Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

LMI Install Problem

Member ID
Reactions
City
Sinking Spring
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum so if this has been discussed already, I apologize. I have a 2015 Hellcat Challenger and I'm having fitment issues with the LMI. No matter how I position the intake, the filter hits the bracket coming from the radiator to which the factory airbox was mounted. When the filter hits that bracket, it prevents the coupler on the other end of the intake from fitting squarely on the throttle body. It will fit squarely on the side of the TB facing the firewall, but it's hanging halfway off of the side of the TB that faces the radiator. I figured I'd try to sit the LMI cover that comes with the intake over the filter and when the cover hits the bracket coming out of the radiator to which it anchors, I'd be square on the TB. Problem is, there is no way to position the intake/filter where the bolt hole on the cover gets within an inch of the bolt hole on the bracket because the filter (again, doesn't matter how I position it) is preventing the cover from getting near the bracket. Lastly, the receipt I received stated that I should have gotten a red filter, but the one I got was blue so maybe it's possible I received the wrong order because I can't imagine that a $450 intake that I had to provide my VIN to get so it was sure to fit would have this many fitment issues. I reached out to LMI today to get their feedback but I figured I'd check with you all in the meantime to see if anyone had a similar problem. I've been turning wrenches for a quite a while and this is not the first intake I've installed (not even the first on a Challenger), but this is the first time I've had this issue. Anyone else out there have a similar problem?

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Just an IDEA

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What i can say is that for my LMI, I had to rotate it back towards the driver's position so that the sensors would clear the hood.

But then that made the angles all wrong. In order to get it to fit, I had to really offset the natural angles that the clamps and rubber coupling tried to set up, for both the CF piece, and the filter to fit.

I never did find a truly great set of positions for everything.

OP
A
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sinking Spring
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
OP
A
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sinking Spring
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
What i can say is that for my LMI, I had to rotate it back towards the driver's position so that the sensors would clear the hood.

But then that made the angles all wrong. In order to get it to fit, I had to really offset the natural angles that the clamps and rubber coupling tried to set up, for both the CF piece, and the filter to fit.

I never did find a truly great set of positions for everything.
Sounds real familiar.. The last two intakes I put on were Airaid’s on a ‘12 Challenger and ‘17 Ram and both fit like a glove. I probably just took for granted all the newer drop-ins went in as easy. I’ll just have to play with this one a little more. Appreciate it.

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
I've never paid attention but I've put a dozen or so on for friends with no special attention to anything. Never a call back

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
You do have to play with the angles a bit to get it to fit just right. Also like Bull said the sensors need to be angled to clear the hood.

Attachments

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Had one on my 16.
Cannot recall any fitment issues, (but as stated above) just keep tweaking the angles till it fits.
It will be well worth it.

OP
A
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sinking Spring
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
You do have to play with the angles a bit to get it to fit just right. Also like Bull said the sensors need to be angled to clear the hood.
Pics help...thanks

OP
A
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sinking Spring
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
I got it on this morning. I was a little hesitant before about forcing the CF tube any one which way too much because I wasn’t sure how much it would take, but clearly it can handle a little maneuvering. Definitely a snug fit but it’s in. Chris from LMI actually got back to me later last night and said basically what has been posted already, but he was quick about it.

Thanks for the help guys.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So what I said was true before I added the F.I. spacers.

Now imagine moving the whole thing up by 10mm. It's even more tricky to fit in there.

Several people have tried to tell Chris, myself included, that he has a great product, but that the mold isn't quite right.

He hasn't been open to changing it so far, I'm not sure what the resistance is.

I know of a couple of people that have bought one and then turned around and sold them as a result of the less than ideal fit.

OP
A
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sinking Spring
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
The engineering of the tube and filter could definitely benefit from some adjustments because I don’t think it should be that much of a process to clamp on an intake, but I personally didn’t think it was bad enough to move on from. Part of the issue was my expectation that it was going to fit like a glove based on some other brand intakes I’ve installed recently, for which a VIN wasn’t required to order. When it was requested with the LMI, I figured the fit was going to be as exact as exact can be...not so much. Then when you add the odd angle with not being able to get too heavy with the torque on the clamp holding the coupler to the tube to compensate a bit for not being exactly flush, it was a little sketchy. I think just a slightly angled coupler would make a big difference because at least for me, that’s where most of my resistance came from trying to get it into place.

ofdfiremedic

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Mine never sat correctly mounted. While I loved the intake, my JLT is keeping the engine MUCH cooler here in Florida and the fitment was flawless.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Mine never sat correctly mounted. While I loved the intake, my JLT is keeping the engine MUCH cooler here in Florida and the fitment was flawless.
Has JLT finally fixed the problem some people were having that when you closed the hood the hood would sit slightly higher than the fender?

ofdfiremedic

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Has JLT finally fixed the problem some people were having that when you closed the hood the hood would sit slightly higher than the fender?
I had no issues with mine (just recently installed a month ago) with the fitment as far as the hood goes, the directions said you may have to turn the bumper out on the passenger side to combat it but not touching mine at all it sat at fender level on both sides.