Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Front left noise after braking (not the rotor tick)

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Octane Red HC WB Redeye
Occasionally under medium to heavy breaking, when I come to a stop I hear a noise from the front left that sounds like a mechanical component of some kind resetting or cycling, not a whine or a buzz but a clear two stage knock. As soon as the car settles is when it happens. If I brake nice and easy, nothing. I'm going to check the rotor ring nuts this weekend. The lugs and mounting surface are clean and tight, torqued correctly etc.
Has anyone else experienced this?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Occasionally under medium to heavy breaking, when I come to a stop I hear a noise from the front left that sounds like a mechanical component of some kind resetting or cycling, not a whine or a buzz but a clear two stage knock. As soon as the car settles is when it happens. If I brake nice and easy, nothing. I'm going to check the rotor ring nuts this weekend. The lugs and mounting surface are clean and tight, torqued correctly etc.

I have not, but also check things like the caliper mounting bolts.

(Have you ever broken torque on them? Or are they still factory mounted?)

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I have not, but also check things like the caliper mounting bolts.

(Have you ever broken torque on them? Or are they still factory mounted?)
Factory mounted. Pad change soon though.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
I would also check the spring pads, maybe not fully in?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Factory mounted. Pad change soon though.

Ok, still check for witness marks around the heads to see they they, or any other bolts in the front suspension, are shifting under changing loads.

OP
SDREDEYE

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I didn't get a chance to pull the wheel this weekend but focused more on when the sound occurs and it's definitely after the car settles when stopping. It doesn't really sound like a suspension thunk but higher pitched like something cycling. It also doesn't do it every time. I hate problems like that.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Have a sound file?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I didn't get a chance to pull the wheel this weekend but focused more on when the sound occurs and it's definitely after the car settles when stopping. It doesn't really sound like a suspension thunk but higher pitched like something cycling. It also doesn't do it every time. I hate problems like that.

I've been known to put a Hero camera under the car to try and find problems...

7:30 mark is a small bit of fun

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

(mine too)

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
I may be experiencing the same thing. It’s driving me crazy. I would describe mine more like a clunking knock. It’s hard to say if it’s from the engine bay, or from inside the dash (almost like vent ducts cycling?). It is definitely front left. Here is how mines plays out:
1- It only happens once every drive
2- After the car is fully stopped (it’ll be a good 10-20 seconds or so, not rolling onto or off the brakes, but after fully stopped)
3- Seems to only be when the car is cold, as far as I’ve noticed. After I’ve been driving and it’s at temp, it won’t happen again on that drive.

It’s driving my wife and me nuts. I have just over 3500 miles on it. I’ve never broken torque on the wheels/rotors, etc. It’s not the clicking noise many have posted and shown video of. This is a clunking knock. I agree it sounds like something mechanical cycling.

I thought I was the only one!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
How loud is this sound?

Maybe a feature of just the challengers?

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just took video from the drivers seat. It happened almost exactly 5 minutes into my drive after a cold start, and after about 12 seconds of being completely stopped at a light on a level road, no movement at all of the car. You clearly hear the double clunk that OP describes.

It only allows me to post photos on here... Anyone know how I can post a the video that's saved on my phone or laptop?

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
Just took video from the drivers seat. It happened almost exactly 5 minutes into my drive after a cold start, and after about 12 seconds of being completely stopped at a light on a level road, no movement at all of the car. You clearly hear the double clunk that OP describes.

It only allows me to post photos on here... Anyone know how I can post a the video that's saved on my phone or laptop?
Upload to YouTube, post link here.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Upload to YouTube, post link here.

Youtube works well, other video hosting sites work as well, so I'm told

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ok here is the video. Right about the 00:00:14 mark you’ll hear it (may need headphones).

https://youtube.com/shorts/QVuRPgbQCCY?feature=share

-It appears to be coming from the engine bay, specifically front left
-Happens every drive when starting cold
-Usually around 5-7 minutes into the drive
-Occurs after completely stopped and the vehicle is still for about 12-15 seconds, give or take
-I never hear it after the vehicle is warmed up, nor does anything replicate when the suspension is in motion (speed bumps, pot holes, extension, compression, etc.)
-Visual inspection on a four post lift doesn’t reveal anything loose/broken/out of place
-For what it’s worth, I don’t “feel” it at the pedals or the steering wheel
-I agree that it is a double “clunk”, and seems to be something mechanically actuating/cycling

@SDREDEYE , is this similar to your issue?

Thanks all for the video posting help.

Boricuoso787

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
SOLVED!

I found the culprit...
It appears the sound is caused by the Purge Control Valve mounted on the driver’s side strut tower. Place your hand on it when starting the car and you’ll feel (and hear) it. That said, I believe it’s simply cycling as @SDREDEYE eluded to in the original post. OR.... it’s bad and we’re both screwed :LOL:. Here’s another quick video with the hood open. Listen closely and you’ll hear the same sound as my initial video from the driver’s seat earlier today.

Culprit:

Original video (14 seconds in) https://youtube.com/shorts/QVuRPgbQCCY?feature=share

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
On the plus side, if that is indeed it, it's super easy to replace.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
I may be experiencing the same thing. It’s driving me crazy. I would describe mine more like a clunking knock. It’s hard to say if it’s from the engine bay, or from inside the dash (almost like vent ducts cycling?). It is definitely front left. Here is how mines plays out:
1- It only happens once every drive
2- After the car is fully stopped (it’ll be a good 10-20 seconds or so, not rolling onto or off the brakes, but after fully stopped)
3- Seems to only be when the car is cold, as far as I’ve noticed. After I’ve been driving and it’s at temp, it won’t happen again on that drive.

It’s driving my wife and me nuts. I have just over 3500 miles on it. I’ve never broken torque on the wheels/rotors, etc. It’s not the clicking noise many have posted and shown video of. This is a clunking knock. I agree it sounds like something mechanical cycling.

I thought I was the only one!
Hi Boricuoso787 and SDREDEYE,
We sincerely regret to hear of all the trouble. Please see the attached document to view a Service Bulletin that may address your concern. We recommend visiting your deal to get this repaired.

Rob
Dodge Cares

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Fail...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hi Boricuoso787 and SDREDEYE,
We sincerely regret to hear of all the trouble. Please see the attached document to view a Service Bulletin that may address your concern. We recommend visiting your deal to get this repaired.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Wait.... What?

what the heck.gif

Latest Forum Posts