Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Never raced using A8, only M6...any tips?

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Typically, with my M6 I'd launch around 3k-3.5k rpms.

I see with the Transbrake that comes with my 1320, SRT engineers recommend around 1,700 rpms; I know there's a gearing difference (duh!) between the 3.09 and the 3.90, but why such an rpm difference?

Any other tips for a first time A8'er?

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I don't have a 1320 or a transbrake but I have a Redeye and I can tell you what works for me. I launch at about 1200-1500rpm and I stomp the peddle in two stages. So best way I can explain it is smash the gas halfway if I feel the car hooking smash the rest of the way. I have got 1.48 60fts doing this. My best advice is just experiment and try to start off easy and work your way up.

Tsubahog

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fl
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
On my M6 I stomped on it. On my RE I quickly learned to roll on the throttle or just burn rubber

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Finesse is the key. You can feel when you are pushing beyond the tires' limits. Cannot wait to get rid of stock summer P-Zeroes. Wheels and tires are my next "big" mod.

AMRCN HP

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Normal
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Billet Silver Redeye
OP, what kind of tires are you running?

On a stock 1320 with MT ET Street R's I'd bring it up to around 1500rpm and stomp it. If you have less tire or poor prep you may need to roll into it.

Paul...

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #6
OP, what kind of tires are you running?

On a stock 1320 with MT ET Street R's I'd bring it up to around 1500rpm and stomp it. If you have less tire or poor prep you may need to roll into it.

Paul...
I'm doing a TT next Thursday (the 5th), then racing Friday and Saturday as part of the MSHS series at VMP (Virginia Motorsports Park). If the track this year is like previous years, the prep will be ridiculously good.

I'm going to do my first few runs just as the car arrived, with the stock Nexens on all four corners; I'm doing this to get a "baseline" feel for what the car is like. Then I'll put my 18" M&H Racemasters on the back and my new M&H skinnies on the front. I hope to make it through the rest of this season's races with my rear drag radials; if not, I'll run the Nexens (in back only).

As I've lurked on HC forums for a while, and participated in what track talk there is over at CT and ForumZ, I've read of A8 drivers "rolling" into the gas pedal, and I believe I understand what they mean through some (cough..."spirited driving"...cough) so far on the roads.

AMRCN HP

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Normal
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Billet Silver Redeye
With the Nexens you’ll definitely need to roll into it. With the M&H’s and stock power on great prep you should be able to bring revs up around 1500 and stomp it after a good, clean burnout (til you get smoke then rollout).

Last edited:

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I have a Scat wide body with the A8 and 20 x11 NTO5R's and I can launch at 2k with 16psl with very little spin.
Everything in track mode but the suspension which is in street.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
I'm not familiar with the 1320, but the A8 in my Demon is geared way differently than a M6. Watch some of the videos and you'll be surprised at how quickly the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts occur. They come very quickly out of the hole. That tranny gearing difference is part of the reason.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The RPM difference is because you were at 3k with no load on the drivetrain at all, then letting the clutch take most of the shock at launch which dropped the RPMs a little. With the A8, and the transbrake, it’s all connected and taking that power. When you’re on the gas it’s just making heat in the tranny and then when you release the beast, there isn’t anything other than the remainder of the drivetrain to take that abuse. The tires probably won’t be able to handle much above what was recommended.