. Makes me thankful for my 2016 which is pretty simple.

These changes "may" be related to warranty claims, but I bet it's more security/EPA stuff. Cars getting hacked got some press lately.

This. Dodge is tossing a lucrative bonus revenue stream for nothing. I have never understood this.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not as simple as that. If Dodge wants to fight because the repair desired is expensive, there are things in the system now that give them a leg up on the "swap the old PCM back in" thing

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Well, not only that warranties are only good for a specific period of time. Past that the manufacturer has limited liability to perform repairs. Owners should be free to mod if they so choose.

I modify just about everything, and every time I buy a car I always ask them to rebate the car and cancel the warranty since I won't be using it. That usually gets me a couple thousand off the car, but it's not a direct warranty cancel thing.
When you do that, they should have you sign something, at a minimum (thinking as a lawyer) and you'd have to deal with Dodge, not just the selling dealer. Can you provide more insight around what they have required of you in that situation?

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
That's fine and all but your car stores a hard code once that PCM is swapped/unplugged. You can kiss any warranty repair goodbye once they see that. SRT has their techs trained to look for pinned cranks as well on these cars. Also, all it takes is a few witness marks on bolts and they know something has been altered.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
If Dodge were smart.
I wonder how many sentences I could start with that?