Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellno and his 15 inch conversion

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #41
FDFDFDBF-5905-415C-B335-6826753F77E4.jpeg

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Informative thread Dave. I had no idea the 15" conversion was basically as ill fitting as it is. Thanks for sharing.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
For those who might consider doing this but don’t want to live with the ground down pieces.... I heard rumor that Carlyle might be producing a rear spindle that would place the sway bar and toe arm attachment points so that the grinding wouldn’t be necessary. The AAD toe arms pretty much eliminate the need to do it there, but that sway bar point still has to be ground down to wtf! The Carlyle brakes are relabeled Wilwoods and are a very nice setup with good stopping power. No issues there. I know some will be going... why bother to do this? They can make the argument that cars on 17’s and even 18’s are running as fast as anybody. Yes they are.... on occasion. If ones goal is to log personal bests when all the planets align with track prep and other worldly conditions exist, then it can certainly be done without going to this conversion. In fact.. sometimes less tire is better. What you don’t hear from the guy who ran a 1.3 sixty on the way to that 9.5 quarter on completely stock suspension and 18” wheels is.... the other six passes were a bust and he had to get out of it or hit the wall. If your goal is to compete and go rounds you can’t have that. Consistent sixty foots on less than perfect tracks are what get you to the final round. Not a occasional unicorn pass for bragging rights when everything is perfect.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
For those who might consider doing this but don’t want to live with the ground down pieces.... I heard rumor that Carlyle might be producing a rear spindle that would place the sway bar and toe arm attachment points so that the grinding wouldn’t be necessary. The AAD toe arms pretty much eliminate the need to do it there, but that sway bar point still has to be ground down to wtf! The Carlyle brakes are relabeled Wilwoods and are a very nice setup with good stopping power. No issues there. I know some will be going... why bother to do this? They can make the argument that cars on 17’s and even 18’s are running as fast as anybody. Yes they are.... on occasion. If ones goal is to log personal bests when all the planets align with track prep and other worldly conditions exist, then it can certainly be done without going to this conversion. In fact.. sometimes less tire is better. What you don’t hear from the guy who ran a 1.3 sixty on the way to that 9.5 quarter on completely stock suspension and 18” wheels is.... the other six passes were a bust and he had to get out of it or hit the wall. If your goal is to compete and go rounds you can’t have that. Consistent sixty foots on less than perfect tracks are what get you to the final round. Not a occasional unicorn pass for bragging rights when everything is perfect.
No argument from me Marc. A 30" tall 15"rim tire has a LOT more sidewall to get off the start line with than any of the other easier options.
That Carlyle spindle would likely make a very clean install.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #45
Also had to grind in the sway bar on passenger side , it does make you question structural integrity 🤔

Attachments

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Sorry but way too much grinding for me .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Also had to grind in the sway bar on passenger side , it does make you question structural integrity 🤔
Hmmm. Probably unnecessary question but.... is the bar centered? I replaced my sway bar with a 1320 bar and did not have to grind any on the bar. The stock bar has ridges that place it in one position. The 1320 bar does not have those so it can be moved side to side to place it where you need to get it away from the wheel if it’s too close on one side.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #48
Hmmm. Probably unnecessary question but.... is the bar centered? I replaced my sway bar with a 1320 bar and did not have to grind any on the bar. The stock bar has ridges that place it in one position. The 1320 bar does not have those so it can be moved side to side to place it where you need to get it away from the wheel if it’s too close on one side.
It could be off some but checking clearance on other side there was much injury either

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Awesome post man. Good stuff!

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Sorry but way too much grinding for me .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Didn't want to be a downer when the first pics of the chopping and grinding of the spindle was shown (cause it's a great post and I appreciate the sharing of info anyway) but for a street car I wouldn't the 15's. Track dedicated, I can see it.

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
At Dave's power level..he needs 15" and these cars can we track and street cars.

Dave is a mad man. I would not convert my car back to stock and drive it around the streets, like Dave does.

Can not leave home without 800+ whp and love to drive this car on the streets. Will never go back to stock.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #52
At Dave's power level..he needs 15" and these cars can we track and street cars.

Dave is a mad man. I would not convert my car back to stock and drive it around the streets, like Dave does.

Can not leave home without 800+ whp and love to drive this car on the streets. Will never go back to stock.
@Dman007 you’re just jealous because my street tune is faster 😂😂

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@Dman007 you’re just jealous because my street tune is faster 😂😂
You are not faster than 1mph, your broke driveshaft ass. LOL!

Want me to post the videos from Brandenton, FL? lmao

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
You are not faster than 1mph, your broke driveshaft ass. LOL!

Want me to post the videos from Brandenton, FL? lmao
YES ! :LOL:

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Wish youda called me before you did this. Coulda helped you eliminate 90% of the grinding