Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jeep Testing Self Driving, Off Road Vehicles

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

Attachments

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Taking away 95% of the fun

Good job, Jeep

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
And here I like four wheeling a lot because it added a third dimension to road race tracks I started out on. Not that I go fast up and over rocks, quite the opposite, but it requires quite a bit more driver finesse to make a vehicle go places it rightfully shouldn't be able to, I think (driving off the track was easy).

Making the Jeep perform better is obviously a big part of it, learning what works and what doesn't and modify things accordingly, but to then become one enough with it to know pretty much what it could and couldn't do in most any given situation was very rewarding.

Yes, it resulted in numerous rollovers and much brakeage, but how else would I learn? True, I have said that there's a trail in northern California I've driven so many times that I could probably just put the Jeep in gear and it'd get to camp by itself.
BUT I WAS JOKING!

My guess is that an autonomous Jeep would not only refuse to even try going on the kind of trails I like, but contact Stellantis (through Uconnect) and shut itself down, then arrange for transport to a dealer. Which I wouldn't mind.

Okay, this is what I think now. Ask me again if I become a quadriplegic. Then the thought might be tolerable.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI