Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Kevin Hart Likely To File Lawsuit Against Company Who Built His Barracuda

BoostedCat

Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
https://www.yahoo.com/news/kevin-hart-likely-file-lawsuit-220541042.html

Kevin Hart, and the two others involved in the crash, file lawsuits against SpeedKore over safety equipment, what impact will that have on the impending changes on California laws regarding safety restraints in muscle cars? No doubt it would have a negative impact for classic car owners that are forced to drill into their beloved classic cars to add features they have never been equipped with.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That article is poorly written and references things that just aren't true...

Regardless, the major point of the story, that there is a legal suit being filed seems to be... wrong?

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
They wont win. I mean where do you draw the line with safety restraints that the car never had? There is no law currently in place to provide for that that im aware of. Going forward if the ninnies want to implement a list of mandatory equipment for anything over X amount of hp, this still wouldn't be covered. They can’t go retroactive with future laws as far as I know.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Those idiots better ask for forgiveness again and again not to be killed. Nothing left of the car but the hemi plate. Hollywood ass holes at it again. Get their mugs out front on the web for notification of, I need a job and the web and an attorneys are cheaper than an agent. Ask Jay Leno, whom operates his cars monthly, to drill holes in his million $$ collection and the likes of Cali. Good luck with that. Nancy wood have to plan a lot of B B Qus to try and that on a soap box.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Unless SpeedKore represented the build as having specific safety features and then left them out of the build, I don’t see the suit going anywhere.

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's California.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Unfortunately this seems to be the typical response these days, they can't just take responsibility for their actions. It's always someone elses fault.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
It’s all about money.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
That article is poorly written and references things that just aren't true...

Regardless, the major point of the story, that there is a legal suit being filed seems to be... wrong?

It could just be fake news, but it's starting to propogate across social media, and we all know that given the way Hollywood and modern culture is, everyone sues.
What makes me laugh is one of the articles I read said that airbags and a 5 point harness and roll cage are "necessary safety items" in "such a high HP car". My goodness. A roll cage and a head without a helmet are rarely good things to be in close proximity. An airbag in a 70 Cuda is an almost impossible sight as well.
The sad thing is if someone of Kevin Hart's money decides to sue, it could bankrupt a company as small as Speedkore even if Kevin doesn't win. If Kevin does sue, it will change my opinion of him forever. He's a funny guy, but this is a bridge too far.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
They wont win. I mean where do you draw the line with safety restraints that the car never had? There is no law currently in place to provide for that that im aware of. Going forward if the ninnies want to implement a list of mandatory equipment for anything over X amount of hp, this still wouldn't be covered. They can’t go retroactive with future laws as far as I know.
To change the subject (to show where they have).
Slide Fire (Stock) is now illegal.
Mine never worked, so I threw them away.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
To change the subject (to show where they have).
Slide Fire (Stock) is now illegal.
Mine never worked, so I threw them away.
Good point. Historically with cars though that hasnt happened. As far as I know the safety laws basically pertain to whatever the car had back then. I guess ya never know though...

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ive been saying this for years - if they want to curb the sue-happy society, they should simply implement a “if you sue and lose, you pay all of the defendant’s legal costs” plan. I believe the lawsuits would drop by over 50%. You would have to be damn sure you actually have a case before risking that. Right now it’s “oh it didnt work out, well i tried, oh well”.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Ive been saying this for years - if they want to curb the sue-happy society, they should simply implement a “if you sue and lose, you pay all of the defendant’s legal costs” plan. I believe the lawsuits would drop by over 50%. You would have to be damn sure you actually have a case before risking that. Right now it’s “oh it didnt work out, well i tried, oh well”.
Unfortunately that will never happen. Lawsuits are an American business these days The players involved have way to much money and influence to make sure that would never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
That is a shame, I would have no respect for anyone suing in such a situation. Old car, bad driver, clearly not the builders fault. Frivolous in my mind and hurts the industry. Be a man, admit you screwed up, don't be a little b....

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
And not to mention that they didn't think twice about having a passenger in the back that has NO BACK SEATS. I doubt they were just on a leisurely cruise, with any regard to the safety of an unstrapped passenger in the back.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Unfortunately that will never happen. Lawsuits are an American business these days The players involved have way to much money and influence to make sure that would never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep was thinking the same thing. WAY too much money to be made for common sense to ever prevail.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
The car was built for Kevin Hart who the builder assumed could handle the power. It was Kevin Hart who let another driver take control of the car with him in it so we assume he gave permission.
The problem is the jury always awards something to the plaintive. How much we don't know.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Moral of the story...never let anyone drive your car. When they crash it instead of buying you a new one and saying there sorry they sue you.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I noticed a few things about this car and it's evolution. The car was shown at SEMA and in a couple of mag articles with a Magnuson or Whipple supercharger. The picture of the totaled car shows an OEM Hellcat supercharger. I'm thinking an even more powerful engine was swapped out for a regular Hellcat engine (maybe with a tune on it). More importantly, that car has considerable frame work (so it didn't fold up in the crash) and it had huge Baer brakes on it and huge (meaning WIDE) tires on it. It had enough safety equipment beyond stock to keep a driver out of trouble unless he didn't have a clue what the hell he was doing, which I believe was the case. And even though the back seat had been removed and not set up for a passenger any more, the driver's wife was riding back there. WTH?