Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ford Vs Ferrari Have you seen the Movie? What do you think about it?

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Did you like the movie? Did it bring back any memories?

This past Sunday I went to the movies with my Daughter and Granson Chase to see Ford V Ferrari.

We all really enjoyed the movies and I wish my Husband John/Top Cat could have seen it too.

John thought very highly of Carrol Shelby and thought he was a genius at R&D for racing and building cars especially the Ford/Shelby American Muscle cars!!
He also had a love for the GT40 and wanted on so bad. Those years our kids were all young then ( 5 )

As I watched the movie Ford v Ferrari I realised why John wanted a GT40 so badly. It was at the time after Shelby and Ford began mending their broken relationship.
In 2002, one year after Shelby participated in Ford’s 100 Years of Racing Festival, the company brought him in as a consultant for the latest Ford GT.

John did not buy the GT40 our children were still very young, but in time he did buy a Superformance Cobra replica car a special one that the Chassis was built in South Africa like the original ones and had and of course he had a Shelby crate motor installed.
In the movie Superformance cars were used , the only companies in the world licensed by the legendary race car designer to build and sell new versions of the Ford GT40s and Cobras that made their namesake into a supercar superhero.

The movie has a lot about Shelby and his craft for car designs and builds played by Matt Damien, but it focus's a lot on Ken Miles played by Christian Bale the Driver for the GT40 in the La Mans.
We were Cheering Ken on through out the movie!
Shelby and Miles were amazing how they worked in tandem together and the R+D and some other things done to make the rules work were cool to watch.

If you haven't seen this you are missing out on a wonderful movie entailing some Fassst American Muscle Race History!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !

Linda
[burnout][burnout]

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Hi Linda. My wife, daughter and I saw the movie last Saturday and we all three really enjoyed it. It was great to relive a piece of American history about two very passionate car people achieving amazing results towards some aggressive goals. Highly recommend the movie as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the HC forum crew and thanks again to @HellcatFan for making this forum possible.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Camarillo
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Widebody Hellcat
Loved the movie. My first car was a ‘67 Mustang and I grew up in a FoMoCo family. Lots of history in the movie and one of the better productions I’ve seen in a long while. What I would do to get my hands on a GT40 and/or a ‘66 A/C Shelby Cobra :giggle:

OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
Hi Linda. My wife, daughter and I saw the movie last Saturday and we all three really enjoyed it. It was great to relive a piece of American history about two very passionate car people achieving amazing results towards some aggressive goals. Highly recommend the movie as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the HC forum crew and thanks again to @HellcatFan for making this forum possible.
I think it was really a family friendly terrific movie.

My Granson Chase was the boy my husbad was teaching skills to. Lots of Skills in this movie!

OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Loved the movie. My first car was a ‘67 Mustang and I grew up in a FoMoCo family. Lots of history in the movie and one of the better productions I’ve seen in a long while. What I would do to get my hands on a GT40 and/or a ‘66 A/C Shelby Cobra :giggle:
As I mentioned John had an AC Cobra Supreformance car.
He asked me one weekend if I would take it up to the local school as they were having a fundraiser and the car show was up front to bring in the crowd.

I said John I will do it but first I want to go out in the Cobra and take it for a drive. You taught me No grinding gears and I should be able to reverse.
We drove around our area. I did fine.
It was a late entry and I went up and asked if they were still taking in cars for the show.
Roll my eyes. the guy says to me "Well you have to have a Cool Car."
I looked at him dead in the eyes and said Is a AC Cobra Cool enough?
He said OMG was that you I passed the other night....yes please bring the Cobra in.
I really hate men who treat me like that!

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Saw it on IMAX a week ago, really loved it!

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I said John I will do it but first I want to go out in the Cobra and take it for a drive. You taught me No grinding gears and I should be able to reverse.
We drove around our area. I did fine.
It was a late entry and I went up and asked if they were still taking in cars for the show.
Roll my eyes. the guy says to me "Well you have to have a Cool Car."
I looked at him dead in the eyes and said Is a AC Cobra Cool enough?
He said OMG was that you I passed the other night....yes please bring the Cobra in.
I really hate men who treat me like that![/QUOTE]

loved to have seen his face,great memory.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I saw it Monday afternoon matinee. $5.35 a reserved high back recliner with personell

OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
I saw it Monday afternoon matinee. $5.35 a reserved high back recliner with personell
Good deal!
I can't believe it left you speechless?
No comment?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The movie left me with a greater appreciation of Shelby and the men who drove those cars in that era. The exact opposite of Ford and the cronies that ran those companies. Since the movie came out, there have been some documentaries on Netflix that detail what happened and it looks like the movie was pretty accurate. In 1965 I sat in a 289 Cobra on the showroom of the local Ford dealer. It was something like $4000 and I was making 1.25 a hour so there was no hope of buying it , but I remember sitting in that thing and wishing I could. A couple years later I was working at Jardine Headers in Garden Grove, Calif (not far from Shelby) and one of the 427 SC’s came in on a trailer for some work. I remember it was dark green. Just seeing and touching those cars was special enough to remember that 50 years later like it was yesterday. Twenty years ago I purchased a replica 427 SC that was one if the most accurate clones ever built with a 500hp 427 in it. What a hand full that thing could be if you pushed it! I came away with a real appreciation of what it would be like to race one of those things in competition. Scary would be a good description. My wife would drive it work every Friday and there was a signup list of her coworkers who would buy her lunch to ride in it. 5F4CBE43-C4EB-422A-9AE7-4D41C946FB5E.jpeg

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
I really hate men who treat me like that!
Why hate when it just says how special you are?

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
The movie was great. I’m sure they took some liberties with what actually occurred but learning more of the backstory was very cool. It’s no doubt one of the greatest historical times in American automotive history.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
The movie was great. I’m sure they took some liberties with what actually occurred but learning more of the backstory was very cool. It’s no doubt one of the greatest historical times in American automotive history.
I saw it last Saturday….guys like Shelby only come around so often...a mans man..I doubt we shall see the likes of this breed again in our life time...

OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
The movie left me with a greater appreciation of Shelby and the men who drove those cars in that era. The exact opposite of Ford and the cronies that ran those companies. Since the movie came out, there have been some documentaries on Netflix that detail what happened and it looks like the movie was pretty accurate. In 1965 I sat in a 289 Cobra on the showroom of the local Ford dealer. It was something like $4000 and I was making 1.25 a hour so there was no hope of buying it , but I remember sitting in that thing and wishing I could. A couple years later I was working at Jardine Headers in Garden Grove, Calif (not far from Shelby) and one of the 427 SC’s came in on a trailer for some work. I remember it was dark green. Just seeing and touching those cars was special enough to remember that 50 years later like it was yesterday. Twenty years ago I purchased a replica 427 SC that was one if the most accurate clones ever built with a 500hp 427 in it. What a hand full that thing could be if you pushed it! I came away with a real appreciation of what it would be like to race one of those things in competition. Scary would be a good description. My wife would drive it work every Friday and there was a signup list of her coworkers who would buy her lunch to ride in it. View attachment 7560
Who's Brand is yours?
Linda :)

OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
I saw it last Saturday….guys like Shelby only come around so often...a mans man..I doubt we shall see the likes of this breed again in our life time...
Honestly as I watched my husband Top Cat and thought about him during the R&D T&T times with his Hellcat that he missed out of where he should have been out working in muscle cars.
He loved Ford but really loved the challenge of the modern Hemi.
In his own electronic business he just excelled in the R&D challenge!

Linda:)

Last edited:
OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Why hate when it just says how special you are?
Thank you for that!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Who's Brand is yours?
It was manufactured by a company named Johnex in Canada. They were sold by a place called House of Cobras in Calif. The main difference between what they did and the other manufactures was what they called a perimeter space frame vs the common ladder frame. It actually had a full tube chassis where the others did not. At that point Shelby hadn’t started the “Continuation” series Cobras and Superformance was the best choice cost wise for a quality replica. There were a number of cheap ones like Factory 5 but by comparison, they were junk. The Johnex was more expensive but I lucked out and got it for less then half of what it cost new with only 400 miles on it. The guy’s wife refused to ride in it and he just basically said screw it and gave it away. Right place at the right time.

OP
Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #18
That's Cool I never heard of Cobras from Canada
The one I own now is a 1 of Chassis from South Africa
And I can say it was a replica for the ones that are now produced.

Do you remember when Shelby hired that Women for marketing ugggh she was horrible Everyone couldn't stand her The Toy Maker marketer.
She was terrible just listening to her.

Our Engine builder installer heard her talk and called her out on the car our he worked on
Aluminum Chassis from South Africa
She said no way!
She later called him out and said he was a liar
No car was built All AL from South Africa.
She was mistaken and later fired.
Superformance was working hard to work with Shelby.
And if you see the worked our everything very well.

Last edited:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I saw the movie Friday night with wife, it was her that said lets go see it. Twist my arm would ya. took the RE out for probably its last voyage before the big hibernation.
movie was great I thought. can't believe what they accomplished back then in such a short time. It just goes to show when a determined team of people could do in the face of massive opposition. I don't think I would have the stones or talent to really push the limits like that. and if I tried going to that level I would be in a pine box not enjoying this thread.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
That's Cool I never heard of Cobras from Canada
The one I own now is a 1 of Chassis from South Africa
And I can say it was a replica for the ones that are now produced.

Do you remember when Shelby hired that Women for marketing ugggh she was horrible Everyone couldn't stand her The Toy Maker marketer.
She was terrible just listening to her.

Our Engine builder installer heard her talk and called her out on the car our he worked on
Aluminum Chassis from South Africa
She said no way!
She later called him out and said he was a liar
No car was built All AL from South Africa.
She was mistaken and later fired.
Superformance was working hard to work with Shelby.
And if you see the worked our everything very well.

I remember the aluminum car from SA. I believe the Backdraft cars came out of SA. I lost track there were so many ‘here today/gone tomorrow’ makers. The real insults to the original are the so called donor cars that use old Fox Mustang parts. Everything is wrong with those misshapen things.