Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Important Emissions Recall UB4

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
Got a Recall letter yesterday that states FCA US LLC, has determined my 2015 Challenger Hellcat releases air pollutants that exceed Federal and California regulation standards.

Funny thing is they want me to get this fixed?!? Um I don't think so.

If anything I view this as a Trophy. :)

Jungle Jim

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brandenburg
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Got a Recall letter yesterday that states FCA US LLC, has determined my 2015 Challenger Hellcat releases air pollutants that exceed Federal and California regulation standards.

Funny thing is they want me to get this fixed?!? Um I don't think so.

If anything I view this as a Trophy. :)
Got mine yesterday also........

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
California doesn't have a say any longer.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Is the Hellcat going to be the new Jetta? Always gave my buddy shit for owning a Jetta, till I found out it had an emissions cheat on it. Now I'm like VW is kind of cool in my book.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
It's a supercharged diesel

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Is the Hellcat going to be the new Jetta? Always gave my buddy shit for owning a Jetta, till I found out it had an emissions cheat on it. Now I'm like VW is kind of cool in my book.
Lol - I thought the same thing. Almost made me want to go buy one... ok, maybe not buy one, but maybe consider it.

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
if you let California f*** with your car you'll wish you were driving SXT by the time it's over.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
lol but isn't that state's rights? or is it just state's rights when we like what they're saying?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
For that matter, its also the invisible hand of the market at work. California is only saying to sell cars there you have to meet X standards. No one is telling the car companies they can't build rolling coal diesels and sell them where ever its legal. Only california is the largest market in the US (and isn't that what market economies are about)? The car companies do the math and it makes more sense to them economically to make one line of cars that meet CAs regulations than to make two versions, one for CA and one for elsewhere. If you want to be pissed, be pissed, but don't be pissed because a state is exercising its states rights to control what is happening inside its borders. Be pissed at the car companies and write them up demanding they sell non-CA complaint vehicles everywhere else and that you're willing to pay more to get it.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Oh geez here we go and how many here remember the letter wanting to take your Hellcat away for a week of testing. The new world Government Agenda is go after private and public held companies to fill their war chests. And I have talked about this in the other forum numerous times FCA is on the radar screen to be hammered on EPA guidelines. I personally feel the 426 Motor for 2020 has been delayed just for thus reason. And I am still waiting on my previous 3 ECO Diesel settlements that us truly a joke. The left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing at FCA with the Emissions issues. I’ll be amazed if all of us don’t eventually get a letter no matter what year and this is serious stuff since FCA will have a billion dollars plus being owed when it’s all said and done. The green agenda is just that it’s chasing the GREEN MONEY.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
What does this recall do? Does it affect performance?

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
What does this recall do? Does it affect performance?
I would think it will and only time will tell the real story.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My pile of ignored recall notices (two Rams and the Challenger) will get thicker yet. Oh well.

Tjpatte

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lakeside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
My pile of ignored recall notices (two Rams and the Challenger) will get thicker yet. Oh well.
Same here, Ram and Hellcat the stack is getting big! Funny though, haven’t gotten one for the 70 Dart and it has a 410?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Funny though, haven’t gotten one for the 70 Dart and it has a 410?
They are farther behind on sending the notices out than I thought.

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
For that matter, its also the invisible hand of the market at work. California is only saying to sell cars there you have to meet X standards. No one is telling the car companies they can't build rolling coal diesels and sell them where ever its legal. Only california is the largest market in the US (and isn't that what market economies are about)? The car companies do the math and it makes more sense to them economically to make one line of cars that meet CAs regulations than to make two versions, one for CA and one for elsewhere. If you want to be pissed, be pissed, but don't be pissed because a state is exercising its states rights to control what is happening inside its borders. Be pissed at the car companies and write them up demanding they sell non-CA complaint vehicles everywhere else and that you're willing to pay more to get it.
I am irked and pissed at the State of California and fully blame them. If there was an unhappy face emoji I would apply it to your post. Down with stupid Californian politicians for forcing companies to make that choice.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
lol but isn't that state's rights? or is it just state's rights when we like what they're saying?
I'm a big states rights supporter. That being said the constitution gives the federal government the right to regulate interstate commerce. If anything impacts interstate commerce it is the manufacturing standards for passenger and commercial vehicles. The air quality doesn't magically change because you cross a state line from California to a bordering state. States rights doesn't mean California can impose their standards on another state. Our wonderful governor in Colorado just allowed California emissions standards to be adopted by regulatory fiat. I studied emissions testing in grad school and the way we do it is extremely inefficient. We make everyone with a car a certain age waste an afternoon to go test their late model well maintained vehicle. It's the hooptys spewing visible emissions that are the problem. Enforcement would be much more effective rather than make people waste time getting tests when the vast majority of cars pass. The billions in productivity lost due to these feel good measures is astounding. California could have the cleanest air in the world, but if China and India continue to spew CO2 who is having the real impact on the climate if you believe that's a factor?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If there was an unhappy face emoji I would apply it to your post.
On this "new and improved" site there actually is one.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
California is not imposing anything on other states in this case (you're exactly right that that cannot be done). It is only mandating what has to happen if you want to sell a car in California. The companies are the ones that decide it is better to hit the "one size fits all" configuration for economic reasons than to offer different models in other states. CA has no control over what these corporations decide to do; it can only impose laws that affect cars sold in California.

Just as an aside, CA air is not all that great, but the efficacy of the law is not part of the question, only whether the constituation of the united states (and its enabling statutes and regulations) allow (and in fact protect) those efforts by states to control non-Federally-pre-empted areas of life and law within their own borders and that's an established fact. I've been involved in both constituational, and to a lesser extent, environmental law, and that's just the way it is. California can't say "you have to build cars with X" they can only say "if you want to sell cars in California, you have to have X on them." Any car company is free to build cars without X and sell them everywhere else in the world.

Likewise, what India and China do is not something we, or California, can control.