Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New part request from CAI vendors

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
What the hell are you guys talking about!

2 intakes out that fit our redeye's, KN and AFE. Looks like the winner would be a higher flowing filter with a larger filter.
I would think our stock filters have to have about as much surface area and flow as well as anything out there - no?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Moon shine what do ya tink. The give and take of the heat displacement has to be cultered like in chemo class in college. If the give and take of the tempt is not correct,, oops crack and break. The exspansion and contraction, like your wife at times, has to be at the right center point. It maybe be ugly, but it has to move and groove or break. Could put a bit of paint on it that want crack. With the amount of air displacement it goes thru, lucky we aren't changing like diapers. Or depends in my case. Now they do make a water and oil based paint that can be applied that will take the abuse. Made by Armacell and can be tinted at Homo Deopt for $0. Oil based a bit smelly but works great. Pint, quart, or gallon. Back to the shine show.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
I would think our stock filters have to have about as much surface area and flow as well as anything out there - no?
Dodge made a special filter for the demon for a reason.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
What the hell are you guys talking about!

2 intakes out that fit our redeye's, KN and AFE. Looks like the winner would be a higher flowing filter with a larger filter.
You are obviously trying to make this conversation about what has been marketed to you, or more simply what you choose to understand; thereby not respecting what root of the discussion is or has become.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
You are obviously trying to make this conversation about what has been marketed to you, or more simply what you choose to understand; thereby not respecting what root of the discussion is or has become.
Not at all, I'm trying to stay away from certain conversations that are not needed. I have as well as others been researching this for sometime. Some good intake info has been shared (redeye wise) as well as some that is coming out soon.

Last edited:
OP
Scott
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sheboygan
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #26
The thermal transfer of heat will always move toward the coolest area/material offered (I just taught this to my 6 year old last night about letting the heat out of the house - LOL), the rubber boot on the intake which is being cooled (very little) internally by the air moving through it, and although it is safe to say that the boundary layer along the inner wall of the intake boot is pretty much undisturbed or at the very least the air does not have an opportunity to stagnate in place for very long, even at lower engine speeds (idle) when the air mass is moving "slowly" through the tube. So while there is a significant amount of surface area on the inside of the tube, its ability to transfer the thermal gains to the moving volume of air mass (not just that resting against/near the wall) is pretty minimal. And in many cases the high IATs everyone sweats, and the associated rate of decline once the air mass begins moving quicker, is really more a factor of sensor rate recovery (a physical limitation in the parts design/materials/etc) than the actual temperature of the incoming air (which has already dropped once the throttle was cracked open). A high-end fast sampling thermocouple placed in the air stream would prove this.

The fact of the matter is controlling the heat radiating off the engine and into components managing air mass is a relatively minor concern in the stock system as the air intake tract is sealed away from the engine heat; and the warming of the air mass moving through the engine at speed is minimal before it is compressed by the supercharger (where most of the heated air mass into the engine occurs). The intercooler bricks and the "cool loop" A2W system pulls this heat away... hence why it is good practice to use this surface area to your advantage vs. putting a carbon fiber tube with an open filter on the end. This isn't air mass sitting in between the four walls of your house (accounting for thermal losses and gains throughout the year), it is moving and can only pick up so much temperature from simply travelling down a sealed tube. Aftermarket air intake tubes exposed to under hood air is a different story - because that is the induction of very hot air and it doesn't reach ambient again until the vehicle starts moving.

Those "fins" on the intake tube are for structure, not heat dissipation (the under hood temps are greater than the outside ambient air temps in a sealed system). The last thing you want is an air pump collapsing its access to an air source - kinda kills the overall efficiency, eh? I'd be more inclined to find a means to reflect the radiant heat away from the intake tract (isolating the source, adding physical insulation to the air box/tube, or creating an insulated layer of air (tube in a tube)) than changing the tube material itself... or adding more ribs for her pleasure.

Anyway, these are just my postulations - I have to go hit the gym now. Cheers!
All I want is a carbon fiber tube to replace the rubber just like hellcat legmaker tube but for Redeye. I'll rubber sleeve the ends and hose clamp it to the stock air box. Someone makes one home-made but not nice quality and costly cause not mass produced