Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I just have to laugh!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, went out next to the Charger HC in the car port to crank the SC GTO over for its semi-weekly run after realizing it had been over 4 weeks since I had done it. It's freezing rain and drizzle. And of course the battery is completely dead (what I get for not putting the charger / tender on it). Now the drivers door "real" key isn't seeming to work. So it's lock smith city or jack the car up and hook a positive to the alternator positive (ground to the block) and hit the key.

Merry Christmas! SC GTO, the gift that keeps on giving!

funny-steve-irwing-cutting-grass.gif

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
Well, took some powdered graphite and some WD40, held the key door open, and applied. After two applications and a little firm twisting, it just gave and turns like the day it was made now. Connected the Swedish charger and hopefully it can revive that battery.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Clear headed thinking.
Me, I probably would have ended up breaking the glass (accidentally, of course) trying to get in.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I wood just have sold it.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Poor GTO...assuming you take Charger for the most part? I like the looks of those GTOs...awesome car especially with SC. Glad you got in safely...what a pain...

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Years and years ago the biggest pot head I've ever known, named Rick, had this beat up VW Beetle. It was once white but had degenerated into that off-white brown color. Inside the front seats were mostly wire frames with a few shreds of Naugahyde clinging to them. The passengers floor board had a 3" diameter hole in it and you could drop things out of it, or allow animals to get in, or water, dirt, etc... We were in a parking lot somewhere, I guess a grocery store or a mall, and came out and as we were walking up to his ride he says "damn, man" and did what we called the Rick bounce (a kind of thing with his head kind of like a nod/bounce, which I think was pot related). "I left the keys in the car." He looked at me for a few seconds, then walked over to this lady who was loading stuff into a minivan and asked to borrow her tire tool (that was visible in the back). She handed it to him and he walks over a bashes in the passenger's side vent window like its nothing, then walks back to her, hands it back and says "thanks!" Her expression. We get in and drive away.

POS battery is too dead for the charger to charge it. Later I will connect it with cables and give it a minimal charge. This charger won't charge below about 2 volts (the sophisticated circuitry evidently thinks the battery is faulty). Down side, when a battery on the car dropped to hard zero a few years ago it F'ed with the computer. Hope that is not the case this time.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Super common for the door lock that never gets used to do that. In a perfect world you need to use it every now and then just keep everything from literally locking up lol.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yea,, I new him,, Rick Derringer.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Super common for the door lock that never gets used to do that. In a perfect world you need to use it every now and then just keep everything from literally locking up lol.
Yep

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
So, finally got around to pulling the cables off the GTO battery (to try and insulate the previously mentioned computer from any more voltage / amp changes). Got one of my portable jump set ups out of the Expeditions and put it on the battery (I have 5 of these set up and they are great and handy to have - I've jumped heavy equipment with them, not just cars and trucks). This is easier said than done in the GTO because the intercooler tank mounts on top of the battery and its lines are not that flexible and, for that matter, neither are the battery leads (damn australians!). For the negative, to keep it away from the battery terminal, I had to pin it to the side of the engine bay with box end wrench. Left the jump battery and car battery direct wired together for about 45 minutes to an hour while I went and talked with a client.

Came back, pulled the jump battery, and hooked the Swedish battery charger / tender up. Miracle of miracles, it registers and auto sets to "cold weather charging" and dives all the way to step three of the charging process. Then, while I'm looking at it, it moves on to step four. So, I expect, and hope, the battery will be topped up tomorrow and I can reattach it. Then the big test, did that hard zero-charge F the ECM up like last time?

Tune in next time, same bat time, same bat channel, for the thrilling out come!

bat logo.gif

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
So, finally got around to pulling the cables off the GTO battery (to try and insulate the previously mentioned computer from any more voltage / amp changes). Got one of my portable jump set ups out of the Expeditions and put it on the battery (I have 5 of these set up and they are great and handy to have - I've jumped heavy equipment with them, not just cars and trucks). This is easier said than done in the GTO because the intercooler tank mounts on top of the battery and its lines are not that flexible and, for that matter, neither are the battery leads (damn australians!). For the negative, to keep it away from the battery terminal, I had to pin it to the side of the engine bay with box end wrench. Left the jump battery and car battery direct wired together for about 45 minutes to an hour while I went and talked with a client.

Came back, pulled the jump battery, and hooked the Swedish battery charger / tender up. Miracle of miracles, it registers and auto sets to "cold weather charging" and dives all the way to step three of the charging process. Then, while I'm looking at it, it moves on to step four. So, I expect, and hope, the battery will be topped up tomorrow and I can reattach it. Then the big test, did that hard zero-charge F the ECM up like last time?

View attachment 14162
Had the GTO been a 66....you'd be drivin it now

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
True

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

View attachment 14162

riddler.gif