Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

From Uconnect replacement to MAJOR repair

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
What started as taking my car to the dealer to replace the uconnect, turned into a crash along the way by an underinsured driver. Damage to both front and back. So as of today, it appears they are going to repair the car, 65 days and they are taking it to the shell to replace both rear quarter panels, front and rear bumpers and everything under them, rear floor pan, all items located in the trunk, and all items forward of the engine pulleys. It is sad that we have expensive cars and other drivers can get by with driving with no where near enough coverage to pay for others damage!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What started as taking my car to the dealer to replace the uconnect, turned into a crash along the way by an underinsured driver. Damage to both front and back. So as of today, it appears they are going to repair the car, 65 days and they are taking it to the shell to replace both rear quarter panels, front and rear bumpers and everything under them, rear floor pan, all items located in the trunk, and all items forward of the engine pulleys. It is sad that we have expensive cars and other drivers can get by with driving with no where near enough coverage to pay for others damage!

Sorry to hear about this.

Have you had a chance to think about what you might do with it after the repairs are complete?

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #3
The wife said we are going to trade it in...not sure at this point. I was very careful, protective, shall I say disciplined, due it being 1 of 1. Now with all the value gone, I am thinking Barton, rear diff brace, drive it like it was designed for. I mentioned TRX to my wife, but we dont want another high dollar vehicle that an underinsured Ford Taurus can just destroy because they are allowed to drive with no license and little insurance coverage.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Oh man, that sucks. You work hard to be able to have a few nice things and the irresponsible show up. There's a reason that driver didn't have a license.

I like what you are thinking about mods after the car is repaired. Any other upgrades on the list?

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #5
To be honest, the car never crossed my mind as much as being glad my wife and I were ok , for the most part. The car safety features did their job and absorbed the impact...at the cost of its own life. The repair shop is replacing every crash panel front and back. I am surprised they can even repair it. When we bought it, we had plans of track days, autocross...you know all the stuff you see in the commercials. Turns out when we bought the extended warranty, you cant do any of the stuff the Dodge Brothers show on tv....so the shifter, the diff brace have been sitting on a shelf. Power wise, it needs nothing for me, its completely insane as it is. Just having to go back through the ceramic coating, paint protection film, etc.....that is all a pain in the butt.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Didn't know your lady was with you! Figured you were okay because you are posting. Thank God you are Both okay!!!

Don't know what the crash does to the extended warranty..might be worth looking into canceling and get some $ back and use it to buy parts for upgrades (maybe wheels, tires, suspension)?

Keep us posted and good luck with fixing her up!

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #7
Didn't know your lady was with you! Figured you were okay because you are posting. Thank God you are Both okay!!!

Don't know what the crash does to the extended warranty..might be worth looking into canceling and get some $ back and use it to buy parts for upgrades (maybe wheels, tires, suspension)?

Keep us posted and good luck with fixing her up!
The Good Lord was looking out for us!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Dang. Aren't you the second one to get hit on the way to a dealer recently?
No wonder I stay clear of them. I'd really hate to get any damage on my '18 - that I couldn't fix myself.

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #9
Just an update....repairs are underway, more items found that need replacement so the cost has went up from the original estimate to now about 60% more than the original. Good news is they are going to replace the uconnect while they have the dash out of the car.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Just an update....repairs are underway, more items found that need replacement so the cost has went up from the original estimate to now about 60% more than the original. Good news is they are going to replace the uconnect while they have the dash out of the car.
Sorry to hear this happen to yall, glad yall are ok, can't believe they are repairing it & not totaling it out at 60%, & I assume the air bags blew out.

Good luck to ya when it's done.

Last edited:

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Glad you both are OK. With all that damage/work done, how is the car not totalled?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Wow glad your ok that's the main thing.
Do you have any pictures of the damage?

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Sorry for your tale. I hope any physical aches and pains are mild. If not, i hope you get such things on record. Best wishes!

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #14
I am at a loss as to how it has not been totaled yet, the costs for repair, diminished value, 2.5 months of rental car....insurance is saying it has to reach 76%. No airbag deployment, but we both suffered what the doctor called soft tissue damage. Recovery has been slow, but the fact that the car absorbed so much impact just amazes me.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
The wife said we are going to trade it in..
Kwalski I hate it for you and wish you the best.
I love how your wife thinks! There are still states that do not require safety inspections, I think all states should have safety inspections and get all the junk off the road!
If my Hellcat was wrecked I'd sell it "heartbeat"

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #16
Looks like parts are delayed. Who knows when it will be ready.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
lol, that's one way to do it. Next time I need it replaced I'll wrech the car :)

Glad to hear they're doing you right.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Looks like parts are delayed. Who knows when it will be ready.
As noted in my Uconnect replacement thread, what I found out (at least for 2017 and earlier) is that they do not keep stock for replacements. They only send out remanufactured units for warranty replacements, and if they don't have on that has been remanufactured ready to go, you have to wait until one comes in and is repaired (which is completely jacked up). It took 8 months or something like that for mine if I remember correctly (and I don't, my memory is not what it once was, but it was annoying).

OP
Kwalski

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #19
As noted in my Uconnect replacement thread, what I found out (at least for 2017 and earlier) is that they do not keep stock for replacements. They only send out remanufactured units for warranty replacements, and if they don't have on that has been remanufactured ready to go, you have to wait until one comes in and is repaired (which is completely jacked up). It took 8 months or something like that for mine if I remember correctly (and I don't, my memory is not what it once was, but it was annoying).
As my luck would have it. The original dealer that we were on our way to, had it ready to go. Apparently they are ordered against the VIN, so it comes pre programmed and ready to go with all the latest updates. Since my car never made it, they sent the UConnect back. Now the new dealer/body shop is starting the process all over to order again.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle