Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat Exhaust Material

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I searched various sources but have yet to find an answer.

Is the factory 3" Hellcat exhaust made of 409 stainless or is it Aluminized steel? I know it is magnetic, but how else to tell the material?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I believe it is a low grade stainless steel . And fwiw the pipe diameter is 2.75

I'd like to make or get a titanium exhaust to shed a few pounds .......

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #3
I thought is necked down to 2.75 at the mid muffler, but closer to 3 for the rest of the pipe? I think I saw 2 7/8". I measured to OD of the pipe I removed at the resonators and it is closer to 3. Getting the Vibrant installed in place of the mid muffler and I need about 3 " longer pipe on each side. I asked 2 different shops and they both said it was aluminized, but I am suspicious that is only because that is what they carry in stock.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I thought is necked down to 2.75 at the mid muffler, but closer to 3 for the rest of the pipe? I think I saw 2 7/8". I measured to OD of the pipe I removed at the resonators and it is closer to 3. Getting the Vibrant installed in place of the mid muffler and I need about 3 " longer pipe on each side. I asked 2 different shops and they both said it was aluminized, but I am suspicious that is only because that is what they carry in stock.
To be honest I'm going by the details Mopar put out about the car in different articles . Also my SW cat deletes are a true 3in ID and I had to use the supplied adaptors on the stock pipes .

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Best resource may be one of the Vibrant/Magnaflow muffler threads that are out there.

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #6
I did research the Vibrant posts, that is where I got the part number to order. The stock M6 muffler is oval and is about 15" when cut out, the Vibrant replacement is about 12". Most seemed to just drop the car at the muffler shop for the swap, but couldn't find a definite answer as to what material was being used for the 3" added pieces. I guess I could just order some 304 or some 409 stainless pipe and take it to them.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'd say aluminized steel. Factory just doesn't spend that kind of money on 304 or 409 stainless steel.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I'd say aluminized steel. Factory just doesn't spend that kind of money on 304 or 409 stainless steel.
Maybe in part. But, I doubt that it is aluminized. The only possible location that is, is the intermediate pipe - the telltale sign is the seam up the middle of each tube and the galvanized appearance.

Good comparison here: https://www.hellcat.org/threads/stock-exhaust-picture.216985/

Obviously the cats and mids are stainless, and likely the axle back too. Most OEMs use cheap stainless these days as the exhaust rotting out is both an emissions and warranty issue. I would imagine the HCs are no different front to back.

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #9
To be honest I'm going by the details Mopar put out about the car in different articles . Also my SW cat deletes are a true 3in ID and I had to use the supplied adaptors on the stock pipes .

You could be correct, the Vibrant has a 3 " ID and it will slide over the pipe, but not by a lot. Maybe it is 2 3/4 ID?

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
2016 sales brochure says active performance stainless steel pipes 2.75”. It doesn’t elaborate past that.
9C84188A-0869-4F8C-AC4B-7DAE08FAB189.jpeg

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
All manufactures use stainless steel but I think it's like 403 like Hpindy said "low grade"