Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

First Time Drag Racing

HEI1CAT

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. Cloud
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
First off, the experience was incredibly fun! Having no idea what to really expect except from what I've read here and watching videos. I highly encourage anyone with one of these cars to go! A friend of mine has a WB Redeye and we met up at the track. We both arrived early, which is the key to having the time to prepare the car and yourself. But even more importantly, the track people having the patience to help you along when you don't quite know what to do. The people at Orlando Speed World were incredibly kind and patient.
On my very first attempt, I drove around the waterbox, backed up, then couldn't get to the line lock button on the screen because the backup camera had the "delay" option selected, so i pulled up slooooowly until the view of what was behind me went away. After that, the air pressure in the tires was too high, which lead to a massive burnout, I stopped, saw the pre-stage light lit, rolled up to staged, but I was actually staged with the back tires in the beams, The track guys thought that was hilarious for some reason.
After 3 not so great passes for me, and the Redeye getting better with every pass, we went out for the final time and actually had a drag race. When I released the brake, I don't know where he was because I was focused, but near the end I could see him next to me, and gaining. This was by far the best pass for me that night.

Attachments

OP
HEI1CAT

HEI1CAT

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. Cloud
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #2
Best picture of the night.

Attachments

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Nice job , glad you had fun , that's what it's all about !
The more you go the faster you'll get.
If your on stock tires ?.... some DR's will help a lot.

OP
HEI1CAT

HEI1CAT

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. Cloud
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
Thanks! I have DR's, 305, 555R's on 11" wheel from PKAD. The car has a DIRS, the wheels and tires and a catch can. Otherwise stock.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Looks good! I guess you realize your 60’ time needs a little work. With DR’s your 60’ should be from the low 1.7 down to mid 1.5 range. That will greatly reduce your ET. It just takes practice but finding the right tire pressure, a good burnout and staging properly will help you get the best times out of your car. Have fun!

Last edited:
OP
HEI1CAT

HEI1CAT

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. Cloud
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
With some practice I hope to be able to do a good burnout, definitely stage properly, and leave correctly. The car was great! The driver needs work.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
First time out, not bad.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
The track guys thought that was hilarious for some reason.
Because it is. Part of the reason is the stigma of owning one of these cars - being an inexperienced person in a 800hp car is going to make you an easier target than most. Move past it and learn from the experience, and be sure to have more fun on your way to mastering the car.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not knocking the 555R their good DR's but the M/T SS or R will do ya a little better at the track , I have found that 26psi is a good spot on good track prep.

OP
HEI1CAT

HEI1CAT

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. Cloud
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
Thanks, Mean Cat. I'll start at 26psi next time. I was wondering what pressure would be good. I was at 29psi. Also great advice on the tires.

OP
HEI1CAT

HEI1CAT

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. Cloud
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
Went back to the track and did much better! On this pass, I was lined up with my son in his 2018 Mustang GT. It was his worst pass of the night, my best one. I must have intimidated him.

Attachments

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Went back to the track and did much better! On this pass, I was lined up with my son in his 2018 Mustang GT. It was his worst pass of the night, my best one. I must have intimidated him.
(y)60’ time made the difference!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Good to see more people getting these cars to the track where you can actually use the power. You're learning a good ET is all in the 60'. Those Nitto 555R tires will settle in around a 1.6x 60 in my experience. They're what I use on the street. For the track I'd get a set of 17x10 wheels with some Mickey Thompson ET Street R tires. I run a 305/45R17 and can get mid 1.4x to low 1.5x 60 foots. If yours is a wide body you may check on a 315 size.