Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I'm going to have to drive in the rain.

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Octane Red HC WB Redeye
I typically always have the option to avoid driving the Redeye in the rain. However, the day has come where I can't avoid it unless I uber or something ridiculous and believe me I'm considering it. My question is does the filter saturate to the point of impacting performance or am I good with moderate driving? Do I need a filter sock?

It's going to be a short timeframe but it's sadly gonna happen. Still on the stock Pirelli "all season" tires and full car ceramic

Bring on the jokes!

Edit: If I were in San Diego this wouldn't be a big deal but I'm in VA now and it rains all the damn time!

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Tires you should be good. I've never had problems when I had the all-seasons (not by choice, its what the car had on at the dealer).

Better traction than this set up

amish challenger.gif

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Octane Red HC WB Redeye
Thread Starter #3
Tires you should be good. I've never had problems when I had the all-seasons (not by choice, its what the car had on at the dealer).

Better traction than this set up

View attachment 40124
:ROFLMAO: Tires I can manage. More concerned about water consumption.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Drove mine home from dealership in heavy rain, no issues.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I run a filter sock on mine ALL of the time, UNLESS I'm at the track.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I typically always have the option to avoid driving the Redeye in the rain. However, the day has come where I can't avoid it unless I uber or something ridiculous and believe me I'm considering it. My question is does the filter saturate to the point of impacting performance or am I good with moderate driving? Do I need a filter sock?

It's going to be a short timeframe but it's sadly gonna happen. Still on the stock Pirelli "all season" tires and full car ceramic

Bring on the jokes!

Edit: If I were in San Diego this wouldn't be a big deal but I'm in VA now and it rains all the damn time!
If you still have the stock air intake no problem, after market ?????

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Bring on the jokes!

I'm guessing after market intake? If so the JLT comes with a block off plate for the hood in case of rain.

Tsubahog

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fl
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Dont do it:eek:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I drove mine in east coast rain numerous times at highway speed, even in downpours and it never drove enough water through the headlight duct or the hood vent to cause any harm. I had the open top airbox also and had no problems.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Are Redeyes paint and tires made of sugar? Sorry, had to :)

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Bet you wear socks in bed.

Attachments

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Rent a car or Uber. Mines not gonna see rain.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Im actually not sure what the concern is. These cars are DOT approved. They should be able to be driven in weather, no? There are drains in the airbox for rain water. I prefer not to drive in the rain but really just for the paint, wouldnt be worried about mechanical issues.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
A while back I entered in the Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack down in Colorado Springs, and this was just after I lost my trailer.

No big deal, it's not THAT far, I'll go with minimal support gear and just drive the car down...

The night before the forecast pops up with scattered rain...

Shit, now what, do I not go? I'll lose out on my entry fee... But driving 100 miles in the rain??? No...

I get up the next morning and it's clear... But still, I know there's a chance...

$500 entry fee versus driving down the the Springs in the rain... :oops:

I decide to go, everything's great, roads are dry, no rain...

Then it starts to show up as a single drop... Shit...

I'm half way there, can't go forward, can't go back... Shit...

Decide I'll break the car in for rain exposure and keep going...

While it never rained more than just enough to screw up the paint with rain sprinkles, barely enough to put spots on the windshield, I still apologize to my car every now and then for getting her wet...

And yes, I stopped in Colorado Springs before the airport and washed her, rubbed her real nice, made her all shiny before showing up to the race.

PTSD, I've got it for more than just picking up helicopter pieces from the side of a mountain.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Who was the dude that drove his Demon daily in the winter? If that car is fine in shitty and snowy weather, your car will be fine in the rain.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Bring on the jokes!

Rain???..not for me...at speed its suckin more air than a 400lb fat chick climbin up a flight of stairs...but don't worry..the water knows its not supposed to go in there...:giggle::giggle:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Im actually not sure what the concern is. These cars are DOT approved. They should be able to be driven in weather, no? There are drains in the airbox for rain water. I prefer not to drive in the rain but really just for the paint, wouldnt be worried about mechanical issues.
I agree with Slow that they are intrinsically mechanically sound, especially in stock form, for all weather driving. (If you're going to routinely go WOT in torrential downpours you might overwhelm the air boxes ability to shed water, but then that's assumption of the risk right? Moreover, I believe for many it is a question of comfort level and the possibility of others not being able to drive in such conditions. A very good friend of mine was killed in a rain related accident nearly a decade ago and neither involved driver appeared to be at fault. A young girl in the other car was killed as well. It is always an increased risk; the decision is what is your personal tolerance for that risk.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I wouldn't be too worried about rain other than it being a pain to clean the car afterwards. Where Bull and I live you have to worry about stupid hail. It rarely rains here without the threat of large hail.