Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

FYI-Harbor Freight Jack Stand recall...

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Found this over on the SigForum. Link to article:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/harbor-freight-recall-jackstands-collapse/

Harbor Freight recalls 454,000 jack stands over concerns they could collapse.

The affected Pittsburgh-brand three- and six-ton jack stands were in production for six years, and span three separate model numbers.

Odds are good that you or someone you know has a set of these lurking in the garage. Make sure you check the number before you use them again, and tell everyone you know.

People make all kinds of jokes about the quality of tools and equipment that come from Harbor Freight. The truth is that despite its cheapness and tendency to break after a couple of uses, most of the stuff from Harbor Freight is fine. It makes the car industry possible for many enthusiasts on limited budgets, especially when it pertains to things like jacks and jack stands.

It's the latter of those two that has come back to bite us in the ass, because Harbor Freight is now recalling its Pittsburgh-brand three- and six-ton jack stands over risks that they could collapse during use, according to a filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (PDF) from March 20, and first reported on by The Drive on Tuesday.

The company is specifically recalling 454,000 units with model numbers 56371, 61196 and 61197. You can find these numbers (PDF) on the label on the top part of the stand on three-ton units, or a yellow sticker on the base on six-ton units.

According to Harbor Freight's NHTSA filing, the problem with these jack stands is that due to worn tooling at the factory, the pawl that engages with the toothed height-adjustable part of the stand doesn't do so sufficiently to reliably lock it in place. A bump or a knock could cause the pawl to disengage, dropping the vehicle suddenly.

With 454,000 units in question, the odds are good that you or someone you know owns a set of these, so please go and check them now and urge your family and friends to do so too. The exchange process is as simple as bringing your affected jack stands to your local Harbor Freight, once stores are reopened, where you'll be reimbursed for them with a store gift card for the current shelf price of comparable models.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Saw this on BITOG site. Going to check the #’s on my set.

edit: Yup I’ve got the bad 61196 stands. To think I spent a good amount of time under my GTO with those holding it up. :mad:

Last edited:

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Never would I buy anything from harbor freight that had to do with holding anything heavy.Scary stuff. Engine hosts are another scary item they sell

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Yikes, took this long to figure that out ?? Wonder if anyone has been injured ?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Yikes, took this long to figure that out ?? Wonder if anyone has been injured ?
That’s what I figured. Never heard of anyone being killed by a collapsed HF jack stand. Certainly would have been news worthy.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I have been using their jack stands, jacks & engine hoists for years , with no problem.

i will check part #'s to see what i have ?

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville