Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Does your Redeye idle smooth?

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
Hey gang, I was wondering if your Redeye idles smoothly?
Also wondering if anyone has changed plugs and noticed any difference? I don't want to replace plugs just for fun!
Wile at idle, there is a bit of roughness that I can feel. Not sure if it is just the HP nature of this engine or what. I have just over 12000 miles on it and drive it as hard as it will run probably more than most on here. Not mistreating it, just getting all the performance it will generate. Seems like the performance has dropped off a bit, but maybe I am just getting used to it. Need to get it to the 1/4 mile dyno with good track prep to confirm.
Thanks in advance.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Is it possible you got some bad gas?

Last edited:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Mine idles real smooth at almost 11k miles, it is a little lumpy and shakes a little, but the engine seems to hold a pretty constant rpm and idles easy IMO.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Could you video it?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
So smooth I did a short video last year!
Compare yours...

OP
SIXGUN

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Is is possible you got some bad gas?
It has done this pretty consistently. I've been thinking it is just the nature of this beast! I love this car!!

OP
SIXGUN

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Could you video it?
This is a seat of the pants thing. You can feel it, doesn't make a noise. It ies smooth, then a couple bumps, then smooth. Not consistently bumpy, but the pattern is consistent, as if only a couple cylinders.
Probably normal, just thought I'd ask you guys. The M6 HC Challenger I drove for the weekend at Bondurant was smoother, but they were using black keys. I wouldn't expect an idle difference regardless of mode, but maybe there is an initial timing difference or something. I don't want to change 16 plugs at 12000 miles for nothing, but that would confirm it. Just getting into racing season, so want to figure this out before. The car has run a best of 10.55 @4720 lbs with me in it and M/T ET Sreet R 305/18 with a 1.50 60'. Probably has more if I can figure out how to drive it better.) and has gone 195mph before running out of room (closed course of course), so it is no slouch. Just wondering if plugs need to be changed more often on the Redeye.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
This is a seat of the pants thing. You can feel it, doesn't make a noise. It ies smooth, then a couple bumps, then smooth. Not consistently bumpy, but the pattern is consistent, as if only a couple cylinders.
Probably normal, just thought I'd ask you guys. The M6 HC Challenger I drove for the weekend at Bondurant was smoother, but they were using black keys. I wouldn't expect an idle difference regardless of mode, but maybe there is an initial timing difference or something. I don't want to change 16 plugs at 12000 miles for nothing, but that would confirm it. Just getting into racing season, so want to figure this out before. The car has run a best of 10.55 @4720 lbs with me in it and M/T ET Sreet R 305/18 with a 1.50 60'. Probably has more if I can figure out how to drive it better.) and has gone 195mph before running out of room (closed course of course), so it is no slouch. Just wondering if plugs need to be changed more often on the Redeye.
I only have about 3000 miles on mine and it idles pretty smooth. I have around 200 passes on the car. It did have a little bit of a rough idle after taking it out of winter storage because of bad gas. I ran the tank down low then put in some 94 with some octane booster and @Hpindy flashed the computer to reset the adaptive's and it was smooth again. Maybe try resetting the adaptives? If that doesn't work maybe then try the plugs.

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Given that you drive it hard, I would change the plugs every 12k miles anyway, even if that's not causing your rough idle.

OP
SIXGUN

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I only have about 3000 miles on mine and it idles pretty smooth. I have around 200 passes on the car. It did have a little bit of a rough idle after taking it out of winter storage because of bad gas. I ran the tank down low then put in some 94 with some octane booster and @Hpindy flashed the computer to reset the adaptive's and it was smooth again. Maybe try resetting the adaptives? If that doesn't work maybe then try the plugs.
How do you reset the adaptives?
Thanks

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
How do you reset the adaptives?
Thanks
You could get your dealer to do it next time you go in. They will be able to do it for you
I had a forum member do it for me. @Hpindy might be able to explain how to do it.

Last edited:
OP
SIXGUN

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Thanks

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
It has done this pretty consistently. I've been thinking it is just the nature of this beast! I love this car!!
Have you ever put raceway gas in your car?

OP
SIXGUN

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Have you ever put raceway gas in your car?
Nope, just Tier 1, mostly Shell Premium 93.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I used HP Tuners to reset Markp's adaptives and throttle relearn . You don't have to unlock the Ecu for that but you will need the bypass cable . I used the Z automotive one that goes in the trunk because it was easy to install temporarily .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My '16 has always had an 'lumpy' idle, same as you are experiencing in your RE. I just assumed it was the nature of the beast. Kinda like it actually, vaguely reminiscent of an old school cam'ed muscle car ;)

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
My '16 has always had an 'lumpy' idle, same as you are experiencing in your RE. I just assumed it was the nature of the beast. Kinda like it actually, vaguely reminiscent of an old school cam'ed muscle car ;)
Same with my '15. It makes the wife nervous...'This thing feels like it's just going to take off on you!'