Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

IHRA/NHRA competitors: Getting legal for ~9.5's

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
It's probably THAT time.

2018 Charger Hellcat. Dusterhoff stage 4. Jokerz blower/Kong 108. Blah blah. 900+whp. 9.97/9.98 @ 138-139 on 1.52-1.58 60ft. Way more left in the tank.

I don't want booted this year and I am seriously considering a run at drag week if I can get a slot.

What are some of the obvious things but also some of the things everyone misses?

My helmet is a full face Snell motorcycle helmet meeting the newer standards. I do not have a jacket or pants. No driveshaft loop. Using stock converter & transmission. Stock axles. No blankets or scatter shields. 17" beadlocks. ET R's. Factory studs.

Not smart to do it like I have been but I FINALLY got a trailer suitable to HRDW so now I have to either get serious or give up.

thanks.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The latest from the sanctions is that our cars are now good to run 9’s at up to 145mph without a cage and the other previous tech requirements in the car (as long as some new rules are met). I have heard that those are…. A SFI -5 suit, a current SA full helmet and neck protection (donut) and…. a competition license. The car has to have all of the OE safety systems (airbags) working. I’m hearing some saying that this only applies to completely stock cars and that power mods negate this. That doesn’t make any sense to me as it’s the crash safety of the car that’s being addressed and what you’ve done to the engine has nothing to do with that. Plus, other than a new crop of EV’s, nothing that is 100% stock is going to run 9’s. I’m waiting to actually read the written NHRA version of the rules regarding this and I haven’t seen them yet.

Last edited:
OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I haven't really heard anything other than the same you have regarding the chassis being good til 9.0 now. I haven't disabled any safety device the car came factory equipped with so I should be good there.

I should've had my license years ago. My local track is IHRA and pretty good with getting people certified so as long as I catch a low turnout I can probably complete it in a single evening.

If what we have heard is true I wonder how many of the other tech requirements will still apply? I'm assuming loops and shields? They're a good idea regardless and may be required by class anyways.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
The latest from the sanctions is that our cars are now good to run 9’s at up to 145mph without a cage and the other previous tech requirements in the car as long as some new rules are met. I have heard that those are…. A SFI -5 suit, a current full helmet and a competition license. The car has to have all of the OE safety systems (airbags) working. I’m hearing some saying that this only applies to completely stock cars and that power mods negate this. That doesn’t make any sense to me as it’s the crash safety of the car that’s being addressed and what you’ve done to the engine has nothing to do with that. Plus, other than a new crop of EV’s, nothing that is 100% stock is going to run 9’s. I’m waiting to actually read the written rules regarding this and I haven’t seen them yet.
hmm since they went back to 2012 I am unaware of any car stock in 2012 to run 9s. I'm thinking as you that may just be a rumor going around. I keep forgetting I will have to get a license. Thanks for the reminder.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
My experience with the NHRA is that you never know the reasoning behind some of their rules, so that’s why I say wait until it’s in writing and hope that you can decipher it. The thing with a cage is…. it is in the way of some of the airbags and requires a full harness. It’s actually less safe on the street. So it’s either all of one or all of the other. Basically the thought behind this new rule change is to address the fact that street driven modern cars are being kept from using the tracks and are out on the streets instead. The “yeah but” deal with no mods allowed doesn’t make any sense but it is the NHRA so…. ?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
@vortecd was saying something about the need for metal valve stems to me the other day

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
@vortecd was saying something about the need for metal valve stems to me the other day
That has always been on the list of NHRA requirements for cars even running in the 11’s. Generally not strictly enforced but mentioned by tech sometimes.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
That has always been on the list of NHRA requirements for cars even running in the 11’s. Generally not strictly enforced but mentioned by tech sometimes.
I was not aware of that rule. Unfortunately, my rear Drag Radials are rubber..... Nothing has ever been said so I won't worry about it until I do a tire change

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
I keep forgetting about the valve stems on the car but I definitely was aware of them for the bike especially for mile racing. I'll have to check and see if PK Auto put metal ones in for me because my rears actually have TPMS in them

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I keep forgetting about the valve stems on the car but I definitely was aware of them for the bike especially for mile racing. I'll have to check and see if PK Auto put metal ones in for me because my rears actually have TPMS in them
If you have Hellcat TPMS they are metal clamp in valve stems. Good to go. If they put some cheap replacements, then who knows.....
Not sure if anyone caught this. You need a Snell SA helmet. So the one you have will likely fail tech.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
If you have Hellcat TPMS they are metal clamp in valve stems. Good to go. If they put some cheap replacements, then who knows.....
Not sure if anyone caught this. You need a Snell SA helmet. So the one you have will likely fail tech.
Had a feeling it might come to that.

In one breath they list all of the helmets together saying it must meet this standard depending on class...then in the guidelines by ET they don't specify much at all in the way of helmet for IHRA. The way it is worded makes it seem like the MC helmet would be legal. I Don't believe any of the drag week classes specify a helmet type but fall back to needing to be legal for the ET you plan to run...

Helmets are cheap in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't bother me to buy one.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Had a feeling it might come to that.

In one breath they list all of the helmets together saying it must meet this standard depending on class...then in the guidelines by ET they don't specify much at all in the way of helmet for IHRA. The way it is worded makes it seem like the MC helmet would be legal. I Don't believe any of the drag week classes specify a helmet type but fall back to needing to be legal for the ET you plan to run...

Helmets are cheap in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't bother me to buy one.
The NHRA requires dated certs on everything. And guess what…. Those certs expire and they either need to be recerted or replaced with new. Can you say… Cha-Ching $$$ The reason they don’t allow the DOT helmets is because they don’t expire like the SA. Gotta keep feeding the aftermarket. My $10k cage expires every three years and I have to pay the NHRA and one of their “Certified” inspectors, separate fees to make sure the Chromoly steel didn’t go bad.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
Of course chromoly has a shelf life. Duh. 🙄

Guess we should be thankful it isn't every 6 months regardless of mileage like PUP 0w-40. Lol.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Is there any rule with seat belts even tho we don’t need a cage? Speaking of things expiring seat belts are a big one

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Is there any rule with seat belts even tho we don’t need a cage? Speaking of things expiring seat belts are a big one
Factory seat belts are good forever. The 5 point one you buy for roll cage must be junk, they expire every 2 years. Maybe they should have the car maker make them:unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I use factory TPMS in my drag wheels also but you could do it way cheaper with just steel ones

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Subscribed, I’m in this same boat. Good knowledge here.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
1644868658263.png

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I use factory TPMS in my drag wheels also but you could do it way cheaper with just steel ones
What's the difference between getting a low pressure warning or no tire pressure light?

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
I have seen nothing in writing from the NHRA in regard to be able to run down to 9 flat and or 145 MPH.