Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DOT Approved vs DOT Legal

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Hoping someone can shed some light on the differences. NMCA Hemi Shootout said I cannot run the ET Street Pro because they are not dot legal only dot approved. I called Mickey Thompson and they said they have heard of people being ticketed over running they et street pro on the roads. I get they say not for highway use but my question how can something be dot approved but you legally cannot run the tire?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Curious what others say. I thought DOT stamp on the tire was the key.

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
The “Not for Highway Use” is the key difference. The fact that you can get ticketed means it’s not truly a street legal tire and some events will interpret their rules in a way that’ll exclude MT Pro’s for that reason.

Some rules will just say DOT and typically the Pro’s are allowed. Some will say dot legal or street legal and the Pro’s are not allowed. The wording matters but I’ve also seen inconsistent interpretations so often times it’s a question mark until you get to the event itself.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #4
The “Not for Highway Use” is the key difference. The fact that you can get ticketed means it’s not truly a street legal tire and some events will interpret their rules in a way that’ll exclude MT Pro’s for that reason.

Some rules will just say DOT and typically the Pro’s are allowed. Some will say dot legal or street legal and the Pro’s are not allowed. The wording matters but I’ve also seen inconsistent interpretations so often times it’s a question mark until you get to the event itself.
The confusing part dot and not for highway use are complete opposites I am really confused on how a tire can be both. I guess I will have to keep my et street r in the trailer now in case there is question

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Confounding 🙄. I have to guess that they are built to DOT standard, but M/T decided to not go the added expense of the street legal cert. I don’t think there is anything comparable in that size and capability that is legal. What is the closest option?

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
To be street legal I think there must be some sort of rain groove in the tire,

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
To be street legal I think there must be some sort of rain groove in the tire,
Yep. I just did some research and the difference between the ET-R (street legal) and the radial Pro is the two grooves down the center of the ET/R.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Confounding 🙄. I have to guess that they are built to DOT standard, but M/T decided to not go the added expense of the street legal cert. I don’t think there is anything comparable in that size and capability that is legal. What is the closest option?
I just answered my own question. MT has some new sizes with the ET-R (street legal) Radials. They now have a 295/65-15. 10.5 wide and 30.2” tall. That’s as close as you can get to the 315 Radial Pro. Looks like the answer to a street legal requirement.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Curious what others say. I thought DOT stamp on the tire was the key.
Dot stamp could mean dot spec like the hoosier dbrs, but they’re not legal for street use - just dot tire competition

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Dee Military Zilitary idiots whom have ass much ass atority ass da IRS. Deez numb nutts are taken wa 2 bre 2 driven court da 11th of August fer driven impeachment and eye testees, Numb nutts are sayen I can't drive cause sum one cumplained. WHAT??? I culd cumplain abouster 99% of da wing nutts on da streets. Due I drag dem into coooort, nope. Da courts have biggah problems dan wa. Dis cumplaint waz filed ova a year ago. Duren dat 13 munth purriod, I have had 0 accidents, 0 tickets frum da Nazassees frum anybody. I am a threat?? Drag my ass into Nazzi court 2 luuse my license, and I will. Eye went thru this 6 ears ago and failed da driven testees 3 times. In da lettah day sent said I needed 2 bring a licensed driver in case I failed. Gays wood take my license's away and have sum 1- 2 drive my M6 HC home??? R U F_ _ _ing kiden me at 11am. Dees cun stop oes don't even no watt dis car is much less a pursun I know. Dis is why I have 3 licenses, but snot 3 insurances. Ass wipes.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Its just a couple grooves guys thats the only difference in qualifying it as STREET legal. ET Sreet has groves Pro Radial does not. I went thru this with my buddy last year at a racing event for STREET cars and the tech stated the only difference in being STREET legal is the grove but the compound is also different with the Pro.

Otherise they would just put a groove in the Pro Radial. We all know grooves get worn on after a few burn outs but its just the groove that gives it the street designation for rain. But there is absolutely ZERO comparing of the two tires for traction like an absolute night and day difference in my experience.

Like the Street R sux and the Pro Radial is great thats my opinion when comparing both tires.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Tell us how u really feel Hickster......:sneaky: Ur posts still make me lol literally love em all!!!!!!

Dee Military Zilitary idiots whom have ass much ass atority ass da IRS. Deez numb nutts are taken wa 2 bre 2 driven court da 11th of August fer driven impeachment and eye testees, Numb nutts are sayen I can't drive cause sum one cumplained. WHAT??? I culd cumplain abouster 99% of da wing nutts on da streets. Due I drag dem into coooort, nope. Da courts have biggah problems dan wa. Dis cumplaint waz filed ova a year ago. Duren dat 13 munth purriod, I have had 0 accidents, 0 tickets frum da Nazassees frum anybody. I am a threat?? Drag my ass into Nazzi court 2 luuse my license, and I will. Eye went thru this 6 ears ago and failed da driven testees 3 times. In da lettah day sent said I needed 2 bring a licensed driver in case I failed. Gays wood take my license's away and have sum 1- 2 drive my M6 HC home??? R U F_ _ _ing kiden me at 11am. Dees cun stop oes don't even no watt dis car is much less a pursun I know. Dis is why I have 3 licenses, but snot 3 insurances. Ass wipes.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I just answered my own question. MT has some new sizes with the ET-R (street legal) Radials. They now have a 295/65-15. 10.5 wide and 30.2” tall. That’s as close as you can get to the 315 Radial Pro. Looks like the answer to a street legal requirement.
I run these as my dailies, have been for a year. @HighHorseman put me onto these. When it's track time then I swap out. My living room looks like a tire shop... Five pairs of welds... and I wonder where all my fucking money went.

However, still would not push the ET Street R in the rain with that skimpy rain groove.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
ITS CRAZY THAT THEY EVEN WORRY ABOUT THAT WHEN YOUR DRAG RACING ON A TRACK ( BUNCH OF LIBRAL BUULSHIT IS ALL THAT IS ) PROBABLY BECAUSE SOME LOSER LOST AND SAW THAT THE OTHER GUY HAD A DIFFERENT TIRE

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Bro after a month or so of driving there is no rain groove in ANY drag radial.....

I run these as my dailies, have been for a year. @HighHorseman

However, still would not push the ET Street R in the rain with that skimpy rain groove.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Bro after a month or so of driving there is no rain groove in ANY drag radial.....
That's what grooving irons are for.