Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Fed Plans To Equip All New Cars With Auto Braking Systems

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Not the worst idea of all time....

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
So can you turn it off or?

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
If you have adaptive cruise (mostly 392 and below, don't remember if they started optioning it later in certain Hellcats), we already have it.

You can set it to warn only and/or brake. I know when I get too close to the car in front of me making a right turn in my lane, and knowing they'll be clear by the time I get there, it sets it off and scares the shit out of me every time. More concerning is that a Wendy's foil wrapper floating in the breeze in front of you can also set it off. I just have it set to warn for this very reason.

However, if they mandate it, it could be that they'll only have a button to temporarily disable it until the next startup, rather than a permanent disable.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
If you have adaptive cruise (mostly 392 and below, don't remember if they started optioning it later in certain Hellcats), we already have it.

You can set it to warn only and/or brake. I know when I get too close to the car in front of me making a right turn in my lane, and knowing they'll be clear by the time I get there, it sets it off and scares the shit out of me every time. More concerning is that a Wendy's foil wrapper floating in the breeze in front of you can also set it off. I just have it set to warn for this very reason.

However, if they mandate it, it could be that they'll only have a button to temporarily disable it until the next startup, rather than a permanent disable.
It was quite annoying in the Scat Pack but it did save my ass once.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Before I turned it off permanently, I was gently backing out of my garage in my new JGC. It sensed my other Jeep in the driveway that I wasn’t in any danger of hitting and applied the brakes so hard that for a second I thought I’d run into something.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Before I turned it off permanently, I was gently backing out of my garage in my new JGC. It sensed my other Jeep in the driveway that I wasn’t in any danger of hitting and applied the brakes so hard that for a second I thought I’d run into something.
I remember something similar in the 1500 Ram. I was backing up out at the back of the property. It saw long grass and slammed on the brakes. It was quite violent.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
More electronic nanny crap so we can dumb down driving like everything else in this country & make the world safe for idiots driving with no skills & their nose in a cell phone [rant][scream]

Wife's Honda Accord had this & it was WAY too sensitive and annoying AF. Forced you to leave a huge space when pulling up on cars stopped for a light unless you wanted to listen to the damn warning beep. It's in her Infiniti as well, but at least we're able to turn it mostly off. Thankfully, I was able to completely kill it in my M45s.

I had to turn off the backup system in the Durango, damn thing would not let me back out of the garage. Apparently the opening edges were too close for it & it would hammer the brakes every 2". 1st time it happened (day after I brought her home) I thought there was something wrong with the trans & it was freezing up :LOL:. Then saw the warning in the instrument cluster, went into Settings and shut it down :p

Yet another reason to keep my current cars going. We are becoming Cuba .....................

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Just think of all the punk kids that will walk out in front of you on purpose now knowing the car will stop.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB

I’ve got a ‘19 HC and it has the adaptive cruise. Mine was bought off the lot so dealer ordered it that way. The collision avoidance alert has gone off a few times and scared the shit out of me. Can’t say the brakes have ever been applied by the system but who knows, I might have it turned off. I’d have to check.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
It was quite annoying in the Scat Pack but it did save my ass once.
WOULD have saved me about a grand in damage last year. My 16 yr old was messing with the radio driving/not looking at 5-10 mph on our street and plowed into a parked neighbor's car.

Not her finest moment! o_O

Even at low speed, the damage was appreciable.

Last edited:

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
In general, I object to any/all of any fed interference in our lives. However, with all of the fools talking and texting I hope this may be a good thing. I have been rear-ended 3 times and 2 were definitely from Cranial Rectitus.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I remember something similar in the 1500 Ram. I was backing up out at the back of the property. It saw long grass and slammed on the brakes. It was quite violent.
Backing the girlfriend's TRX off the trailer once home with it, it slammed on the brakes. What the hell? Obviously thought I broke something, somehow, but a number of button pushes later it allowed me to back down onto the ground.

Sure glad I learned about the system's existence that way, instead of when in a curve on an icy road with an elk on the road.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Just think of all the punk kids that will walk out in front of you on purpose now knowing the car will stop.
Will make for an interesting dash cam video when they intentionally walk in front of an older car out of habit. Ah yes, just sit back and let Darwin do his thing.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
But if you can't drive without a nanny like that, you might need it.

Of course, if you might need it you shouldn't be driving.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Backing the girlfriend's TRX off the trailer once home with it, it slammed on the brakes. What the hell? Obviously thought I broke something, somehow, but a number of button pushes later it allowed me to back down onto the ground.

Sure glad I learned about the system's existence that way, instead of when in a curve on an icy road with an elk on the road.
I remember this being a big thing on the TRX forum. It was the first thing I shut off.

I do like adaptive cruise on a two lane highway, but it‘s too sensitive for the interstate.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
So, if someone rear ends you, it's the mfr's fault! :ROFLMAO:

Soon people will not be allowed to drive, hell, half of the youths don't want to anyway, I will never understand the desire to be dependent. It will all be Johnny Cabs, but with no Arnold override!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
So, if someone rear ends you, it's the mfr's fault! :ROFLMAO:

It will all be Johnny Cabs, but with no Arnold override!
That's what DavidKFla is looking forward to...booming business.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
That's what DavidKFla is looking forward to...booming business.
I thought David drove a cab...:unsure::unsure::unsure: