Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dust Fromm hell

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Ok my Redeye has the same dust from hell brakes my Hellcat had back in 2015. I replaced those with Z23,s. What low dust pads are you folks using?

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
@DGatzby could probably help

Linda [burnout]

Go Goody

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 Hellcat Challenger
Currently using z26...shopping for hawk HPS....I am looking for a little more bite

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Z23s or Z26s work fine for daily driving, but DO NOT expect them to handle a track day or even a spirited Sunday canyon run. I use the Z26s for normal street driving but have the OEM pads on a shelf ready to go back in for any serious driving.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Z23s or Z26s work fine for daily driving, but DO NOT expect them to handle a track day or even a spirited Sunday canyon run. I use the Z26s for normal street driving but have the OEM pads on a shelf ready to go back in for any serious driving.
No canyons in my valley and no squiggly road courses.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Z26 here. Front and rear. Pretty much zero dust.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Z26 here. Front and rear. Pretty much zero dust.
Could you be more specific with a part number?

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Could you be more specific with a part number?
Oh sorry it’s been a while. I could look it up for you though. Thought you were asking what brand.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Part #s-
15674780123275536423437816207015.jpg

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Saw my pooor Hell Critter on the lift with no flip flops on her and,,,, there is no where to vent the brake dust. Accumulates in the wheel wells. I am glad I got to see this. New pads the answer??

Go Goody

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 Hellcat Challenger
yes, YES!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
And that would be ??? I did read the posts but wondering the better of the best. Wile this critter is apart, it is time to change. Brake dust fire is not un eard of. It has 7,100 miles but taken apart, good time to rediaper.

Go Goody

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 Hellcat Challenger
I have the Powerstop z26 on now....I just ordered the Hawk HPS from HHP...the coupon saves a couple bucks...the Hawks come in around 300 for front and rears. I have had Hawks on my prior Charger and Challenger and they were great!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
How about Power Stop Z26 pads. Just ordered them. Good.

Go Goody

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stuart
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 Hellcat Challenger
fine....My feeling is that they do not have the same initial bite as OEM....I will be putting the car on the lift next week or so....wanted to try the Hawks on my cat...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
How about Power Stop Z26 pads. Just ordered them. Good.
@Hickster, let me SHOW you how the Z26's work. IMO you did good if you get tired of reading.

I washed this car 250 miles south of here last Saturday morning, drove it back up the Interstate, and have driven it four other times (short in town) this week. I don't use the brakes much, it is just my street style of driving, but I still need to stop. This is a pic of the front or what would be the most dusty wheels. As you can see, these don't dust.

IMG_0667.jpg
As far as bite comments etc. I drive this on road courses. I change the rotors and use some of the most nasty for the bite brake pads. The Brembo OEM pads are about that bad IMO. These Powerstops do not stop or bite equal to a pad that has dust, ok? Lack of dust and those attributes are inversely proportional. I HATE THAT BITE, FEELING OR WHATEVER you want to call it for street driving. I play a game and attempt to drive as smoothly as possible on the street. I may accelerate quick at times, but I try to stop and turn very smooth. These are gentle biting I guess, and smooth as silk to apply, and will stop this car in adequate distances, unless you are in real trouble. I have tested their stopping distance and they lack 10-15' off the best I'll say most can do. I have seen our stopping specs at btw 105-110' from 60 mph. On a regular HC with 275/40 tires I have seen about 120' with these Z26 pads. I have not tried the test on the RE yet. It would be good to hear from people with OEM, other pads and of course the Powerstop pads on their stopping distances from 60 mph. Make sure you go out in no-where-ville to stomp the brakes!

I am curious if anyone would try it safely to share what you can do. I'll start: So with my race setup, I have seen about 105'. With the aftermarket rotor/pads. (Demon Performance rotors X4 Hawk DTC-70r60f pads) They were not screaming hot where they actually bite and stop BETTER, but I just tried a cold panic stop to see what they had in them. Used 305/35 R888R for tires on the RE. In a Hellcat I used 285/35 PS4S tires (same equipment). Got about the same with the regular HC. I did try the RE once for the hell of it when I bolted them up the first time. The tires will make a difference, because if you really stomp down, the front tires will lose bite and the anti-lock will engage. You need to find the spot just prior to that pressure for whatever your car is wearing for front tires. Forget it, the rears are working barely because of the weight transfer so those big sticky tires really don't matter much here. On the course we actually trick it and use better brake pads out back to help balance it a little.

Oh and yes, I can feel one hell of a difference. This car has a much different braking feel with the different equipment we are talking about. So it's dust or not folks. Can you tolerate a bit longer stopping distance and can you tolerate the perceived "lack of bite" once you have experienced the OEM feeling for a while?

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
@Hickster, let me SHOW you how the Z26's work. IMO you did good if you get tired of reading.

I washed this car 250 miles south of here last Saturday morning, drove it back up the Interstate, and have driven it four other times (short in town) this week. I don't use the brakes much, it is just my street style of driving, but I still need to stop. This is a pic of the front or what would be the most dusty wheels. As you can see, these don't dust.

View attachment 1678
As far as bite comments etc. I drive this on road courses. I change the rotors and use some of the most nasty for the bite brake pads. The Brembo OEM pads are about that bad IMO. These Powerstops do not stop or bite equal to a pad that has dust, ok? Lack of dust and those attributes are inversely proportional. I HATE THAT BITE, FEELING OR WHATEVER you want to call it for street driving. I play a game and attempt to drive as smoothly as possible on the street. I may accelerate quick at times, but I try to stop and turn very smooth. These are gentle biting I guess, and smooth as silk to apply, and will stop this car in adequate distances, unless you are in real trouble. I have tested their stopping distance and they lack 10-15' off the best I'll say most can do. I have seen our stopping specs at btw 105-110' from 60 mph. On a regular HC with 275/40 tires I have seen about 120' with these Z26 pads. I have not tried the test on the RE yet. It would be good to hear from people with OEM, other pads and of course the Powerstop pads on their stopping distances from 60 mph. Make sure you go out in no-where-ville to stomp the brakes!

I am curious if anyone would try it safely to share what you can do. I'll start: So with my race setup, I have seen about 105'. With the aftermarket rotor/pads. (Demon Performance rotors X4 Hawk DTC-70r60f pads) They were not screaming hot where they actually bite and stop BETTER, but I just tried a cold panic stop to see what they had in them. Used 305/35 R888R for tires on the RE. In a Hellcat I used 285/35 PS4S tires (same equipment). Got about the same with the regular HC. I did try the RE once for the hell of it when I bolted them up the first time. The tires will make a difference, because if you really stomp down, the front tires will lose bite and the anti-lock will engage. You need to find the spot just prior to that pressure for whatever your car is wearing for front tires. Forget it, the rears are working barely because of the weight transfer so those big sticky tires really don't matter much here. On the course we actually trick it and use better brake pads out back to help balance it a little.

Oh and yes, I can feel one hell of a difference. This car has a much different braking feel with the different equipment we are talking about. So it's dust or not folks. Can you tolerate a bit longer stopping distance and can you tolerate the perceived "lack of bite" once you have experienced the OEM feeling for a while?
My feeling is this - the stock brakes are overkill on the street to begin with. Losing a very small initial bite still puts them far and away better than most street set ups. Ive been running the Pstops for three years now. Havent ever needed more at all. Never had them fade, nothing. You would have to be driving at road course levels to need more imo. The trade off is so worth it to me unless you drive like a banshee.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Z26's went on mine 2 weeks after I got it

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Good to hear. After I saw the build up with the wheel off, I did a back flip. The build up was incredible. The pic looks great and mine would not look that good going to the girly bar 3 blocks from home and back. The time to clean inside and out is awful waste of time . Looking for a great difference so I can spend more time with the girls. Looking to hear more concerning up grades for a better critter. Thanks for the info. Monday new flops.