Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hmmm. ACR Challenger? My suggestions: Light weight, more power, higher redline, Demon Performance brake pads.

OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Thread Starter #41
PS what is demon performance's NON FACEBOOK website? Tell me they are not so far back in the 1990's that they don't have their own web site...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Girls, easy, decaf or fine wine. I also changed out pads and left the calipers alone. Repainted them. Brake dust down 90%. And an aluminum block would help.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Lot's of interesting conversation in the thread about pads and rotors. A few excerpts found while researching:

OEM Rotor
- “There is as much energy tied up in a snub from 65 to 60 mph as there is for a whole stop from 35 to zero. So the faster you go, you have a lot more energy in your speed. Since the brake system takes all that energy and turns it into heat, the heat is transmitted to the rotors. So a bigger rotor has a bigger area for the heat, or more thermal mass. More ability to absorb the heat.”
Erich Heuschele, Manager of SRT® Vehicle Dynamics and Manager of SRT Motorsports Engineering
https://www.moparmagazine.com/2017/08/big-brakes-101/

- Hellcat Widebody for Pike's Peak Hill Climb - The Brembo brakes are still the same as the factory setup, however, they are now equipped with a set of Pagid RST 1 racing brake pads.
https://moparinsiders.com/dodge-srt-is-taking-the-charger-srt-hellcat-widebody-to-pikes-peak/

- "Comparing the weight of rotor with heat dissipation capacity, it can be concluded that the weight of the rotor increases with increasing heat dissipation capacity."
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/aa8d/41f3cf6ed751baa8cf041eb472115ad8e752.pdf

- Pillar Vane Rotor

Demon Performance Rotor (Girodisc)
- The primary purpose of the Girodisc system is to reduce unsprung and overall vehicle weight. "Reducing the unsprung mass has the additional benefit of improved suspension performance, resulting in enhanced ride and handling."
https://www.girodisc.com/Technical-Info_ep_45.html
- The secondary purpose is to increase the ventilation and cooling capacity of the brake disc while retaining its original dimensions.
- Front Rotor is 6.6lbs less per rotor
- The disc is made from cast iron
- Curved Vane Rotor
- "Decreasing the mass of the disc has a great benefit due to the reduction in rotational inertia. This will allow more of the braking force to be available to decelerate the vehicle, not the disc."
- "If you plan on using stock pads, plan on stock braking performance, but with less overall fade from repeated heat cycles as our rotors cool down much quicker due to the internal design." Demon Performance, Nate

brake-rotor-vent-types_large (1).jpg
https://medium.com/@Jahee_Campbell/...ion-of-an-automotive-brake-rotor-970008425ccd

http://www.ijresm.com/Vol1Iss7July18/IJRESM_17_13.pdf

Comparison (old stock rotor) (Demon Performance rotor)
rotors.png

New OEM 68184587AE
f662bd1b14473c13d4b87b87432ba565.jpg

Old OEM 68184587AD
41N-F30ELeL._SL1024_.jpg

Demon Performance
IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

Hawk Brake Pad Compounds.png

RST Pads
RST Pads.png

Last edited:
OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Thread Starter #45
I notice that the DP rotors have less material between the vane channels and the wear surface. Would their longevity be similar, due to harder material and what, on first sight, seemt to be FAR better cooling setup in the cooling vanes? (more of them)
So curious.

Also, curved vanes lead to reduced chances of radial cracks developing, as Porsche discovered, with their cross-drilled racing rotors.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
I notice that the DP rotors have less material between the vane channels and the wear surface. Would their longevity be similar, due to harder material and what, on first sight, seemed to be FAR better cooling setup in the cooling vanes? (more of them)
So curious.

Also, curved vanes lead to reduced chances of radial cracks developing, as Porsche discovered, with their cross-drilled racing rotors.
Demon Performance recommends changing their rotors at 32mm.
OEM minimum is 30mm per the service manual. After, 61,000 miles, I’m currently at 31-32mm on OEM and plan to change due to an outer lip on the rotor affecting pad contact. Both start at just over 34mm. Both are cast iron discs.

Looks like the main differences are mass, thermal capacity, and vane structure.
Mass - DP rotors have less, OEM has more
Thermal Capacity - OEM has more capacity
Vane Structure - arguments are made for both pillar and curved being better for cooling

Last edited:
OP
K
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Thread Starter #47
Wow. Only 2mm per side of wear allowed on the stockers?
Only 1mm on the DP's?
1mm of wear.

I consider brake rotors to be quite the racket. by putting just 2mm of extra material per side, for an overall increase of thickness of only about 1/6 of an inch, the service life of the stock rotors could be doubled. Yet, they say only 2mm of wear allowed per side. I am not impress.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Wow. Only 2mm per side of wear allowed on the stockers?
Only 1mm on the DP's?
1mm of wear.

I consider brake rotors to be quite the racket. by putting just 2mm of extra material per side, for an overall increase of thickness of only about 1/6 of an inch, the service life of the stock rotors could be doubled. Yet, they say only 2mm of wear allowed per side. I am not impress.
A things considered, the OEMs have last for 61,000 miles with drag racing and 1/2mile racing.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State